TexasBred, what's your advice on this mineral?

Cattle problems.
J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Re: TexasBred, what's your advice on this mineral?

Post by J&D Cattle » Thu May 26, 2016 8:20 am

TexasBred wrote:
Pointer1160 wrote:Not a lot of choices near where I live. I go with the Purina Wind and Rain Fly Control. What do you think of it? Very good post and information.

Pointer here is what I've been using for a couple of years now: http://countrystore.biz/doc/AllSeason7_complete_AV4.pdf

All of the zinc, managanese, copper and cobalt comes from chelated minerals. You'll see them disclosed in the list of ingredients as amino acid complexes. I add IGR myself. About the only thing PMI makes that I'll feed to cattle.

TB, how do you go about mixing in the IGR? Little at a time or bag at a time? How much more cost effective is buying the IGR seperate? Thanks

J & D Cattle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Thu May 26, 2016 1:42 pm

J&D Cattle wrote:
TB, how do you go about mixing in the IGR? Little at a time or bag at a time? How much more cost effective is buying the IGR seperate? Thanks

J&D I think it adds about $5 to the cost of a bag of mineral. I add 4 oz. of Altosid that I get from a feed manufacturer and mix it into one bag of mineral. Not a perfect mix I know but do the best I can and will give the same concentation as the minerals you buy containing IGR. As far as I know PMI doesn't make the mineral I use with IGR so I have to add it.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

rockroadseminole
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by rockroadseminole » Thu May 26, 2016 3:08 pm

[quote="rockroadseminole"]Image

"While we're on the FRM train... How about this for a free choice mineral for bred cows? It's about $20 a bag, and I'm a little lost in the mineral department. "

TexasBred, do you have a comment on this mineral I've been using? You seem to be the board's guru on beakers, Bunsen burners, and all other science project questions.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu May 26, 2016 9:40 pm

TexasBred wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:

J&D I think it adds about $5 to the cost of a bag of mineral. I add 4 oz. of Altosid that I get from a feed manufacturer and mix it into one bag of mineral. Not a perfect mix I know but do the best I can and will give the same concentation as the minerals you buy containing IGR. As far as I know PMI doesn't make the mineral I use with IGR so I have to add it.

You might ask a sale rep, or region rep about that because I can get AS 7.5 AV 4 with IGR. Unless they don't have it in your region.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Post by J&D Cattle » Fri May 27, 2016 8:20 am

TexasBred wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:

My cheapness was curious if it would be more cost effective to add it separately. I feed 7.5 Complete fly control now with good results. Thanks TB.
J & D Cattle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Fri May 27, 2016 9:15 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
J&D Cattle wrote:

You might ask a sale rep, or region rep about that because I can get AS 7.5 AV 4 with IGR. Unless they don't have it in your region.

Could be right Sim. Hard enough thought to get them to even stock mineral period. I've never really researched the PMI website to see if they make one.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Fri May 27, 2016 9:17 am

rockroadseminole wrote:
rockroadseminole wrote:Image

"While we're on the FRM train... How about this for a free choice mineral for bred cows? It's about $20 a bag, and I'm a little lost in the mineral department. "

TexasBred, do you have a comment on this mineral I've been using? You seem to be the board's guru on beakers, Bunsen burners, and all other science project questions.

Rockroad I'm not much of a guru at anything but just looking at it, it's a typical mineral with more than ad equate guarantees on the microminerals and adequate vitamins. As always I'd like to see some organic minerals in the mix but they are not there. I notice it does not show a recommended consumption rate either.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 am

Old post renewed.
As I mentioned in other thread, my conception rate sky-rocketed after switching to Vigortone + Multimin 90.
My only regret with Vigortone is they do not offer a BREEDER's with ionophores (rumensin or Bovetec)
Is it possible to add it to my program and what is the best way to do this. We feed in those round yellow plastic mineral feeders with the big round rubber top - has 3 dividers in it. I usually add BiCarb in one bin during breeding season. When our grass comes on, I have a lot of trouble with BUN, thus the BiCarb (seems to help).
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:44 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Old post renewed.
As I mentioned in other thread, my conception rate sky-rocketed after switching to Vigortone + Multimin 90.
My only regret with Vigortone is they do not offer a BREEDER's with ionophores (rumensin or Bovetec)
Is it possible to add it to my program and what is the best way to do this. We feed in those round yellow plastic mineral feeders with the big round rubber top - has 3 dividers in it. I usually add BiCarb in one bin during breeding season. When our grass comes on, I have a lot of trouble with BUN, thus the BiCarb (seems to help).

Jeanne you can mix your own IF you can find a supplier that will sell you the Bovatec/Rumensin. 6.4 oz. Bovatec in each bag will give you 1440 gr/ton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:12 pm

OK, I can buy it from my supplier, but they have Rumensen 120 - how much would I need of that per bag??
We always fed Bovetec when we custom mixed out mineral, and I feel we are slacking not having it (money savings on feed).
Greatly appreciate your help!!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:OK, I can buy it from my supplier, but they have Rumensen 120 - how much would I need of that per bag??
We always fed Bovetec when we custom mixed out mineral, and I feel we are slacking not having it (money savings on feed).
Greatly appreciate your help!!

4 oz to each Monensin 120 would give you 1200 gr/ton monensin

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 am

Great - got it coming. Mixing will be tricky - will be kind of hit & miss. Only way will be to pour into 3 bins & disburse 1/3 into each one & mix.
For as long as I can remember, we used to feed it in our mineral. Not only is it good for utilization of their feed, it is a coccidiostat for the calves.
Thank you!!!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:18 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Great - got it coming. Mixing will be tricky - will be kind of hit & miss. Only way will be to pour into 3 bins & disburse 1/3 into each one & mix.
For as long as I can remember, we used to feed it in our mineral. Not only is it good for utilization of their feed, it is a coccidiostat for the calves.
Thank you!!!

You'll be fine. Both products are very forgiving. ;-)

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Great - got it coming. Mixing will be tricky - will be kind of hit & miss. Only way will be to pour into 3 bins & disburse 1/3 into each one & mix.
Thank you!!!

Harbor freight has a cheap 115 volt concrete mixer that works great for mixing minerals.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Appreciate that info, and I'm sure that would provide a much better mixed product but we put out 3 or 4 bags at a time. That would be way too much work. Our mineral feeders this time of year are in 6 different lots.