Tetanus and calf banding

Cattle problems.
ricebeltrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Tetanus and calf banding

Post by ricebeltrancher » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:13 pm

We band at 1-3 months usually, and started giving tetanus again a couple of years ago. I think it's important to point out that you are supposed to give the ANTITOXIN when you band. Antitoxin gives instant immunity, whereas the TOXOID takes a couple of weeks to kick in. We've never had a case of tetanus, but waiting until we lose an $800 calf to start giving a $2 shot doesn't make much sense to me.

“Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
― Ronald Reagan

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Post by M.Magis » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Am I wrong that the antitoxin will have worn off by the time it’s really needed? I thought it only lasted a few days or so, but I don’t see sacks falling off for a few weeks.
I give tetanus toxoid 2 weeks out, then a booster when I band, usually 4-5 months old.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Off the top of my head, I don't know how long 'protection' from antitoxin lasts...but likely longer than just a few days.
My preference is to do them as M.Magis recommends... an initial dose of tetanus toxoid at least 2 weeks prior to band application, then booster at that time.
I know that won't work for everyone; giving toxoid and antitoxin at the same time you band - and boostering the toxoid two weeks or so later should be an effective compromise.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Post by gizmom » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:07 pm

I ordered all of our vaccines today have calf work scheduled in two weeks. I have only seen blackleg once and hope never again.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Lucky_P wrote:Off the top of my head, I don't know how long 'protection' from antitoxin lasts...but likely longer than just a few days.
My preference is to do them as M.Magis recommends... an initial dose of tetanus toxoid at least 2 weeks prior to band application, then booster at that time.
I know that won't work for everyone; giving toxoid and antitoxin at the same time you band - and boostering the toxoid two weeks or so later should be an effective compromise.

Lucky_P, as I’ve mentioned before I band at birth. But I’ve got 6 bulls about 5-550 pounds that came with a herd of cows I bought a few months ago. Just weaned them. Gonna give Alpha7 and Pyramid5+presponse with a shot of tetanus toxoid. Label on toxoid says wait 30 days and booster, then wait 2 weeks and band.

Would I be ok to give initial toxoid, wait 2 weeks, booster toxoid, and give a shot of antitoxin and band at the same time of booster and antitoxin?
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:30 pm

JMJ; what are you going to use to band with? We use the callicrate bander. It says to give a tetanus TOXOID shot when banding. That is what we do. Have banded bulls from 200 to 700 lbs with it. When we are doing smaller ones, don't normally give them tetanus except in the blackleg vaccine combination. But we have never had a problem, we do like Gizmom does. We will make sure a calf gets tetanus if he is more than a couple of weeks old. IT IS CHEAP INSURANCE. If you have them in to band then it's no big deal to give a shot. We have never used the antitoxin shot in the cattle, but use only that in the sheep.

One thing, we always band when the sign is in the waning full moon. It is in the "thighs" I think. Blood runs higher coming up to the full moon; proven with people, animals, etc.... so we do it after the full moon going down to the last quarter to the new moon. Gives you about 2 weeks to do it, as long as it is after the full moon going away....Also do any dehorning then, and have been dubbing the purebred old english game bantam males then, for years.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Jan, Callicrate is what I’m gonna use. Not thrilled about the whole deal. I like banding or cutting them right after their first belly full of milk. But that wasn’t an option this time so banding it is. There’s only 6 of them but I refuse to knife cut them at 550 pounds. Knocks em back too hard IMO.

I have never banded by the moon but I have knife cut, weaned, etc by the moon. There’s something to it for sure!
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 pm

