3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Cattle problems.
angus9259
GURU
GURU

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby angus9259 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 pm

I'm kind of wondering if it might be best to not to study Mira so much for a while. If she's eating and pooping I might just let her be her for a bit.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm

angus9259 wrote:I'm kind of wondering if it might be best to not to study Mira so much for a while. If she's eating and pooping I might just let her be her for a bit.

Good idea!
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Well, that is a structural problem, but my guess it is temporary. She has been through a lot and like you say, she is not getting much exercise. But, that will come as she gets stronger, and she may grow out of the crooked legs.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:43 pm

I agree with the others that you might want to try to relax a little and not worry about her so much. Her legs might straighten out as she gets older, and they might not. I have a cow that has one front leg that's been bowed out since she was a heifer. She's probably close to 20 years old now and still gets around fine.
1 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:05 pm

I agree that some of it might be because of the weather and all she is not getting as much exercise as she would be if she was on a cow. Don't panic over it, let her just grow and wait and see. There are worse things than a slightly crooked leg. I watched the video and she looks pretty good to me considering. For all the problems in the beginning, it looks like you've got it figured out pretty good now. Also, the head tilting is a little bit of what they would do to suck the cow, and going around you in a circle when she loses the grip on the nipple is perfectly normal. I have calves that have practically turned themselves over in a panic to find the nipple again.
Keeping her in a place where she is out of the drafts is the biggest thing. I would take water out to her in the morning or when you give her the bottle. Then take her a little in the evening so it doesn't freeze up a whole bucket. She will do more drinking in the daytime in the cold. She is not going to dehydrate if she doesn't get water to drink through the bitter cold night. I'd only put out like a 1 to 2 gallon bucket while these temps are so bad. She will drink what she wants and be fine until you go back out that evening for her bottle.

I am hauling water for 30 head and they are getting about 200 - 250 gal a day ... total. They all come up and drink and by the time I get the second load, some will come up and the rest I leave. By morning it is nearly all gone and there are some waiting but they have learned to come and get a good drink when it is still "liquid" because with night temps in the low single digits and slightly below zero, it freezes fast. We have had 3 "freeze proof" waterers freeze in the past 2 days, with these temps here. And the rest of the week doesn't look any better. This place I am hauling water to the spring has nearly dried up and now it is frozen. We are terrible dry here. And now colder than cold.....
2 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 pm

Sigghhhh okay okay! I’ll chill out on study Mira so much... Sorry guys. After her almost not making it, I’m getting overly analytical again... I’ll take a breather.

As for the water, I’ll try that out Jan - the bring water out in the morning and evening. Sounds like a better idea than a giant bucket every day.

Sorry, guys... I’ll chill out. Mira’s eating and walking and playful. I should be less freaked out and just focus on letting her grow now.

Thanks, y’all!
1 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Got Mira a heated 1.5 gallon bowl that my father helped me hook up. It’s been helping me get water to her.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Mira will think she is in 7th heaven now that she has water at her "beck and call" !!!!!! It will definitely make things easier for you and she will eat more now that she can quench her thirst. How is she doing on her grain and hay intake? How cold have you been getting up there? It has been in the single digits here nearly every night for a week with wind chills below Zero. About 20 degrees colder actual temps than normal and the wind has been brutal. Normally we are 35-40 days and 20's at night. Now we barely hit the 20's for our high temps. Supposed to break next week and get closer to normals. But Feb is usually colder so.......
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:37 pm

We hit a high of 3 with 25-35 MPH wind.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:37 pm

I was stupid and didn’t buy enough grain for her. I got her test grain to eat but I got a small bag because it’s expen out here. I wanted a test bag to give her so she could have something to try eating.

She hasn’t really been interested in the hay or the test grain. I’ve been trying to mix it with the formula or give her some from my hand. She just wants her bottle. But even still I didn’t get enough grain so I gotta get this weather to loosen up so I can feed her some/keep trying. She has plenty of fresh hay though. And she’s still not interested that much in the water. She sniffs it but won’t really drink it. Trust me I’ve been trying. But at least she has it.

Temp wise it hit -2 at the lowest. Right now it’s ice raining and cold winds that make my nose hurt at 14 to 20mph below freezing. I went out early to lay down some extra hay for her and check the water since it’s pretty rough right now. It’s been bad and I haven’t been able to get on the road to get her some more be nice.

Everything else has been good. It’s just been difficult getting Mira to eat other things besides the formula. She’s interested I can tell. But she just won’t eat or drink it.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:04 pm

LizHartley1991 wrote:Everything else has been good. It’s just been difficult getting Mira to eat other things besides the formula. She’s interested I can tell. But she just won’t eat or drink it.

She's eating and drinking all she needs from her bottle then. She's fine. It's fine. Leave it in front of her and she'll get to it when she needs it.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 pm

You said she will suck your fingers, put the grain in your hand and kind of "shovel" into her mouth when she sucks on you. Also, you might be able to get some to stick on the bottle nipple?
Most calves never see grain until they are 6-8 months if they are on their dam.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:11 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:You said she will suck your fingers, put the grain in your hand and kind of "shovel" into her mouth when she sucks on you. Also, you might be able to get some to stick on the bottle nipple?
Most calves never see grain until they are 6-8 months if they are on their dam.

I’ll try that shovel thing again. She headbutt me last time I tried like “mom what is this yucky stuff??” lol. I’m not overly worried. As long as I can give her enough and as long as she’s able to intake solids before the 6-8 month (like you said) I won’t push it. I’ll just keep offering it to her :)

I just want it to warm up so she can play out of the barn more. She hates leaving the warm hay. No way was I taking her out today. It ice’d today and I was put checking on her and the other heads. Poor big goobers were all huddled together and doing okay but we were more worried about any slips and falls and getting water out for them that wasn’t frozen. I hate winter sometimes.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:49 am

Make sure the calf starter is a grain type of mixture. For some reason straight pellets or mostly pellets is harder to get them interested in. After every bottle just do the grain poked in her mouth while she is trying to suck your fingers. and leave a little in pan where she can get to it.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:40 am

So this morning was a bunch of middle fingers.

Yesterday I was in town all day for errands and what is one of the main errands I forget to do? Get Mira more formula/a new bag of starter grain since the small bag is gone (she didn’t eat it, since I’m pretty sure the farm mice got to it before her along with kitties).

So this morning I had to mix the old mag with what was left of the good stuff. It’s probably not a good idea to mix that stuff but I needed to make sure Mira got something since the feed store doesn’t open until 8 :/

So I get down to the barn, get the light on and I go to check on the water bucket (the water bowl wasn’t needed since it’s been warmer and not freezing the water) and for a few seconds I’m excited because a good gulp amount of the water is gone and I’m thinking “oh good girl, you tried some of the water!”... Nope. I found out the bucket had a tiny crack. Nothing extreme, but enough to make the bucket slowly but surely leak all the water out of it... Poo.

So I poured some of the water into the 1.5 gallon bowl and went digging for a bucket before I found a newer one to use that doesn’t have a leak. So here’s more trying for that.

I hope that formula I had to mix doesnt hurt Mira’s tummy. Dumb dumb me :/ I know what I’m doing for today then!
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”