Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle Vaccine Regiment

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:56 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote: Changing needles is cost and time prohibitive in a large herd. In Florida when we work cows on the ranch there's no time to change the needle between animals.

It takes literally 5 seconds to change a needle. But it makes a good excuse!

I'd like to see 5 seconds? And doubt you can't do it the right way in less than a minute. We'll be using a syringe full of micotil just to make it interesting. Have you ever worked 200 head in a day? You don't have time to pee.

No. Have not worked more than 30. In fact, at my farm, I am 100 % a one man operation. I take it slow. Don't push myself or the cattle.

But you are not going to convince me that larger operators cannot change needles between cattle if they are motivated.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle Vaccine Regiment

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
It takes literally 5 seconds to change a needle. But it makes a good excuse!

I'd like to see 5 seconds? And doubt you can't do it the right way in less than a minute. We'll be using a syringe full of micotil just to make it interesting. Have you ever worked 200 head in a day? You don't have time to pee.

No. Have not worked more than 30. In fact, at my farm, I am 100 % a one man operation. I take it slow. Don't push myself or the cattle.

But you are not going to convince me that larger operators cannot change needles between cattle if they are motivated.

Very true all it takes to be motivated to work an extra day, and pay a extra guy. The needles don't cost enough to matter. My daughter's only job is to change the needles after each animal, and we were waiting on her on every calf Saturday. I gave every animal 2 shots and some 3 which was a MultiMin, and any of the one's that looked liked they need worming got 4.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Cattle Vaccine Regimen

Postby Cucumber35 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 pm

So changing needles takes a little more time... does that mean it’s not worth it? Needles are too expensive? How is a few cents more cost prohibitive given the cost of the vaccines in the first place? Do you buy the absolute cheapest vaccine or the one that gives the best protection for what you need? My girlfriend and I can work 75 in a day. Yeah it’s a long day but we get it done. I change needles every animal, use disposable syringes and change those every dozen or so, sometimes less. Dehorners or castration knife gets tossed into a bucket of chlorhexidine solution between uses. I don’t find it’s that difficult to at least be somewhat conscious of not cross-contaminating when performing this stuff. I’m not exactly anal about it but it seems like the logical way to do it. Otherwise why even bother?
1 x

darcelina4
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby darcelina4 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:48 pm

I will comment on how people get their kids into school unvaccinated. They state it is against their religion to vaccinate and the school has to enroll them or it would be discrimination against their religion. I love it when people use religion in such a stupid fashion. So many people have forgotten the ravages these diseases caused. My dad had very poor eyesight due to having rubella as a child. I vaccinate my child, cows, dogs. For the cows I use triangle 10 and covexin 8. Is there a problem with them. I am in central Oklahoma.
1 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 pm

darcelina4 wrote:I will comment on how people get their kids into school unvaccinated. They state it is against their religion to vaccinate and the school has to enroll them or it would be discrimination against their religion. I love it when people use religion in such a stupid fashion. So many people have forgotten the ravages these diseases caused. My dad had very poor eyesight due to having rubella as a child. I vaccinate my child, cows, dogs. For the cows I use triangle 10 and covexin 8. Is there a problem with them. I am in central Oklahoma.

I use Covexin 8. It covers the Clostridial group of bacteria. I think it is excellent.

Triangle 10 covers 5 fetal protection viruses and the 5 leptospira bacteria. The virus preparation for Triangle 10 is 'killed'. My caution is that triangle 10 does not cover hardjo bovis strains of Leptospira. For a Few Dollars More you can get Triangle 10 HB.
1 x
Diogenes.

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:24 pm

I asked my Vet about using vaccine with HB in it and he told me it was expensive and unnecessary. I also asked about Inforce on newborns and he said it couldn't hurt and it would pad Zoetis's pocket which they would appreciate. Me thinks he was in a pretty rotten mood. :hide:
I think the Inforce would be good on heifers 1st calf.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:I asked my Vet about using vaccine with HB in it and he told me it was expensive and unnecessary. I also asked about Inforce on newborns and he said it couldn't hurt and it would pad Zoetis's pocket which they would appreciate. Me thinks he was in a pretty rotten mood. :hide:
I think the Inforce would be good on heifers 1st calf.

Inforce 3 is certainly bringing the cash in for Zoetis. I spoke to their technical vet for customer service and he stated it is the number 1 selling vaccine that Zoetis markets.

Regarding the Leptospira serovar Hardjo Bovis. I would characterize his comment as his rightful opinion. Research I have read, strongly contradicts him. BTW. It is not that much more expensive. Maybe your vet had a reason for a bad day. It happens.
0 x
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm

My vet also said it was not necessary - a few years ago. But, he is singing a different tune now. It has spread all over.
As BR said, very little more money to get the one with HB.
Normal vaccines are really not very effective until the calves are 3 months of age. Inforce3 takes them thru from birth to 3 months.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks for the replies....I figured I'd do what I thought best. The past few years I've made sure HB was in my vaccine for the cows and I'll use Inforce on my calves. Our weather is really testing man & beast. We're seeing 40-60 degree temperature variations in a 24 hour period. Haven't had rain since sometime in October. No snow this winter. Nasty dirty here.
1 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:39 am

One more question on vaccinating a newborn. I visited with my Veterinarian yesterday and he doesn't like Inforce because of lack of BVD protection. Fair enough. He says K-State says vaccinating newborns is a waste of money.
I remember Lucky_P recently making a comment that new research says different but I can't find it now.
If I were to vaccinate my newborns with ViraShield 6, am I wasting my money?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Old research claimed cows anti bodies made vaccines a waste until they were 3 mo old. Now, it says it works great at birth. I use Inforce 3, first year.
0 x

Dempster
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dempster » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:16 pm

Virashield 6 in newborns is a waste of money, particularly so if the cow herd has been vaccinated. It's hard to find a vaccine worth giving to newborns in a beef herd beyond Alpha 7 or Inforce III. Most people will get by without those either.
1 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:23 pm

Dempster, that's nearly word-for-word what my Veterinarian said. He thinks Inforce is also a waste. Thanks for your input.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Difference in vets. Mine thought it was good.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:41 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Difference in vets. Mine thought it was good.

Indeed a difference in vets. I have heard it both ways.
1 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”