Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: anaplas question

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:24 am

J&D Cattle wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Tbrake wrote:Thank you very much. I feed ctc and try to be very diligent with fly control. Starting to get enough head that it’s becoming harder to stay on top of it. Flys have been absolutly horrible the last 2 years, seems they are getting resistant to all the chemicals

Very pleased to provide information. I have heard the CTC via mineral is a joke according to my vet. You cannot achieve the levels necessary to prevent Anaplasma.

What state are you located?

What did your vet recommend for prevention if he was against medicated mineral?

Dr. Stanfield gave a presentation specifically on Anaplasmosis. I cannot remember the calculations but the levels that can be achieved with CTC in mineral are 2 to 5 times lower depending on consumption rate, to act as any more than a low to no prophylaxis.

He pushed parasite control. Not necessarily fly control but parasiticides that control ticks.

Furthermore, change needles between animals. Test if you suspect you have it and cull carriers.

Edited to add: he suggested the possibility of having custom mineral mixed and gave the levels of CTC that would provide protection. I raised that prospect with the Mayslick Mill and they said they could not.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: anaplas question

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:39 am

J&D Cattle wrote:
Lucky_P wrote:It is, also, quite readily transmitted by reusing needles... small-scale study at KSU... cow with anaplas at the level of 1% red blood cell infection... they stuck a needle in her, then in the cow behind her; rinse, repeat. 6 of 10 test cows became infected.

Lucky you're a wealth of knowledge as usual. For those producers who do use a new needle for each animal do you use repeating syringes and just change needles or have most went to disposable syringes and needles?

That is a great question. I always have changed needles. But I reuse the syringe. If I see any bleedback into the syringe, I toss it. I suspect if I thought it was actually in my herd, I would not reuse syringe. So far, I have not needed to test for it.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”