I wonder

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
HSTexas
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: I wonder

Post by HSTexas » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:49 am

Dave wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 am
Time to time I hear the comment "take it to Ranchers". I do wonder why, because I do go there from time to time. There was a time when there were some lively discussions there. Good information was shared over there too. Now, you will be talking to yourself. There just isn't hardly anyone there these days.
Plenty of good discussion there. Not a bunch of filler like there is here.

"Take it to Ranchers" comment was always about politics. You wont find the political forum unless you log in over there.

Hadn't seen the comment used in a while either, but just considered I wasnt paying much attention. Interesting that the mod doesn't know that the political forum exists and is active.

https://ranchers.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm

HSTexas wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:49 am
Dave wrote:
Time to time I hear the comment "take it to Ranchers". I do wonder why, because I do go there from time to time. There was a time when there were some lively discussions there. Good information was shared over there too. Now, you will be talking to yourself. There just isn't hardly anyone there these days.

"Take it to Ranchers" comment was always about politics. You wont find the political forum unless you log in over there.

Hadn't seen the comment used in a while either, but just considered I wasnt paying much attention. Interesting that the mod doesn't know that the political forum exists and is active.

Plenty of good discussion? The Ranch Talk gets maybe one post a day. The Horses and dogs had a comment back in May. The last comment in the Sports and Outdoors was back in January or February. In the Political forum 90% of the threads and the last comments those threads are by the same person. Ranchers use to be a active site. Not so much anymore.

HSTexas
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by HSTexas » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Quality over quantity, my good man.

Those people tend to know what they are talking about.

There might be a thread worth reading here a day, or there may not.

Plenty of filler that is better off not wasting your time.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:59 pm

HSTexas wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Ten years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you. And the few who are there do know what they are talking about. Unfortunately there is just no one there anymore.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:09 am

HSTexas wrote:

Ranchers is so great what you doing over here???

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:09 am
HSTexas wrote:

Ranchers is so great what you doing over here???
He got lonely.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Dave wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm
HSTexas wrote:
Dave wrote:

Plenty of good discussion? The Ranch Talk gets maybe one post a day. The Horses and dogs had a comment back in May. The last comment in the Sports and Outdoors was back in January or February. In the Political forum 90% of the threads and the last comments those threads are by the same person. Ranchers use to be a active site. Not so much anymore.
Facebook came along, most of the cliques on Ranchers are friends on FB. I made over 11000 posts there in about 5 years. Haven't made 30 in the last 4. Big Muddy is one of the last holdouts, we email or talk on the phone anymore.

I knew Corey personally and knew many of his neighbors, he is gone now and it's not right to talk about him so I will just say I didn't share the same opinion of him as many did.

The political page was for the most part a pretty sad example of humanity, I was unfortunately drawn into a few discussions that I'm not real proud of.

I still feel very fortunate to have met and stayed in touch with many fine people from Ranchers Net. It's too bad other social media has drawn most of us away. I kind of feel like a fish out of water here at times, many of my posts draw few comments. Maybe it is because of Bright Raven's involvement in posting them for me because I'm too lazy to learn how to post photos myself. He was kind enough to offer the courtesy and I appreciate that.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:26 pm
Dave wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm
HSTexas wrote:

Facebook came along, most of the cliques on Ranchers are friends on FB. I made over 11000 posts there in about 5 years. Haven't made 30 in the last 4. Big Muddy is one of the last holdouts, we email or talk on the phone anymore.

I knew Corey personally and knew many of his neighbors, he is gone now and it's not right to talk about him so I will just say I didn't share the same opinion of him as many did.

The political page was for the most part a pretty sad example of humanity, I was unfortunately drawn into a few discussions that I'm not real proud of.

I still feel very fortunate to have met and stayed in touch with many fine people from Ranchers Net. It's too bad other social media has drawn most of us away. I kind of feel like a fish out of water here at times, many of my posts draw few comments. Maybe it is because of Bright Raven's involvement in posting them for me because I'm too lazy to learn how to post photos myself. He was kind enough to offer the courtesy and I appreciate that.
Some people you need to pay attention to and you happen to be one of them. We're lucky to have you on CT.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:32 am

No matter who posts the pictures, if they are as great as yours, you will have viewers!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SmokinM » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Gcreek please stick around. Your posts are very much valued here. Far to many like you that really know cattle and how to raise them have left here over the b.s that seems constant. People like you are why I come here and came here to start with. Contrary to recent history it is a cattle website to discuss all breeds of cattle. The benefits and drawbacks of each and answer questions for those that don’t know by people like you who do. Thanks to all that have replied to my questions over the years for sharing your knowledge. It is appreciated.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Gcreekrch, I probably read the majority of those 10,000 posts. I was register but for some reason I could never log on. It wasn't until last winter on a snowy day that I just sat at the computer for a few hours and was able to break through. But for years I always opened Ranchers before I would look at CT. Even though I wasn't able to post I felt more akin to those on there than I did to those on CT.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Well, Dave, we are glad you are here.
Maybe more people will start talking cattle rather than trying to stir the pot. I think everyone is tired of it.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Just looked up when I joined ranchers, November of 2008, different username. Enjoyed checking in and following a number of “characters”. Only have 461 posts, mostly used the photo album to post photos till I used up the allotted storage. Enjoyed hanging out and just “listening”. Much as I did before joining CT.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:38 pm

SmokinM wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:41 pm
Gcreek please stick around. Your posts are very much valued here. Far to many like you that really know cattle and how to raise them have left here over the b.s that seems constant. People like you are why I come here and came here to start with. Contrary to recent history it is a cattle website to discuss all breeds of cattle. The benefits and drawbacks of each and answer questions for those that don’t know by people like you who do. Thanks to all that have replied to my questions over the years for sharing your knowledge. It is appreciated.

Wasn't planning on wandering off, just questioning the value of having photos posted when many times there are only a couple of comments on each thread.

Maybe I need to start asking opinions...…………..
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:38 pm
SmokinM wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Wasn't planning on wandering off, just questioning the value of having photos posted when many times there are only a couple of comments on each thread.

Maybe I need to start asking opinions...…………..
David

I think that is common when someone posts pictures. If you look at the views rather than the comments, you will discover that your pictures are capturing a lot of interest. I post more pictures than most and they rarely generate a lot of discussion but they get a lot of views. Everyone enjoys seeing a cattle operation like yours. Personally, I was impressed with you doing your own caesarean.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.