manufactured home

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: manufactured home

Post by greybeard » Tue May 07, 2019 10:24 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:23 am
My wife is the queen of a double wide trailer and is pretty darn happy. She went from a very nice house with pool, garage and a breeze way - mud room to a trailer. We bought our trailer new and ordered most of the available upgrades. The quality of the craftsmanship stinks and the hardware is as cheap as it comes. But we've only had a few issues in 14 years. I paid a couple of thousand dollars extra to have the trailer built and tied down to Broward County, FL building codes. Everything ended up costing just less than $30 a square foot and we were living in Georgia in less than 5 weeks.
Almost an 'instant house'.
I've lived in several "mobile homes" when I was moving often in the military and I owned one in La. One of my nieces lives in one now..it's not bad compared to the ones they used to build with 2x2 walls and exterior doors that seem to be always opening on their own. My brother once had a single wide that was so narrow, you had trouble carrying a clothes basket down the hallway to where the washing machine was. Really narrow hallway.

I won't say I'll never live in another one, I but sure don't want to.

"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 am

greybeard wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:24 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
My wife is the queen of a double wide trailer and is pretty darn happy. She went from a very nice house with pool, garage and a breeze way - mud room to a trailer. We bought our trailer new and ordered most of the available upgrades. The quality of the craftsmanship stinks and the hardware is as cheap as it comes. But we've only had a few issues in 14 years. I paid a couple of thousand dollars extra to have the trailer built and tied down to Broward County, FL building codes. Everything ended up costing just less than $30 a square foot and we were living in Georgia in less than 5 weeks.
I've lived in several "mobile homes" when I was moving often in the military and I owned one in La. One of my nieces lives in one now..it's not bad compared to the ones they used to build with 2x2 walls and exterior doors that seem to be always opening on their own. My brother once had a single wide that was so narrow, you had trouble carrying a clothes basket down the hallway to where the washing machine was. Really narrow hallway.

My place outside of Cameron, LA was an old 70's single wide. There was no sign of it after Hurricane Rita passed through.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowrancher75
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowrancher75 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:15 pm

you can get some with 2x6 walls.. upstairs.. basements..etc.. i've been in some really nice ones. they pulled one in next to my parents and its like 2400 sq ft 4 bed / 3bath

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Tue May 07, 2019 10:28 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 am
greybeard wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

My place outside of Cameron, LA was an old 70's single wide. There was no sign of it after Hurricane Rita passed through.
Cameron skeeters probably hauled it off into the marsh.......
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:04 am

I would stay away because of the resale alone. No matter what you do to it, right or wrong, when people see manufactured home they are done. If you buy one you better die there. It will have no resale value.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Wed May 08, 2019 10:11 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
greybeard wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

After the jarrell tornado. Every mobile in it's path was gone....so was every brick house in it's path. He// some of the slabs where missing.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 am

callmefence wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:11 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
greybeard wrote:

After the jarrell tornado. Every mobile in it's path was gone....so was every brick house in it's path. He// some of the slabs where missing.
Folks would be amazed at how many MH were not damaged in the hurricane.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 am

M-5 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 am
callmefence wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:11 am
True Grit Farms wrote:

Folks would be amazed at how many MH were not damaged in the hurricane.
A mobile home seems like a magnet to a tornado.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by farmguy » Wed May 08, 2019 11:59 am

Our daughter and her husband went back for another look armed with info from here and other sources. It was sold. On the market for two days. It did have six inch walls. But thanks anyway. farmguy

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Wed May 08, 2019 1:22 pm

You would be surprised at how many people are residing in travel trailers around Lake Fork. I would imagine it would be in the thousands.o property tax what so ever.