Stand Your Ground

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Stand Your Ground

Postby M-5 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:04 pm

tensions are high around here right now it would not take much for people to react . There are thousand of good folk coming in to help but with that there will scum of the earth looking for an easy mark. LEO's I know have been telling folks that can legally carry to do so because it is very dangerous right now ,.
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:08 pm

True story:

My brother owned and operated a service station and did small engine repairs, chainsaws, lawnmowers, etc. He had a salvage yard behind the main building. A friend came into the service area and told my brother that a man was stealing a surplus engine from behind the building. My brother caught him. He made the guy take the engine to the front of the station. He told the guy to set the engine down on the pavement. My brother got a sledgehammer. (BTW: I wasn't there but a group of regulars formed a little crowd around the scene. I suspect they knew Henry was going to do something dramatic. My other brother was there. Lol). He took the sledgehammer and beat the engine to smithereens. He turned to the guy who tried to steal it and said: "All you would have had to do is ask for it".
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:23 pm

If person picks up item(s) in a store and secrets them in their backpack and is challenged they did nothing wrong because they were going to take them back out of their pack and pay for them.

If they are not challenged they simply walk away.
Got it. :D :nod: :nod:
Last edited by Ryder on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Ryder wrote:If person picks up item(s) in a store and secrets them on their backpack and is challenged they did nothing wrong because they were going to take them back out of their pack and pay for them.

If they are not challenged they simply walk away.
Got it. :D :nod: :nod:

Because stuffing a hatchet down your pants (or backpack) is SOO much easier than using a shopping cat of shopping basket........
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:35 pm

slick4591 wrote:My former job was just that... a job. My oath didn't state that I had to change my personal views in life, just stated that I had to uphold the Constitution, laws of the United States and the laws of Texas to the best of my ability. When I retired no one excused me from that oath, so I still take it seriously. But, the question I asked wasn't about me. It was about you and your line. Apparently, you think it's okay for anyone to to steal and escape without consequences, or do you have a line?

As we see all the time, though, a person's beliefs don't necessarily end with the donning of a badge. We see sheriff departments refusing to hand over folks to ICE, and we see "constitutional" sheriffs who would refuse to cooperate with federal officials such as the Bundy fiasco. To answer your question, no I don't believe that a theft deserves execution. I can see an instance where that someone would believe they have the "right" to kill someone if said theft resulted in destitution, such as Bernie Madoff. But there is 0 justification for killing someone over a $15 dollar item. This will be an interesting case to follow.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:41 pm

M-5 wrote:tensions are high around here right now it would not take much for people to react . There are thousand of good folk coming in to help but with that there will scum of the earth looking for an easy mark. LEO's I know have been telling folks that can legally carry to do so because it is very dangerous right now ,.

Givers and Takers. Predators and Prey. Sad but it’s reality. You be careful Dash. If the only way I can have something is to take it from someone else then I will do without it. But everyone clearly doesn’t think this way. I pray that it doesn’t get worse for your area during the cleanup and rebuilding.

Maybe the ones that beat the man and stole the chainsaw will cut their leg off.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:54 pm

greybeard wrote:At what monetary value IS it worth killing over?

Do I need to re-phrase the question BoW?
Or, are you saying there can never be a monetary value high enough to warrant it?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
slick4591 wrote:My former job was just that... a job. My oath didn't state that I had to change my personal views in life, just stated that I had to uphold the Constitution, laws of the United States and the laws of Texas to the best of my ability. When I retired no one excused me from that oath, so I still take it seriously. But, the question I asked wasn't about me. It was about you and your line. Apparently, you think it's okay for anyone to to steal and escape without consequences, or do you have a line?

As we see all the time, though, a person's beliefs don't necessarily end with the donning of a badge. We see sheriff departments refusing to hand over folks to ICE, and we see "constitutional" sheriffs who would refuse to cooperate with federal officials such as the Bundy fiasco. To answer your question, no I don't believe that a theft deserves execution. I can see an instance where that someone would believe they have the "right" to kill someone if said theft resulted in destitution, such as Bernie Madoff. But there is 0 justification for killing someone over a $15 dollar item. This will be an interesting case to follow.

