warning about pore on wormers

Cattle problems.
76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Re: warning about pore on wormers

Post by 76 Bar » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Can't help but think the likelihood of igniting a recently poured cow via a hot shot might qualify as an urban myth. Just saying'. ;-) If indeed true, yet another reason savvy stockmen eschew electric prods.

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:32 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:28 am
Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am
I too won't use a hot shot. If it is necessary, it also means I am putting them on the trailer for their final ride.
Breaking a tail is very easy to do, I assure you. More than one of our show heifers have been so lazy, that they are even given caffeine paste to perk them up in the ring and had the messed up tails to show it was a valiant, but useless effort lol!
How are people twisting tails? are they twisting the end of the tail? (that would be a delicate spot) or the base? I always twist the base of the tail, loop it over their back and twist.. even the laziest cow I have will move long before the tail breaks
We do the same. Although. I do have some real bad cows that maybe need a shock. But I was always told around these parts we don't zap our cows. I saw a real good fight between two guys hauling at McClary's last year. One felt one was over using his powers with it. So the guy grabbed his and zapped him

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Till-Hill » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:27 am
Till-Hill wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 am
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:29 pm
LOL - had that happen to a friend that was "torching" the hair off sale cattle. They learned the same lesson. but, I never would have thought about a hot shot igniting it.
Been there too! Helped couple buddies torch some Angus bulls. Guy that was feeding forgot to tell us he poured them week before. Burnt up a good Carhartt coat that day putting one out!
the alcohol would evaporate within the hour of application, the pour-on the previous week had NOTHING to do with that
Ultra Boss and Ulra Sabre will indeed burn for long time after it has been exposed to the air. Seen it lots of times. Buddies of mine clip sale cattle all over the US and see it daily.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm

The incident I spoke of was a line of cattle going thru the chute, getting shots, pour on, THEN torching. Not good!!!!
I have a mini-mite hot shot, been hanging on the wall for many, many years. The only time we have ever used it, is if a cow was down and we needed to entice her immediately to get up (like a hard calving). That darn thing hung on the wall for years, and we decided to use it - was AMAZED that it still had strong enough battery to buzz.
We twist tails. Never have broken one, but have been elsewhere and have seen someone break one of their own.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:06 pm

This is getting interesting. Even my vets (2 in the practice) twist the tails and no tails have ever been broken. Yet. Doesn't always work but I'll also take the sorting stick and poke 'em either on the ball of their foot or between the toes. They don't like it! But usually gets a little momentum going so I can proceed with pushing. Every couple feet, move the bar (I have zero interest in "one step forward, two steps back"). I've even resorted to a large ratchet strap; after it's secured on both sides and the strap is positioned across their rear I start cranking. And I'm not above bribing them with cubes. If I have the time I simply walk away and they'll generally (eventually) go on their own. Clearly I'm not a fan of hot shots but have used one as a last resort.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:30 pm

The hotshot is like brylcreem, a little dab'll do. I actually got into a physical fight with a guy using one on baby calves, I was helping him, and he was just ignorant. After all the rolling in the cow shize, I left, but I bet he still thinks about it every time he picks one up!
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:34 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:30 pm
The hotshot is like brylcreem, a little dab'll do. I actually got into a physical fight with a guy using one on baby calves, I was helping him, and he was just ignorant. After all the rolling in the cow shize, I left, but I bet he still thinks about it every time he picks one up!
Baby calves? No!!! I hope you zapped him in his most favorite spot :mad:

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:34 pm
snoopdog wrote:
I zapped him in a few spots, and he did me as well, but I am pretty sure he was a little more sore than I was the next day.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:37 pm
TCRanch wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:34 pm
snoopdog wrote:
I zapped him in a few spots, and he did me as well, but I am pretty sure he was a little more sore than I was the next day.
You gave it your A game; well done!

polledbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by polledbull » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 pm

I have set one on fire my self and know a few others that have , but you will need a hot shot if you are going to be in the cow business, I can bump one with it alot easier on me and the cow than climbing the wall and pushing and twisting till you turn blue and the cow still wont move, There is nothing unethical about the hot shot , it is a necessary tool , to be used as such , not a play toy , or for abuse

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 pm

polledbull wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 pm
I have set one on fire my self and know a few others that have , but you will need a hot shot if you are going to be in the cow business, I can bump one with it alot easier on me and the cow than climbing the wall and pushing and twisting till you turn blue and the cow still wont move, There is nothing unethical about the hot shot , it is a necessary tool , to be used as such , not a play toy , or for abuse
I agree, there is a time and place for them, but overuse is gonna come back and bite you

And this is one reason you have some animals that seem calm until you have to work them, then a switch flips and they're beserk!
I decided to not even tag my bull calf I retained this year.. He's never had any bad experiences.. and if he's like the rest of his family he'll stay cool all his life (well, his life will be shorter if he doesnt' stay cool!)
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:21 am

It takes MANY good experiences to offset ONE bad one.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:29 am

polledbull wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 pm
I share your philosophy. My vet put me on that philosophy 10 years ago.

I work my small herd alone. I be danged if I am going to get in the alley and twist tails. Having said that, it is very rare that I use a hotshot. I normally get them all worked and never even touch it.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:27 am
Till-Hill wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 am
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:29 pm
LOL - had that happen to a friend that was "torching" the hair off sale cattle. They learned the same lesson. but, I never would have thought about a hot shot igniting it.
Been there too! Helped couple buddies torch some Angus bulls. Guy that was feeding forgot to tell us he poured them week before. Burnt up a good Carhartt coat that day putting one out!
the alcohol would evaporate within the hour of application, the pour-on the previous week had NOTHING to do with that

That is what I was thinking. That pour on should not have ignited a week later. Even with a flame...