Page 1 of 1

needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:47 am
by angus9259
Anyone ever have this happen? What do you do? I should get a neck extender on my chutes to avoid this issue. So far, all the breakoffs I've had have included the end of the syringe so I can find it and have something to pull out. Anyone ever lose an entire needle?

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:49 am
by ALACOWMAN
Deleted..

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:00 am
by Aaron
First thing you should be doing is using detectable needles so there isn't an issue down the food chain.

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:18 am
by Bright Raven
Have not experienced a broken needle. But your post is valuable. I never thought about it. As last resort, I would call the vet. Hope I don't have to find out.

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:34 am
by angus9259
Aaron wrote:First thing you should be doing is using detectable needles so there isn't an issue down the food chain.


Good point. 20 years in and I wasn't aware there was such a thing. Just googled it.

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:57 pm
by Son of Butch
Over the years I've broken a couple off just as you described, have never come close to losing one.

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:24 am
by wbvs58
They are very difficult to find. If you shave the skin carefully you might find the entry point however the skin has usually moved over where the needle is. I take it that it is the heifer with "the bladder infection" that you were giving penicillin to, in which case once the skin is cut through leakage of the white penicillin might give a bit of a clue to the whereabouts but still very difficult to find.

Ken

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 am
by angus9259
wbvs58 wrote:They are very difficult to find. If you shave the skin carefully you might find the entry point however the skin has usually moved over where the needle is. I take it that it is the heifer with "the bladder infection" that you were giving penicillin to, in which case once the skin is cut through leakage of the white penicillin might give a bit of a clue to the whereabouts but still very difficult to find.

Ken


Funny. Yes - it was her but I've broken them before at the syringe tip but never the needle. I guess it's good the syringe tip breaks! I don't have a neck extender of my chute so between lunging and pulling back it's hard to find a spot on the neck where they can't break it off with the headgate if they work on it long enough.

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:11 am
by Nite Hawk
I have had close calls with needles bending , so far never a break,( say a prayer!) but am as careful as possible trying to avoid that happening.
One lady who worked in a vet office told me to do all needles under the skin instead of intra-muscular unless it is an absolutely-- "a have to situation." She told me that if a needle breaks under the skin it usually don't "travel" and kill the animal, or end up on a dinner plate, versus in the muscle where it can travel....
Also, now the local 4-H recommends giving intra-muscular needles in an area other than the rear end so the choice meat cuts are not potentially damaged...
Sounds reasonable to me

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:16 pm
by kenny thomas
Use a steel shank instead of plastic and breaking will be rare.

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:41 am
by ddd75
put a holder in there nose and tie them off to the opposite side.

Re: needle breaking off in neck

Posted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:56 am
by callmefence
ddd75 wrote:put a holder in there nose and tie them off to the opposite side.


What he said..



Image