Cattle Vaccine Regimen

Cattle problems.
TexFarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Cattle Vaccine Regimen

Postby TexFarmer » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:07 pm

What vaccines are you all using on your cattle? I'm using vaccines for Blackleg and one for Viral/Lepto. In addition I'm deworming with a pour on, fly tags when flies get heavy, and band castrating with a shot of tetanus. I have antibiotics set aside for foot rot and pinkeye. Wondering if I need to add anything to my regiment?

Here's the two primary vaccines that I'm using:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle Vaccine Regiment

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 pm

In place of Vira Shield 6 L5. I use Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 L5.

For Clostridial, I use Covexin 8.

I also use Inforce 3 and First Defense as neonatal vaccines.

For a parasiticide, I use Ivomec injectable.

For fly control, I spray with permethrin.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:27 pm

I use the same vacation program .
Hadn’t had foot rot in years supplement iodine. Haven’t had pinkeye either I am obsessed with fly control with rubs, pour on and IGR.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I use the same vacation program .
Hadn’t had foot rot in years supplement iodine. Haven’t had pinkeye either I am obsessed with fly control with rubs, pour on and IGR.

What do you use to supplement iodine?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:46 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I use the same vacation program .

What do you use to supplement iodine?

Range meal.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... B0D0204AE5
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am

I also vaccinate with OneShot Ultra 8 and booster with UltraChoice 8.
Just a word of caution. I believe the ViraShield is a MLV. Be sure you follow directions.
I use BoviShield (basically same) and vaccinate all open cows at least 30 days prior to breeding EVERY year. With BS, it is labeled to be able to vaccinate nursing calves as long as dam is vaccinated within 12 months.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I also vaccinate with OneShot Ultra 8 and booster with UltraChoice 8.
Just a word of caution. I believe the ViraShield is a MLV. Be sure you follow directions.
I use BoviShield (basically same) and vaccinate all open cows at least 30 days prior to breeding EVERY year. With BS, it is labeled to be able to vaccinate nursing calves as long as dam is vaccinated within 12 months.

Vira Shield 6 + L5. Is a killed virus.

Unless it says HB, it does not protect for the bacterial serovar - Hardjo Bovis.
1 x
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 am

Sorry - just "assumed" and you know what that means!!!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:51 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I also vaccinate with OneShot Ultra 8 and booster with UltraChoice 8.

Unless it says HB, it does not protect for the bacterial serovar - Hardjo Bovis.

This is probably asking a lot of you Inyati, but explain to me in common terms about HB please. You guys got me thinking about HB last time we were having a drug discussion, so I read up on HB in cattle. And as best that I could comprehend if your cows have a live calf every 12 months you don't have Hardjo-Bovis in your herd? I pregnancy test all my cows and have always shipped anything that was open. I have enough fingers that I can count the cows I've sent off for being open on one hand, and only one cow was in her prime the rest were older. I've definitely shipped more heifers than cows, so does that mean heifers are more prone to HB? And are older cows more prone to HB? This disease is created by poor culling practices. IMO
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:12 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

This is probably asking a lot of you Inyati, but explain to me in common terms about HB please. You guys got me thinking about HB last time we were having a drug discussion, so I read up on HB in cattle. And as best that I could comprehend if your cows have a live calf every 12 months you don't have Hardjo-Bovis in your herd? I pregnancy test all my cows and have always shipped anything that was open. I have enough fingers that I can count the cows I've sent off for being open on one hand, and only one cow was in her prime the rest were older. I've definitely shipped more heifers than cows, so does that mean heifers are more prone to HB? And are older cows more prone to HB? This disease is created by poor culling practices. IMO

Briefly. HB stands for hardjo bovis. It is a strain of one of the Leptospira bacteria in the vaccine which is Leptospira hardjo. The full name of the strain is Leptospira borgpetersenii. It is responsible for causing most of the abortions due to leptospirosis. So it is important to use lepto vaccines labeled HB.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:34 am

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Briefly. HB stands for hardjo bovis. It is a strain of one of the Leptospira bacteria in the vaccine which is Leptospira hardjo. The full name of the strain is Leptospira borgpetersenii. It is responsible for causing most of the abortions due to leptospirosis. So it is important to use lepto vaccines labeled HB.

Well you couldn't do it in common terms. How can a cow abort a calf and have one every year? Seems to me like culling for production and not being pasture blind can fix and eliminate Hardjo Bovis in your herd? This is a vaccine for those that don't cull on production. From what I can understand from my poor comprehension reading skills is, your not eliminating HB your just controlling it?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:This is probably asking a lot of you Inyati, but explain to me in common terms about HB please. You guys got me thinking about HB last time we were having a drug discussion, so I read up on HB in cattle. And as best that I could comprehend if your cows have a live calf every 12 months you don't have Hardjo-Bovis in your herd? I pregnancy test all my cows and have always shipped anything that was open. I have enough fingers that I can count the cows I've sent off for being open on one hand, and only one cow was in her prime the rest were older. I've definitely shipped more heifers than cows, so does that mean heifers are more prone to HB? And are older cows more prone to HB? This disease is created by poor culling practices. IMO

Well you couldn't do it in common terms. How can a cow abort a calf and have one every year? Seems to me like culling for production and not being pasture blind can fix and eliminate Hardjo Bovis in your herd? This is a vaccine for those that don't cull on production. From what I can understand from my poor comprehension reading skills is, your not eliminating HB your just controlling it?

Simple. Make sure your lepto vaccines say HB.

Remember vaccines provide a measured level of immunity. That is absolutely all they do. How you manage your herd is an entirely separate function. I could not agree with you more on using culling to eliminate any carriers of any organism. I don't have any abortions but I still vaccinate so my cows have a first defense if an organism sets up housekeeping in their body.

Again
Make sure your lepto vaccines have the HB.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 am

We're doing the same to our animals as we've done in mankind. At one time only the healthiest - strongest got to reproduce and pass their superior genes along. Now we have created a society that can't live without vaccines and medical attention.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:20 am

True Grit Farms wrote:We're doing the same to our animals as we've done in mankind. At one time only the healthiest - strongest got to reproduce and pass their superior genes along. Now we have created a society that can't live without vaccines and medical attention.

The wild and primitive animals roamed. We confine to fenced areas or lots and in intensive or mob grazing we do worse. We mix and mingle livestock from the four corners and "Ask" livestock to grow faster, bigger, more muscled, give more milk, ...

If a healthy cow eats grass where a coyote with lepto urinated then there is the issue of needing to eat what is available and aborting rather than roaming over to another county and eating something else. It's not all black and white. I do agree that environmental fit and allowing a level of parasite resistance in the cow calf sector is a long term need for the industry to successfully compete with chicken and pork. It's all about margins and cost of production.
3 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 am

Ebenezer wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We're doing the same to our animals as we've done in mankind. At one time only the healthiest - strongest got to reproduce and pass their superior genes along. Now we have created a society that can't live without vaccines and medical attention.

The wild and primitive animals roamed. We confine to fenced areas or lots and in intensive or mob grazing we do worse. We mix and mingle livestock from the four corners and "Ask" livestock to grow faster, bigger, more muscled, give more milk, ...

If a healthy cow eats grass where a coyote with lepto urinated then there is the issue of needing to eat what is available and aborting rather than roaming over to another county and eating something else. It's not all black and white. I do agree that environmental fit and allowing a level of parasite resistance in the cow calf sector is a long term need for the industry to successfully compete with chicken and pork. It's all about margins and cost of production.

Thank you, now there's a few good reason to vaccinate against HB and other things.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”