There's your answer greybeard.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:As we see all the time, though, a person's beliefs don't necessarily end with the donning of a badge. We see sheriff departments refusing to hand over folks to ICE, and we see "constitutional" sheriffs who would refuse to cooperate with federal officials such as the Bundy fiasco. To answer your question, no I don't believe that a theft deserves execution. I can see an instance where that someone would believe they have the "right" to kill someone if said theft resulted in destitution, such as Bernie Madoff. But there is 0 justification for killing someone over a $15 dollar item. This will be an interesting case to follow.

What we are seeing is law enforcement officials (local, state and federal) not honoring their oaths of office. Instead, they are turning to politics and getting by with sloughing their duties while flying the PC flag.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:17 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:As we see all the time, though, a person's beliefs don't necessarily end with the donning of a badge. We see sheriff departments refusing to hand over folks to ICE, and we see "constitutional" sheriffs who would refuse to cooperate with federal officials such as the Bundy fiasco. To answer your question, no I don't believe that a theft deserves execution. I can see an instance where that someone would believe they have the "right" to kill someone if said theft resulted in destitution, such as Bernie Madoff. But there is 0 justification for killing someone over a $15 dollar item. This will be an interesting case to follow.

What we are seeing is law enforcement officials (local, state and federal) not honoring their oaths of office. Instead, they are turning to politics and getting by with sloughing their duties while flying the PC flag.

It's interesting you posted this. I was talking with a sheriff's deputy last night(drug task force) and he stated this statement almost verbatim. Naturally, I asked why this is happening and he offered a multitude of possible factors.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 pm

greybeard wrote:

Or, are you saying there can never be a monetary value high enough to warrant it?

Missed it, sorry. As you are aware, execution is a final solution. It is the ultimate act of vengeance which should be saved for violent crimes or major crimes of a sexual nature. (By that I mean no one should be shooting anyone for grabbing their butt, just to clarify)
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:27 pm

I think I would like your brother Ron. Is he still with us?
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:39 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:Just another perfect example of don’t break the law and you won’t have to worry about being shot.

So many these days sympathize with criminals because of how they are treated while breaking the law.

Where I live if I chose to steal from someone I would know that there was a very good chance I would be shot at. It’s that simple.

What about the law abiding citizens rights. A man trying to run a small store wouldn’t be in business very long if he allowed everyone who decided to steal from him just walk out the door.

One things for sure,he sure shortened the list for potential thieves in the future...
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
slick4591 wrote:Too bad some thief decided that his life was only worth a $15 hatchet. Makes me wonder if it had been $150,000 diamond bracelet would have been any different for you, Best?

As a former law enforcement agent, I'm surprised by your remark. The individual was clearly not in a threatening manner while being shot. He was trying to flee. Had it happened during a fight or the person was coming at him, that would be different.

Best if more people did what the store owners did the world would be a better place.. the haves of this world can't roll over and take losses because the have nots aren't willing to get out and work for what they want. Americans need to wake up and stand up for what they have worked for. He didn't get shot for singing to loud in church or helping a old lady cross the street... Wake up and get real lawful store owner protecting his livelihood is just like us protecting our livestock. I feel more sorry for the predators cause there trying to live and don't know any better... Humans know better no matter how you slice it
3 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
greybeard wrote:

Missed it, sorry. As you are aware, execution is a final solution. It is the ultimate act of vengeance which should be saved for violent crimes or major crimes of a sexual nature. (By that I mean no one should be shooting anyone for grabbing their butt, just to clarify)

Evidently, I do need to re-phrase it, as you (and others) have declined to answer the question and opted to make up a new/different question to answer instead.
I cannot say I'm surprised at this.
0 x

Covet Not!

Return to “Coffee Shop”