Scours Vaccine?

Cattle problems.
ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Scours Vaccine?

Postby ricebeltrancher » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:05 pm

I'm waiting to hear back from our vet, but I thought it might not hurt to see what everyone on here thinks, too. We had a headache with scours this past spring calving season. It was wet, and just about all of our pastures are clay, so it was not a very good calving situation. We had quite a few calves scour. Most cleared up in a few days, and we only had to treat a couple in the pasture. Lost one. From all of my research I figured the culprit was most likely e.coli, but we never tested for it. It looks like it's going to be pretty wet again this winter, so we want to nip it in the bud this time and vaccinate all of our cows for scours, and maybe switch their blackleg from prebreeding to precalving also. Anyone have any recommendations on scours vaccines, and did it help?
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Scours Vaccine?

Postby dun » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:19 pm

For a couple of years after we had a scour epidemic we gave "Calfguard" orally at birth. Haven't dne it now in several years but haven't had any scours either. We did it for about 3 years before we quit
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks for the input. After talking to the vet, I think we are going to try ScourGuard 4K and move our blackleg up, too. I'm fairly certain we've had a few calves get overeating over the years. Just makes sense to give them a little better protection this way. Treating the calves themselves might ultimately be a little more effective, but some of our cows would probably try to eat us alive. :shock:
0 x
“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:35 pm

Shoot the 4kc on ground and give cows Scourboss 9 and give Calves First Defense pills. I swear since we switched you can calve in muddy slop and never have to treat a calf. Used 4kc and 3kc for years and always were treating. Just my opinion
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:31 am

Till-Hill wrote:Shoot the 4kc on ground and give cows Scourboss 9 and give Calves First Defense pills. I swear since we switched you can calve in muddy slop and never have to treat a calf. Used 4kc and 3kc for years and always were treating. Just my opinion

First Defense is a little pricey but worth it in my opinion, even administered after the 1st 12 hours.
0 x

WildBill
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby WildBill » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:34 am

Bar Guard 99 at birth is one that works really well. If you get Scours Feed Diaque once every 12 hours. Within a day they will get the life back in them. Can feed with milk or milk replacer too which is nice.
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Hate needling cows later in winter as it's a miserable time to work cattle, so no vaccine for them. Use the Calfguard oral product on calf at birth, and will never quit using. Not a single case of scours since started using it 5 years ago. Nearby neighbors have had scour wrecks and vet just shakes her head as the body count climbs upwards of 20 head. Take cultures and it's simple rotovirus. Lots of lost income and time just to save $5 per head on something that works.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ricebeltrancher » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:35 pm

I will keep First Defense in mind if the vaccine doesn't help. It's just not practical for us to treat calves unless we have a serious problem. I like Novartis, and almost went with Scour Bos 9, but figured it was unneccessary since we are moving our 8 way to precalving also. Thankfully our vet is super with cattle, and will get him on board this time around if we can't get it figured out.

Aaron our days are about mid-70's right now. Nice cow working weather! :) When the calves start coming it's usually in the 40's and raining, so working cows instead is much more preferable if it works.
0 x
― Ronald Reagan

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:45 pm

ricebeltrancher wrote:I will keep First Defense in mind if the vaccine doesn't help. It's just not practical for us to treat calves unless we have a serious problem. I like Novartis, and almost went with Scour Bos 9, but figured it was unneccessary since we are moving our 8 way to precalving also. Thankfully our vet is super with cattle, and will get him on board this time around if we can't get it figured out.

Aaron our days are about mid-70's right now. Nice cow working weather! :) When the calves start coming it's usually in the 40's and raining, so working cows instead is much more preferable if it works.

Very true. I wasn't thinking about location, I was just looking out the window at the sudden 8" of snow that is now outside and cringe at the fact that my most hated season is now here. Two days ago, green grass everywhere. Today, white. :mad:
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

branguscowgirl
GURU
GURU

Postby branguscowgirl » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Like Aaron, I have used Calf Guard at birth for 15 yrs.. Have never had a case of scours. I truly believe that it works very well.
0 x
Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but, rather, a manner of traveling!

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:47 pm

branguscowgirl wrote:Like Aaron, I have used Calf Guard at birth for 15 yrs.. Have never had a case of scours. I truly believe that it works very well.

I'm intrigued. Just looked it up & says it requires mixing but it's oral. So you just mix the modified live & administer with a drench gun or syringe? And do you give it to all calves or just from 1st calf heifers?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:35 pm

TCRanch wrote:
branguscowgirl wrote:Like Aaron, I have used Calf Guard at birth for 15 yrs.. Have never had a case of scours. I truly believe that it works very well.

I'm intrigued. Just looked it up & says it requires mixing but it's oral. So you just mix the modified live & administer with a drench gun or syringe? And do you give it to all calves or just from 1st calf heifers?

It's a powder that you mix with sterilized water. It's only a couple of CC per dose
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:28 pm

dun wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

It's a powder that you mix with sterilized water. It's only a couple of CC per dose

What dun said. I use a 12cc syringe with needle to mix and then take needle off and squirt deep into mouth with head held up so the calf does swallow it. You give it to all of your calves. Just like all vaccinations, broad population coverage is key. You miss one and it is highly susceptible for scour bugs.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:52 am

We use calf-guard single dose 2cc vials and use a 3cc syringe to squirt it on back of tongue within first 12 hrs or we don't
give it. No scours in calves that get it or the few that don't. But we always try to give it asap and consider it cheap insurance.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Till-Hill wrote:Shoot the 4kc on ground and give cows Scourboss 9 and give Calves First Defense pills. I swear since we switched you can calve in muddy slop and never have to treat a calf. Used 4kc and 3kc for years and always were treating. Just my opinion

Treating calf is cheaper.
Sounds like treating calf is more effective.
Why Scour boss 9 also if you are treating the calf?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Health & Nutrition”