Ireland

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Ireland

Postby Hook2.0 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Anyone been?
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Ireland

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:05 pm

No. I figure I can fight, drink and/or starve right here at home.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 am

What do you want to know? Never been, but some of my family has. Nice place, not near the trouble around as used to be in the <90s. Lots of farming around.
0 x

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:What do you want to know? Never been, but some of my family has. Nice place, not near the trouble around as used to be in the <90s. Lots of farming around.

Looking at a trip next June. How’s the lodging there for someone wanting to stay a different place each night? I think we’re just going to ramble around in a rental and play things by ear
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Supa Dexta wrote:What do you want to know? Never been, but some of my family has. Nice place, not near the trouble around as used to be in the <90s. Lots of farming around.

Looking at a trip next June. How’s the lodging there for someone wanting to stay a different place each night? I think we’re just going to ramble around in a rental and play things by ear

We went there several years ago, were there for ten days and did just what you describe. Rented a van and stayed in a different B&B every night. No problem at all finding a place. There'd be a sort of welcome center in every town that would have listings for local lodging. We were there in June also.
1 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Awesome. Thanks for that info!
0 x

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby farmguy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

We went several years ago in June. I scheduled B & Bs myself on line, rented car. Visited a local Hereford breeder also. Great time, except they drive on the other side of the road and backroads especially very narrow, They drive like crazy. I remember first pub we entered was playing Johny Cash. Very friendly people, get used to being called Yank. We spent one night and day on the Ayran islands, well worth it. farmguy
1 x

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Appreciate the info farmguy
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Lots of tractors in the countryside in Ireland driving down the highway. They must have 2 or 3 more gears than what we have here, seemed like they were going 40 mph. You'd have to catch a passing gear to get around them. Farmguy's right about the roads being narrow. Not so much narrow, but in many places there's flowering shrubbery 10 feet tall growing right up next to the pavement, it's almost like being in a tunnel. Be sure and stop when you see a young lass selling strawberries by the roadside.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:59 pm

I was there in 1978. FWIW, it was a wonderful trip! We went to Dublin, and traveled around that area.

A friend of ours went last year, and they did what you want to do. They rented a car, did some air b-n-b deals, and drove around. They had a great time, and everything went well for them. There were there for a week.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Be sure and stop when you see a young lass selling strawberries by the roadside.

How are the "strawberries"?
Pics?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:21 am

greybeard wrote:
Be sure and stop when you see a young lass selling strawberries by the roadside.

Pics?

Strawberries great. I got pics, but it was before I I had a digital camera. I have an album full of them somewhere.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:45 am

ga.prime wrote:
greybeard wrote:

Pics?

Strawberries great. I got pics, but it was before I I had a digital camera. I have an album full of them somewhere.

I know what you mean. I have boxes of 35mm paper photos as well, from the pre-digital age. Would take eons for me to catalog and scan them all.

Your fruit shopping suggestion conjured up a mental image of a young woman in peasant blouse selling strawberries, while flashing a pretty smile

but, my own experiences have always been a lot closer (or worse than) this
2 x

Covet Not!

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Wife went a few years ago with a group of girls and they rode horses across the island. She loved it, as well as the people. Pictures she brought home were gorgeous, the Cliffs of Moor stand out in my head.

I work with some guys from Ireland from time to time, they're all happy-go-lucky blokes and drink like fishes. I may go visit them sometime, it's about the only place outside the US that I'd care to see.
2 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:34 pm

That sounds like fun. Can’t wait to see the strawberries :mrgreen:
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”