JMJ; we will never go back to knife cutting unless there is some real odd situation. I let all my dairy and dairy cross bull calves stay as bulls until they are in the 3-500 lb range. Depends on time of year, if they are going to pasture...whatever. Prefer to do the same with the beef calves, but sometimes it is just circumstances that they get banded as small calves, especially when they are going to pasture in the spring. Some places we don't have facilities to get them in to work them, just set up catch pens when they need to be moved. But we like the growth of the intact bulls better. The dairy bull calves don't seem to get the pot/hay bellies either if they are kept as bulls. Maybe my imagination.... And I can say that we have had very good results with the callicrate bander. If you get it tight, they will hurt for a little while, but it gets numb very quick. Most of ours will be back on the cows, or back in the bunk eating within an hour or so. We do keep them at the barn in the lot where we can check them for about 3 days. By the third day their nuts should already be cold to the touch. We have run them in the chute at times just to check. If they are acting okay, and they are eating, then that's it. Good luck with it, I hope you have as good a result as we have.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:38 am

farmerjan wrote:JMJ; we will never go back to knife cutting unless there is some real odd situation. I let all my dairy and dairy cross bull calves stay as bulls until they are in the 3-500 lb range. Depends on time of year, if they are going to pasture...whatever. Prefer to do the same with the beef calves, but sometimes it is just circumstances that they get banded as small calves, especially when they are going to pasture in the spring. Some places we don't have facilities to get them in to work them, just set up catch pens when they need to be moved. But we like the growth of the intact bulls better. The dairy bull calves don't seem to get the pot/hay bellies either if they are kept as bulls. Maybe my imagination.... And I can say that we have had very good results with the callicrate bander. If you get it tight, they will hurt for a little while, but it gets numb very quick. Most of ours will be back on the cows, or back in the bunk eating within an hour or so. We do keep them at the barn in the lot where we can check them for about 3 days. By the third day their nuts should already be cold to the touch. We have run them in the chute at times just to check. If they are acting okay, and they are eating, then that's it. Good luck with it, I hope you have as good a result as we have.

Thanks Jan. I hope so too. I’ve never given tetanus shots. But I am on these few as this is my first go around with the Callicrate. Don’t want any mishaps. I do have a friend who’s gonna band them for me as he has experience with the Callicrate. Maybe LuckyP will chime in on my planned sequence on shots.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Michael, I banded a 550lb bull on Thanksgiving weekend and used the Zip-Bandit. I can not recommend it enough. It was easy and fast and worked like a charm. That, now steer, had a limp so I am going to feed him out for the freezer in the late spring.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:11 pm

sstterry wrote:Michael, I banded a 550lb bull on Thanksgiving weekend and used the Zip-Bandit. I can not recommend it enough. It was easy and fast and worked like a charm. That, now steer, had a limp so I am going to feed him out for the freezer in the late spring.

Thanks Steve. I will check it out. Probably go with the Callicrate just bc a friend of mine has one. I would buy my own but I don’t foresee needing one since I band at birth. But I guess one never knows what situation or opportunity may arise. Thanks again.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:38 am

We used the callicrate last year as we were late getting it done, and used covexin , we like the growth also leaving them bulls for awhile.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:24 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
sstterry wrote:Michael, I banded a 550lb bull on Thanksgiving weekend and used the Zip-Bandit. I can not recommend it enough. It was easy and fast and worked like a charm. That, now steer, had a limp so I am going to feed him out for the freezer in the late spring.

Thanks Steve. I will check it out. Probably go with the Callicrate just bc a friend of mine has one. I would buy my own but I don’t foresee needing one since I band at birth. But I guess one never knows what situation or opportunity may arise. Thanks again.

Makes sense if he is familiar with it and you don't often do them at this size. Have read some about the Zip-Bandit. We already have the callicrate so that's what we use. We have done a few for some others who had one 'get by them' as a calf type of deal. Wouldn't mind to try the other to see if there is a difference in using or results. Good luck.

BC
GURU
GURU

Post by BC » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:11 pm

A question for you guys that refuse to cut a bigger calf - don't you guys ever get together for calf fries? I could founder on them and fried jalapeno slices.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 am

farmerjan wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Makes sense if he is familiar with it and you don't often do them at this size. Have read some about the Zip-Bandit. We already have the callicrate so that's what we use. We have done a few for some others who had one 'get by them' as a calf type of deal. Wouldn't mind to try the other to see if there is a difference in using or results. Good luck.

The thing I liked was that for one larger calf, I did not have to buy a whole new system or cut him. For about $3 and 30 seconds it was done.