Long lines

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher

Long lines

Postby Texas Gal » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:06 pm

We took a trailer load of calves to the sale barn in Decatur after church today. I think everyone else had the same idea- we waited in line for 40 minutes to even get on the property. It was another 25 minutes to unload. Haven't seen lines like that since 2011!
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Long lines

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Rarely see a line here anymore. Years ago I have sit in line for up to 4 hours. That was before cattle trailers started being used here. But sales that once had 2500 head now have 500. Farms grown up into trees or houses.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Rarely have to wait more than one or two rigs to unload. Loading out to haul some home can be a different deal. You can always count on there being a line. I have waited over an hour a number of times.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:12 pm

The rain has delayed some of the fall run. Most people in our area have had a good supply of grass with all the rain but its time to cash in. Winters coming quickly.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:43 am

my trailer cut gate got jammed up last time i went and i caused quite a back up .. oops
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:07 am

Texas Gal wrote:We took a trailer load of calves to the sale barn in Decatur after church today. I think everyone else had the same idea- we waited in line for 40 minutes to even get on the property. It was another 25 minutes to unload. Haven't seen lines like that since 2011!

If you don't get to one our barns early here 2+hours to unload is average
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Seems like there's a new man every week a the unloading area..most don't know either end of a cow...their just there from sun up till pay check..
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:45 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Rarely see a line here anymore. Years ago I have sit in line for up to 4 hours. That was before cattle trailers started being used here. But sales that once had 2500 head now have 500. Farms grown up into trees or houses.

Which barn do you sell at Kenny?
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:56 pm

Lee Farmers Livestock in Jonesville mostly.
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 am

They had a proposal to build a new Sale Barn in Baileyton, Tn just off I 81. The reason is that the Kingsport Barn has lost its lease and they wanted approval for a new site. State Commission denied the permit because it was too close to the Greenville Barn.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:29 pm

sstterry wrote:They had a proposal to build a new Sale Barn in Baileyton, Tn just off I 81. The reason is that the Kingsport Barn has lost its lease and they wanted approval for a new site. State Commission denied the permit because it was too close to the Greenville Barn.

Yep, I remember that. If i remember correctly it was said that one of the owners of Greenville was on the State Commission.
Cow sale over here Wednesday night. Come over.
0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:59 pm

I don't remember A Greenville owner being on the Board, but they were concerned about how close it was to the Greenville Mkt. Jonesville is a curvy ride when Greenville is only 15 minutes away and I am friends with one of the owners. But my last calves I sold may change my mind. :roll:
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:13 pm

2 weeks ago had a 3 hr wait in line to unload. We are going to haul cattle for a neighbor on Friday. Gonna get them in and moved to our barn on Thursday aft., then my son will take the first load on Fri at about 4 a.m.. Then I will go in with the second load at about 11 or 12. Sale is supposed to start at 2 p.m. but they have started as late as 5 p.m. in order to get everyone unloaded. most everyone has trailers now so all the spots for trucks are a bit wasted; but 15 or more years ago, there would be 10 or more trucks for every trailer and the trailers usually were from "little guys " like we were, that had 5-10 head to unload. Now there are 25 trailers to every truck that comes in. Still mostly big trailers/ pots that load out, but not to come in. Not many places have the required loading spot where a truck can back up to or a bank that the truck can back into, or something. It's alot easier to have the portable pens with so many places now being rented and load at ground level. Been running about 15-1900 head a week on Fridays for the past month or more.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:51 pm

sstterry wrote:I don't remember A Greenville owner being on the Board, but they were concerned about how close it was to the Greenville Mkt. Jonesville is a curvy ride when Greenville is only 15 minutes away and I am friends with one of the owners. But my last calves I sold may change my mind. :roll:

Good people at Greenville, if I was closer I would go there. The barn manager Issac is a very good friend. But its 2 hard hours if I'm loaded no matter how I go. Im 11 miles or 15 minutes here and rarely wait over 5 minutes to unload.
0 x

CCCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby CCCowman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:39 am

sstterry wrote:They had a proposal to build a new Sale Barn in Baileyton, Tn just off I 81. The reason is that the Kingsport Barn has lost its lease and they wanted approval for a new site. State Commission denied the permit because it was too close to the Greenville Barn.

I go to the Kingsport sale about every Saturday. Haven't heard they lost the lease. Overheard some of the regular buyers talking/grumbling......Definitely need to make some changes over there. I know it's just a cattle sale barn but if they stay around the least they could do is clean the place up a little. Bet there's 500 lbs of cobwebs hanging in the sale arena.
0 x
Some people are just dumber in the head than a hog is in the butt.

Return to “Coffee Shop”