GURU
GURU

Re: What happened??

Post by TCRanch » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am

alisonb wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:52 am
Katpau wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:42 pm
I looked up Metritis, endometritis and pyometra and read a bit about infections as a result of retained placenta.
Infection is not necessarily caused by a retained placenta.

A cow showing no outward signs of infection could possibly have the uterine infection Pyometra, where the cervix closes and actually traps the infection not allowing discharge to pass while animals immune system tries to fight it.
Would she smell? There's no mistaking if you get a whiff of infection from RP.

Katpau
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Katpau » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:06 am

Pyometra does sound like a real possibility. My reading did not find anything about whether or not leaving it untreated could eventually result in death. It was mostly about mares, dogs or dairy cows. With a dairy cow you would be doing AI and the problem would have been noticed much earlier. I really wish I had the stomach to have cut into her to see what was happening in there. It was so hot out, and she was already smelling when we found her in the morning. We are discouraged from even driving the ATV in the pasture after 10 AM because of fire danger. By the time we would have retrieved supplies to do a necropsy, it would have been after that. By the next morning her rear end was crawling with maggots where all of the fluids had drained out onto the ground below.

It did mention a mummified fetus as one possible reason for Pyometra. I had wondered if there was a twin somewhere when the calf was smaller than expected. Perhaps there was a twin that had died earlier in pregnancy and then remained mummified in the uterus?

76 Bar
GURU
GURU

Post by 76 Bar » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:42 pm

Bottom line...doubtful at this point you'll know what caused the demise of an aged post partum cow who seemingly was healthy and her calf likewise. Stay vigilant.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:08 pm

I'm going to think that if you have doctored others for pneumonia you just missed seeing her and that she had it also.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Katpau
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Katpau » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:01 pm

Kenny,
You are probably right about pneumonia. I've never lost a cow to that before, nor even witnessed symptoms in a cow before. There was a lot of nasty fluid on the ground behind her in addition to what you can see in that photo. Does that happen with pneumonia? We did lose a calf to pneumonia a few years ago and I don't remember anything like that. With him the breathing was fast and shallow and you could hear that wheezing noise in his lungs.

The first calf I treated this year had lots of snot and was very dehydrated. His breathing was more rapid than normal, there was foam on his mouth, his temperature was over 105, but his lungs did not have that wheezing sound. I don't really think he had reached a stage of clinical pneumonia yet, but he was probably headed in that direction. He now seems to have fully recovered. I gave nuflor to two others whose temperatures were 103 and 104. None of the others gave me any reason for concern.

The Cow I gave Nuflor to the other day had a an extremely runny nose and fever, but her lungs sounded good, so not pneumonia yet with her either. We checked her temp this morning and it was at 99.8, but we gave another dose of Nuflor to be sure. I walked through and carefully watched every cow and calf in the herd this morning. No sign of anyone looking in distress, nor any observable breathing problems or snotty noses. Maybe now I can calm down a little on the paranoia.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:12 am

TCRanch wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am
alisonb wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:52 am
Katpau wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:42 pm
I looked up Metritis, endometritis and pyometra and read a bit about infections as a result of retained placenta.
Infection is not necessarily caused by a retained placenta.

A cow showing no outward signs of infection could possibly have the uterine infection Pyometra, where the cervix closes and actually traps the infection not allowing discharge to pass while animals immune system tries to fight it.
Would she smell? There's no mistaking if you get a whiff of infection from RP.
If it's a RP you have a watery red brown discharge plus rotting tissue... very ripe :shock: In a case were the cervix has closed and discharge/pus cannot escape most probably not.
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:29 am

Katpau wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:01 pm
There was a lot of nasty fluid on the ground behind her in addition to what you can see in that photo. Does that happen with pneumonia?
I'm not Kenny but...

It's obviously far more complicated than this but this is a start. If I look at a sick cow and see discharge/pus from the nose and eyes, I'll immediately think respiratory organs. If the discharge/pus is coming out of the vagina, I think reproductive tract/organs. Diarrhea... will be digestive tract etc. A cow with pneumonia will not have pus coming out of her vulva unless it has other complications or secondary infection.
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!