Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby Rafter S » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 am

dun wrote:Kind of gives a lie to the saying "They are born looking for a place to die"

I'll never forget years ago when I was talking to a vet, and somehow we got to talking about Guernsey cows. He said "A Guernsey cow spends her whole life looking for a place to lay down and die."
0 x
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am

Mira’s not wanting to eat lately. She’ll eat her bottle but she hardly nibbles anymore... At 54 Days Old (almost 8 weeks) I feel like by now she should be eating a little more solids than she is right now. Granted her growth got a little stunted from being sick for a month... I don’t know...

What do you all think?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 am

I cannot give you any insight on this, I've only raised 1 heifer on a bottle. Calves on their dam only have milk. I think baby calf raisers are wanting to get the babies on solid food for "convenience" - maybe?
1 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:01 am

Yeah I wouldn’t worry is she’s not eating solids if you’re still willing to keep bottle feeding her! If you’re in an area where there’s still grass that might be the first thing she’s interested in! I have a 2-3 week old bottle calf right now so we’re in the same boat :)
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:02 am

Sometimes its just a daily struggle to keep them alive. I've had some that do just fine and never have problems, and then some that are on deaths door constantly. I've found that sometimes if they are doing well on one thing, DO NOT CHANGE IT.... like, trying a different feed, change their milk.... We have one that can only eat Precon. We tried switching her to the creep we're feeding to our heifers so we wouldn't have to keep her separated from them and she almost died....SO, until spring she gets precon and has her own pasture...Whether this has anything to do with it, I dunno...but, I hate having a sick calf more than anything specially once I've invested so much time and money into them....
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 am

wow what a thread, You have the patience of Job. if you could get another animal with her that knows how to eat you will see her pick it up pretty quick.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Today was a nice day. High of 50 with a wind that only made it about 40. Not the nicest but compared to the ice and sleet and snow, it’s a nice day. Supposed to be like this the next few days.

So I let Mira out this morning. She was free to roam the full calf lot. She usually walks it with me but I wanted to give her full roaming today.

Where do I find her? In the barn of course. Laying in the hay.

I shoo’d her out and shut the door and left for the next four hours. Come back and she’s hiding behind the tractor in the other part of the barn... Oh Child haha!

So I get her to come out and she nips at me for good before running around.

And what does she do that floors me? She goes to town on the grass! She finds hay from the hay bales and is eating that, eating up grass, eating up small tree-like plants... She’s just nibbling at everything and anything. I’m completely floored because she wouldn’t take anything but the bottle the last two weeks!

I was later told that she probably gets depressed when I’m gone so she gravitates to the barn to wait for me to come back, since I’m all but birthing, I’m “MAMA” to her.

Well “Mama” is just happy to see her eating. And it’s not just nibbling. She’s chewing away like crazy at the grass.

So I guess the only way to get her to eat is to stand out in the cow lot with her because she won’t do it otherwise, crazy girl.
1 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:16 pm

she needs a companion
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:17 pm

M-5 wrote:wow what a thread, You have the patience of Job. if you could get another animal with her that knows how to eat you will see her pick it up pretty quick.

I don't look so long winded anymore huh....lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
M-5 wrote:wow what a thread, You have the patience of Job. if you could get another animal with her that knows how to eat you will see her pick it up pretty quick.

She is a close second.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 pm

M-5 wrote:
cowgirl8 wrote:

She is a close second.

My mama likes to say I could argue and talk the dead awake lol!
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:27 pm

M-5 wrote:she needs a companion

I’d love to give her a companion. But we only take up the calves that struggle to eat after birth and so far she’s the only one. My dog wants to play with her if that counts haha!
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Liz, how old are you?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

Do not buy a calf to be with her. That would be exposing her to bugs that she most likely does not have the immunities for.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”