TexasBred, what's your advice on this mineral?

Cattle problems.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

TexasBred, what's your advice on this mineral?

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:24 pm

TB, what's your take on these? Thanks in advance.

Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: TexasBred, what's your advice on this mineral?

Post by TexasBred » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:40 pm

For a hi mag mineral it looks pretty good. Often times it seems companies cut corners on hi mag mineral but the vitamin levels, zinc, copper, selenium. Could use a bit more phos. but not absolutely necessary. Should work for you.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks TB. I've fed so many different minerals in the last 5 years I can't count them. Some $40 bag and some were $10 bag. Usually figure that I'm getting what I pay for. I'm trying to learn more about what a cattle mineral "should be". Right now I'm feeding a southern states breeder mineral. Think I'm gonna try some of these next. Maybe they are getting from one what another is lacking. ?
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:55 pm

That breeder mineral is probably higher in Phos.

I saw some hi-mag that was 14% mag, but only 10% Cal. 20% salt.
In that case guess you could get away with putting out the hi-mag, and an all-season 7 mineral with it.
Wouldn't need any salt.

Sorry kind of talking to myself. :lol:
“Almost persuaded,” harvest is past!
“Almost persuaded,” doom comes at last;
“Almost” cannot avail;
“Almost” is but to fail!
Sad, sad that bitter wail—
“Almost—but lost!”

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:03 pm

I appreciate the input sim king. I've often wondered about putting out different types of minerals at the same time. Is this an acceptable practice? If so, do you mix them together, or offer separately?

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:20 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:I appreciate the input sim king. I've often wondered about putting out different types of minerals at the same time. Is this an acceptable practice? If so, do you mix them together, or offer separately?

I've never done it my self, just a balanced mineral usually. The people that do use multi compartment feeders, and keep them separate.
“Almost persuaded,” harvest is past!
“Almost persuaded,” doom comes at last;
“Almost” cannot avail;
“Almost” is but to fail!
Sad, sad that bitter wail—
“Almost—but lost!”

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Post by tom4018 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:32 pm

JMJ,
How are your cattle eating the Southern States mineral? That is what we are feeding and their consumption has really went done to the point I am worried they are not getting enough. Thinking of trying Vigortone to see how they do.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:36 pm

This is the Breeder Mineral label. Thoughts?

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:39 pm

tom4018 wrote:JMJ,
How are your cattle eating the Southern States mineral? That is what we are feeding and their consumption has really went done to the point I am worried they are not getting enough. Thinking of trying Vigortone to see how they do.

Consumption is low here also. Although I haven't really checked to see how low. Recommended amount is only 2 oz per day. Vigortone makes good minerals. The first label I posted on this thread is a vigortone mineral.

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Post by tom4018 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:59 am

JMJ Farms wrote:

Consumption is low here also. Although I haven't really checked to see how low. Recommended amount is only 2 oz per day. Vigortone makes good minerals. The first label I posted on this thread is a vigortone mineral.

That is strange, my label says 4 oz. per day.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:23 am

JMJ Farms wrote:

Glad you pointed out the 2 oz recommended consumption. Sometimes we get stuck on the 4 oz and never pay attention to the tag. BTW Vigortone makes very good minerals. They need to upgrade some of their ingredients but probably have the best quality control and research of anyone in the business. Just a big pricey.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:55 am

Vigortone makes good products IMO but they are a bit pricey I agree. I wonder sometimes how much extra you pay for the "brand name". Kinda like our own food. I know that nabisco vanilla wafers taste better than store brand, but are they one in the same other than taste?

I was brought up feeding cows grass, cheap hay, and maybe a little grain. No minerals. Very little worming. When it became my money invested I started learning about nutrition. Learning how to grow quality grass and hay, learning about vitamin and mineral requirements in different stages of production, non lactating, lactating, and so forth. And I still get real confused at times (probably because of strategic labeling by the feed companies) it's nice to be able to ask folks on here that know way more than me and get an educated answer. I appreciate you TB, and all the others who offer their time to help me on a weekly basis :tiphat:

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Here is the tag off the bag I bought the other day.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Dash are those FRM?

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Yes FRM .
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK