3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Cattle problems.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 am

Don't worry, she will be fine. Even great Moms screw up. You've been doing a great job with Mira.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Mira nibbles grass today! Nibbles grass and sniffed and head butted curiously at other cows through the gate today. She still follows after me but now she’s extra curious! Good girl!
1 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:16 pm

LizHartley1991 wrote:I hope that formula I had to mix doesnt hurt Mira’s tummy. Dumb dumb me :/ I know what I’m doing for today then!

Everything that calf has been through, she can't be hurt....
1 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:29 pm

Hmm... I’m not trying to overly observe her I promise, but Mira is quit off today.

Her eyes have this wet hunk coming out of the tear ducts area, she keeps backing away from me like she’s scared of me, and she is doing the stumbling again... It’s not like it was but she’s definitely having a hard time moving about today. Also her ears are hot which they’re never hot.

Again, just mild observations. I try to keep a small log on her since she got sick. I don’t update it everyday like I was but I do know she’s a bit off today.

You guys think she’s getting pink eye? Just a curious question since the weathers ren going hot to cold back and forth
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:41 pm

More like a return of the "polio deal" or pneumonia
2 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Yes, I would be concerned about giving her some more Thiamine. Not saying there isn't a chance of respiratory, but I would jump at the Polio possibility.
Edit: again, I will say, I have never had a case of polio, so not sure.
1 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:55 pm

see if she has a fever
1 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:12 pm

So right after I posted the post, I took Mira outside to get a walk in. I always try to take her out in the afternoon to walk if I’m home or I ask the farm hand to let her out in the calf lot while he works.

Anyway, I took her outside and she’s doing fine. She runs around, trots up to the fence where the cows are and sniffs around, licks at the grass, then chases me around like a puppy and wants to play or try to lick and nibble my pants or jacket or hand. For two hours she’s like that. I put her back in the barn.

Come to check on her, she’s doing fine and up and curious and trying to get food. No stumbling besides running into the water bucket as I walk around it to put my gloves on (which she’s always tripping on stuff or running into the bucket when she’s excited or hungry).

I don’t know... All seems well but y’all know as well as me that she can rollercoaster any minute. Think I’ll call the vet up tomorrow for his opinion anyway.

Glad she seems herself again.
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 pm

see if she has a fever
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Mira thinks she’s a dog or a little human... Just letting you all know :)
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:18 am

Really glad she is doing well.
1 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Really glad she is doing well.

Thank you, Jeanne! I am as well. She’s very playful, curious, and tail wagging now. She’s gotten bigger and she’s just doing well. All that struggle and fuss was worth it to see she’s doing well... I’ll need to see how I feel when she’s older. Pretty sure I won’t wanna sell her by the time she’s older!
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:44 am

Kind of gives a lie to the saying "They are born looking for a place to die"
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:55 am

dun wrote:Kind of gives a lie to the saying "They are born looking for a place to die"

That's sheep LOL and it's true.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:55 am

Update on things because I haven’t in awhile and I want to.

It’s been getting below freezing here every night lately. It gets in the high 20s but with the wind chill it’s basically 0 degrees. Which has been a struggle with Mira since even taking water down in the morning then in the evening isn’t doing much good because it’s pretty frozen by the time I get to changing it. But it’s all I can do right now since the heated bowl I got can’t be left on all day (I was suggested by the place I bought it to not leave it on ALL day or ALL night due to even the nicest of these bowls having a possibility to overheat). So that’s been my new challenge.

Another one is the starter pellets I got Mira. These pellets are the ones we give the cows in the feed and check up plot. The little calves love it and we have to constantly spook off the older cows cause they’ll try to eat it as well. Plus I was just told it would be okay by a vet to give some to Mira as long as the bag was fresh and to keep giving her the bottle since she’s not even two months yet... Well she’s been nibbling the stuff and I think it’s causing her problems. In the morning I’ll check the bowl after I feed her and she’s obviously been nibbling on the cup I give her. But ever since she started nibbling on the pellets, she’s been doing - you probably guessed it - the stumble :/ And not like it was. She’s walking and moving without stumbling, but she sways now. It’s like watching an alcoholic that knows it’s drunk and can move around fine, but ask it to move to fast or stand still and they veer off one way or the other. But what’s strange is that by the time I check her in the afternoon or evening, she’s no longer doing it.

The vet suggested - since at this point I just call them if I’m seeing a weird pattern - that if it’s not persisting throughout the whole day and is a morning thing, it could be partially from being off her legs for so long and suggested I try getting her to move and exercise more, since this sounded more like a muscle problem than a cerebral problem like she’s been having.

So I’m starting a new exercise check with Mira and gonna be making sure she gets to move around more. If the seating gets worse or persists - since this only happened occasionally and not every day or morning - then we’ll be trying the Thiamine again and change her starter feed (I’m already looking into a place to go get alfalfa or something leafy since she seems to like the grass but the snow is hiding it right now) and get more water in her since water is essential for any growth.

Weird swaying aside, she’s a very happy cow. She plays with me if I walk with her outside, she loves trying to talk and sniff at the other cows through the fence, she kicks around in the snow, she nibbles by hand and moos at my dog if he barks at her (rescue dog jealous of bigger dog as I like to call it), and the other day I’m 95% sure Mira’s birth mom was up at the fence yesterday because the moment the girl got close she was moo howling and storming the fence line but if Mira got close she’d still freak out and back away quickly. All kinds of good things are going for Mira right now so I’m just happy she’s doing well, random out of the blue moon sway aside.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”