Problem with a cows weight...

Cattle problems.
JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Problem with a cows weight...

Postby JSteim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:15 pm

4 year old and calf July 2017 - she has lost a little weight from when this photo was taken. I cant find a newer pic at the moment.
Last edited by JSteim on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and your a thousand miles from the cornfield.

JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JSteim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Calf in October 2 -3 weeks before weaning
0 x
Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and your a thousand miles from the cornfield.

JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JSteim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Ear tag 54 is the 6 year old mother
0 x

JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JSteim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Partial shot of the cow in September 17.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:54 pm

Can't see her other end. Is she dirty? I would also say you are short of copper by the reddish tinge to her hair coat.

Are they on a vaccination program of any kind?
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:46 am

Does she have loose manure compared the rest of the herd?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:23 am

We have one Char cross cow that always drops weight while raising a calf. She is the worst looking cow we have by condition standards, but last 2 years gave us a600+ pound calf at weaning. She eats, keeps up, is gentle and calves successfully each year. Can't ask for more than that. Cows aren't all built the same, so if she does her job to your liking keep her. If not ship her. Just my opinion.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:27 pm

How long have you been in brangus...I've had some of them look like hand slung Chitlins year in and out.. But never missed a calf...hard working gals,and looked the part,, not show winners, just money makers...
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JSteim » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Looked at her today for a while.
She is clean on her back end - no caked on poop. She poops solid and has a great apetite. None of the other cows are chasing her off the feed.
We have a call into our vet to take a look at her.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:59 pm

When the vet looks at her, and in lieu of no real good diagnosis, suggest a magnet. It is cheap insurance and won't hurt her. From the pictures, I don't think she is all that awful; maybe as suggested she just puts her all into the calf. We are putting magnets down more cows now because we rent alot of pastures and don't know what they might find. A couple bucks for a magnet, you can do it anytime you get them in the chute.
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:39 am

farmerjan wrote:When the vet looks at her, and in lieu of no real good diagnosis, suggest a magnet. It is cheap insurance and won't hurt her. From the pictures, I don't think she is all that awful; maybe as suggested she just puts her all into the calf. We are putting magnets down more cows now because we rent alot of pastures and don't know what they might find. A couple bucks for a magnet, you can do it anytime you get them in the chute.

Careful you don't have the whole herd stuck to the barb wire! :D
3 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:08 am

farmerjan wrote:When the vet looks at her, and in lieu of no real good diagnosis, suggest a magnet. It is cheap insurance and won't hurt her. From the pictures, I don't think she is all that awful; maybe as suggested she just puts her all into the calf. We are putting magnets down more cows now because we rent alot of pastures and don't know what they might find. A couple bucks for a magnet, you can do it anytime you get them in the chute.

Lost too many cows to hardware so now every cow, bull and retained heifer has a magnet. Not a guarantee, like any vaccine or preventative measure, but definitely cheap insurance.
0 x

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 am

Alacowman we've had brangus for about four years now. GCreek they're vaccinated with covexin 8 and cattle master 4 + vl5. We have purina wind and rain free choice for about half the year and switch to high mag during spring and summer.
Thin cow that we posted about is on the left cow to the right has a September calf on her both are sired by 607L11

The second picture is of a first calf heifer we weaned there calves at the same time however hers was an April calf. She has put back on more condition then the thin one which was part of the reason we thought something was wrong with the thin one.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:29 am

If she was dirty behind I would say she had picked up something. Maybe she is just one of those who won't put on weight. As long as she doesn't pass that trait on to her calves there should be no problem.

Maybe she is just worried about something.....
0 x

Dsteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dsteim » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am

gcreekrch wrote:If she was dirty behind I would say she had picked up something. Maybe she is just one of those who won't put on weight. As long as she doesn't pass that trait on to her calves there should be no problem.

Maybe she is just worried about something.....

I wouldn't say her behind was dirtier then any of the others. She's weaned more then she weighs in her first two calf's the first one was 622 pounds didn't own her when she weaned that calf. The second one was probably 650 when we weaned her. We bought her at a sale in Mississippi, one of my friends who runs Brangus in Missouri said sometimes when they go from east to west it takes them a while to adjust to the new environment. Haven't had any issues with cattle from different states adjusting before this one though.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”