Tetanus and calf banding

Cattle problems.
elkwc
GURU
GURU

Re: Tetanus and calf banding

Post by elkwc » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:41 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
sstterry wrote:Michael, I banded a 550lb bull on Thanksgiving weekend and used the Zip-Bandit. I can not recommend it enough. It was easy and fast and worked like a charm. That, now steer, had a limp so I am going to feed him out for the freezer in the late spring.

Thanks Steve. I will check it out. Probably go with the Callicrate just bc a friend of mine has one. I would buy my own but I don’t foresee needing one since I band at birth. But I guess one never knows what situation or opportunity may arise. Thanks again.

We use both. Have used the Callicrate bander for 3-4 years with gsat results on calves from 300-600 lbs. Purchased the Zip andits in June and gave used it on several head with good results. On calves from 375-500. Worked good. Most fell off and were gone by 2-3 weeks. We did the last ones in mid Nov. Used both. The vags on both dried up in a few weeks but were very slow to drop off. I had the same issue in winter once before so was careful to naje sure I gad the proper tension on both. Y using a band they dob't skip a beat.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Tetanus and calf banding

Post by JMJ Farms » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:04 am

elkwc wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
sstterry wrote:Michael, I banded a 550lb bull on Thanksgiving weekend and used the Zip-Bandit. I can not recommend it enough. It was easy and fast and worked like a charm. That, now steer, had a limp so I am going to feed him out for the freezer in the late spring.

Thanks Steve. I will check it out. Probably go with the Callicrate just bc a friend of mine has one. I would buy my own but I don’t foresee needing one since I band at birth. But I guess one never knows what situation or opportunity may arise. Thanks again.

We use both. Have used the Callicrate bander for 3-4 years with gsat results on calves from 300-600 lbs. Purchased the Zip andits in June and gave used it on several head with good results. On calves from 375-500. Worked good. Most fell off and were gone by 2-3 weeks. We did the last ones in mid Nov. Used both. The vags on both dried up in a few weeks but were very slow to drop off. I had the same issue in winter once before so was careful to naje sure I gad the proper tension on both. Y using a band they dob't skip a beat.

Thanks elkwc. It’s winter here also. I think. It was 77 degrees yesterday. Supposed to be 40 something tomorrow. So I thinks it’s winter. Been a tough year all the way around for me regarding the cattle business. But it could always have been worse. Just wish we had some consistency with the weather. Just a little bit.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus