Ag Recession ?

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Ag Recession ?

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Their debt is killing them not policy. It was just a matter of time. The weak will get out and the strong will get stronger. That's basic business.

Yes, American style capitalism does promote consolidation, both inside and outside of ag. But there are still policy issues in ag. Our overaching ag policy is cheap food - - not good food. Eating local and natural and organic and grass fed and conservation and soil health and traceability programs are all trying to push back on this.

"American style capitalism" :lol: Which style of capitalism doesn't do that?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:59 am

Redgully wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Their debt is killing them not policy. It was just a matter of time. The weak will get out and the strong will get stronger. That's basic business.

Yes, American style capitalism does promote consolidation, both inside and outside of ag. But there are still policy issues in ag. Our overaching ag policy is cheap food - - not good food. Eating local and natural and organic and grass fed and conservation and soil health and traceability programs are all trying to push back on this.

We've been down that road with fruit growing. Everyone goes on about wanting un waxed traceable apples. So we did it, but in the end people just buy the cheap shiny apples. Here in Australia there is a huge push for Australian grown, but people still buy the cheap imports and wonder why we growers pulled out our orchards. Cash is king. There is people who care but just not enough of them.

This! I suspect your post holds true with most things. People vote with their pocketbooks; whether, it's food, politicians or entertainment. Fast food found that out a few years back-when they all jumped at adding a high dollar angus burger to the menu. Turns out, people prefer a cheaper Big Mac or Whopper. I mean no one on CT does, but the majority of folks do ;-)
3 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:09 am

Its all about the dollars and who can keep and control the most. The problem with farmers they don't get or are able to control much of it. We are in an ag recession and in the short run will get worse and a drought will escalate it.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:17 am

All you have to show for it.... IF YOU ARE SMART AND LUCKY, is a paid off farm, paid for cows that are getting older, and paid for machinery that is getting worn out, and a "paid for body" that has more aches and pains and worn out parts than you ever thought possible.

Which also holds true for hundreds of other professions including but not limited to fishing and farming
3 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm

greybeard wrote:
All you have to show for it.... IF YOU ARE SMART AND LUCKY, is a paid off farm, paid for cows that are getting older, and paid for machinery that is getting worn out, and a "paid for body" that has more aches and pains and worn out parts than you ever thought possible.

Which also holds true for hundreds of other professions including but not limited to fishing and farming
If you can pay off a farm, cattle, machinery, etc.. farming you will have to grow something that would make Willie Nelson happy.
3 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:41 pm

greybeard wrote:

Cept the others you don’t have to keep working to hold on to your exemption even after 65.
2 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:50 pm

"If you can pay off a farm, cattle, machinery, etc.. farming you will have to grow something that would make Willie Nelson happy."

That would be bambino betos.

And, 99% of the others don't have an exemption so it's moot.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 pm

True Grit; I am sure commercial fishing is very hard work. I don't think I would have wanted to do it, nor could I have done it, when I was young and stronger/healthier. And if farming is like a day off for you, then that is great. I also suspect you are younger than me and probably many of the posters on CT. I hope for your sake that you don't get the joint issues and pain that I have because there are days that it is a real struggle to get up and get going. And it seemed that it hit me nearly all at once. That is what is so frustrating.
2 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 pm

True Grit young, hahahahaha. He is older than dirt. And I am a little older than him.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:32 am

kenny thomas wrote:True Grit young, hahahahaha. He is older than dirt. And I am a little older than him.

Only in body Kenny, still young in heart and mind.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:37 am

farmerjan wrote:True Grit; I am sure commercial fishing is very hard work. I don't think I would have wanted to do it, nor could I have done it, when I was young and stronger/healthier. And if farming is like a day off for you, then that is great. I also suspect you are younger than me and probably many of the posters on CT. I hope for your sake that you don't get the joint issues and pain that I have because there are days that it is a real struggle to get up and get going. And it seemed that it hit me nearly all at once. That is what is so frustrating.

All I can say is thank the good Lord for replacement parts! They are not as good as original equipment that was issued. Sure beats the alternative of a wheel chair.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:48 am

farmerjan wrote:True Grit; I am sure commercial fishing is very hard work. I don't think I would have wanted to do it, nor could I have done it, when I was young and stronger/healthier. And if farming is like a day off for you, then that is great. I also suspect you are younger than me and probably many of the posters on CT. I hope for your sake that you don't get the joint issues and pain that I have because there are days that it is a real struggle to get up and get going. And it seemed that it hit me nearly all at once. That is what is so frustrating.

With cattle most things can be paced or put off till tomorrow if need be. The cows are fence in and can't get away. The government tells us how many fish we can catch per trip, where we can fish, and when the season ends. What you miss one day is gone forever. Anyone who has a job works hard, even school teachers.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 am

I surely didn't mean that any job can't be one that a person works hard at. Just that some are more "physically" hard than others. Teaching will not wear out or "hurt" your joints like say fishing or farming.. or logging or other things like that. But it would mentally wear me out so fast I would fall apart!!!!! But it's just that after you retire or slow down from say teaching, or being an office worker, you can continue to do more physically than when you have used and abused your body physically. But then there are other issues from all that sitting or standing in one place....
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Why is land unaffordable? well.. I'd say it's because of stupid low interest rates.. and the idea that land price should double every 10 years.. yet the price of the goods sold has stayed stagnant for decades.. When we bought cows in 1991 prices for steers was about $1.25/lb.. nearly 30 years later it's 2.25/lb.
However, when we bought the steers, gas was $.40/liter, now it's $1.40, and the same for everything else.. In the rare cases something didn't go up in price, the quality of it went down instead.. Maybe 30 years ago you bought a wrench for $5.00, but it was a quality item, now it's still $5.00 but is made in china and a piece of garbage.
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:53 pm

'yet the price of the goods sold has stayed stagnant for decades' which somehow, is very different than "the price of goods bought'. /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
1 x

Covet Not!

Return to “Coffee Shop”