3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Cattle problems.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: 3 Day Old Cow Wont Eat

Postby M-5 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Liz draxxin can have some side effects. Head shaking , salivating, breathing problems , most likely because of the IM injection. I realize you overly concerned but try to just let it run it's course. Things should be better tomorrow try not to stress.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:11 pm

M-5 wrote:Liz draxxin can have some side effects. Head shaking , salivating, breathing problems , most likely because of the IM injection. I realize you overly concerned but try to just let it run it's course. Things should be better tomorrow try not to stress.

I’m trying not to freak out as hard as I normally would. Mira survived almost dying twice and a seizure... I know she’s tougher than she looks. I just feel bad that I might have made her hurt. But like you said, try to let it run it’s course... I just worry mostly that she won’t / can’t swem to drink her milk and her eyes look terrible... But I’m gonna try to stay calm... Thanks lol. I’m easily jumpy if you have t noticed.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Got Mira to drink 2 Pints (a quart) at midnight then got 3 Pints (a quart and a half) in her this morning at seven. This morning she was mildly playful.

Checked on her in the late afternoon and she was a little lethargic. Walking fine. Her eyes still look rough but she seems to be able to see me and follow me around if I move somewhere.

As long as I can get food in her and she’s up and moving without bumbling about, I feel like she’s gonna be okay.

We’ve decided to move her from the barn. We think something in the barn is triggering her getting constant pink eye. We’re not sure what and I’m on the investigation to clean it up. But right now it needs a full sweep and it’s best to keep her out of there.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Just plain old hay can trigger eye irritations. You can't bullet proof everything. Do you have hay on ground in pen or up in a feeder? Up is nice because it doesn't get used as bedding, but if you are having sensitive eyes, down would be better.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:46 pm

And now she’s pooping white stool... I broke my cow.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Remember, you gave her an antibiotic. That will kill all the good bugs in her stomach. You should give her some Probias to help the good bugs build back up.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Remember, you gave her an antibiotic. That will kill all the good bugs in her stomach. You should give her some Probias to help the good bugs build back up.

I’m so glad You reminded me of giving her Probias! That didn’t even cross my mind!
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:13 am

Jeanne Helped inspire me for this idea!

So after you mentioned Probios, I ran to where I keep Mira’s medication and feed and supplies and started digging around for some Probios.

Sadly I didn’t have any more. But as I was put out that I’d have to wait til tomorrow (today) to get some, my eyes landed on the giant bag of Bounce Back (electrolytes) I had gotten back when Mira had signs of scours and wasn’t eating enough to give her the electrolytes she needed... An idea came.

I mixed 2 Pints (1 quart) if electrolytes. I didn’t want to give Mira a lot obviously because you don’t want to shove too much of this down a calf.

I took the bottle to Mira and she sucked down the full two pints well enough but did struggle just as she had been doing with the milk replacement. But I was happy to get that in her.

I woke up around 3AM and it had been over ten hours since I gave Mira the electrolytes. I rolled out of bed and went down to make three pints (a quart and a half) of replacement and shuffled down to feed Mira and check on her.

I get down there and Mira pops her head up and charges out of the barn (I’m keeping the barn door open now so she has full free roam at night as well) and she headbutts me all the way to the barn light. As soon as she had the bottle, she sucked down the full 1.5 quarts of milk replacement and was head butting me for more. I was completely pleased and surprised by Mira’s appetite and energy. She was basic like her normal self.

I gave her a single pint (half a quart) of electrolytes before I’ve carried myself back to bed. I’ll see how she is when I wake up again but so far the little boost helped a little it seems.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:40 am

Good. Hopefully the meds are kicking in.
0 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 pm

Health is going well for Mira. I’m still unsure about her eyes but after what she went through with the Draxxin, I’m giving her at least a week or two - unless it shows signs of worsening - before I apply anything else to her face.

My biggest concern - and annoyance - is that for the last two days it has been raining. And the rain has flooded the entryway of where I keep Mira / her barn space. The entryway is soaked with mud, hay, and cow poop and it looks like a small muddy swamp.

I’ve decided that once the rain lets up, I’m gonna need to do something for this area because it’s just not sanitary and two it’s dangerous for me when I go to feed Mira - I’m not graceful and mud is freaking slippery.

So I’m gonna look into some crusher run and pea gravel to fill up the area. Gonna have to dig up a small bit of the area then fill it with the crush run and pea gravel and maybe mix in some mulch to help keep the area leveled and from flooding and place something that Mira won’t hurt herself on.

I know mud and water won’t hurt a cow but it’s not exactly keeping her warm and it’s flooding my barn and it’s slippery as snot! So that’s my struggle for the moment!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 am

If you dig it out, put down some fabric made to put under gravel. You should be able to get a piece from place where you get gravel.
Have you made a halter yet?
1 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:If you dig it out, put down some fabric made to put under gravel. You should be able to get a piece from place where you get gravel.
Have you made a halter yet?

Oh landscape fabric! Good idea! I knew I was missing something. And yes I have a halter made.
1 x

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Leveled the muddy area out after the rain has finally calmed down. All that’s left is to lay out the mat and rock and sand leveling.

Mira is doing well. Still think something is up with her eyesight. But she doesn’t show signs anymore of anything to work at. No clouding, no gunk, no pink or yellowing... But I can tell she can’t see too well... Guess she just has poor sight... Othersise she’s okay.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:59 pm

LizHartley1991 wrote:
So after you mentioned Probios, I ran to where I keep Mira’s medication and feed and supplies and started digging around for some Probios.

Sadly I didn’t have any more.

Should ever run into that problem again, yogurt will work just as well, provided it is a yogurt with live & active cultures. Plain or vanilla. Years ago, when I raised bottle calves, that is what I used.

Keep up the good work, sounds like you're doing a good job with her, and learning all that you can.

:D
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

LizHartley1991
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby LizHartley1991 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:43 am

I got a laugh last night. I wanted to test the halter on Mira. I slipped the mouth part on her while she was drinking. As soon as I tried to get it over her last ear, she freaked out and was flailing around as she tried to get it off her face. It took me awhile to catch her and get her settled but I got a laugh as I tried to settle her lol
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”