Tagging calves

Cattle problems.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Tagging calves

Postby dun » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 pm

We just use a sequential numbered tag based on order of birth. First calf is "1" 20th calf is "20". At weaning those being retained get their own individual ID tag. The individual tag is simply order of birth and year code. Too much information makes the tags cluttered and the printing has to be too small to read at a distance. Strictly my opinion!
2 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Calves get a tag with our brand and their dam's number. Heifers get White tags, steers get orange.

2 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Curious as to why some opt to go to the trouble of tagging a heifer calf, then removing that tag upon retaining her, and issuing a new tag?
1 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Silver wrote:Curious as to why some opt to go to the trouble of tagging a heifer calf, then removing that tag upon retaining her, and issuing a new tag?

That's pretty simple really. We don;t retain or sell as breeding stock every heifer born. Most go to the salebarn with the steers. Our criteria for breeding stock is as tough for heifers as it is for bulls.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 pm

dun wrote:
Silver wrote:Curious as to why some opt to go to the trouble of tagging a heifer calf, then removing that tag upon retaining her, and issuing a new tag?

That's pretty simple really. We don;t retain or sell as breeding stock every heifer born. Most go to the salebarn with the steers. Our criteria for breeding stock is as tough for heifers as it is for bulls.

That's fine. No different here. But what does that have to do with the tag change?
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:18 pm

For us, it's simple. I need an easy way to keep track of pairs. We send to too many pastures and the easiest way to keep track of pairs is to tag the calf the same as the cow. There is no confusion this way. Plus, we only keep about 30-40 replacements a year, using feedlot tags(its what we use in all the calves)keeps the cost down, and we are only replacing about $15-$20 worth of tags a year. And this way, we are not putting expensive tags in the calves, $.60 tags rather than $1.50 tags...
1 x

JCcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JCcattle » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm

We don’t retag replacement heifers. We keep only as many as are the best heifers each year - approx 25% of the heifers each year. Not much chance of us having a repeat of the same numbered cow in ten years I guess if there was a double and the old mama was still good to go we’d give the young one a new tag and number. Haven’t run into it yet! I guess everyone has their way. This has been very interesting for me! Thanks so far all you!
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:23 pm

Randi wrote:

For us, it's simple. I need an easy way to keep track of pairs. We send to too many pastures and the easiest way to keep track of pairs is to tag the calf the same as the cow. There is no confusion this way. Plus, we only keep about 30-40 replacements a year, using feedlot tags(its what we use in all the calves)keeps the cost down, and we are only replacing about $15-$20 worth of tags a year. And this way, we are not putting expensive tags in the calves, $.60 tags rather than $1.50 tags...

Okay, I can see you wanting to save $.90 per heifer calf. Our heifers get the cows number plus her own number, so no advantage there... We use the smaller tags on the steers with only the dams number. I don't pull them off at sale time either.
If it works for you that's great, I'm just small time so the extra $.90 seems like a small price to pay to not have to monkey with them again for the sake of a tag.
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Silver wrote:
Randi wrote:

Okay, I can see you wanting to save $.90 per heifer calf. Our heifers get the cows number plus her own number, so no advantage there... We use the smaller tags on the steers with only the dams number. I don't pull them off at sale time either.
If it works for you that's great, I'm just small time so the extra $.90 seems like a small price to pay to not have to monkey with them again for the sake of a tag.

Well, when we retag, it's when we put them thru the chute for another reason. Either when we weigh or when we vaccinate. Doesn't take much time to cut a tag and put a better quality permanent tag in them.
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 pm

And we don't have any special tagging system. Just any unused number from 1-300 (at the moment).
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:36 pm

I like to be able to look through the females of any age and at a glance see who they are out of without resorting to using my poor memory or my herd book. Just my own little hangup.
1 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Off topic what tags does everyone have good luck with as for tags? I have been using ztag feedlot tags (15$ for 50) by yearling time id day close to half are gone. I like to use allflex maxi’s for cows, anyone know a tag that last longer than allflex?
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Tbrake wrote:Off topic what tags does everyone have good luck with as for tags? I have been using ztag feedlot tags (15$ for 50) by yearling time id day close to half are gone. I like to use allflex maxi’s for cows, anyone know a tag that last longer than allflex?

I really haven't noticed much difference between Ritchie, Allflex, and Z-tags as far as retention goes.
I'm using the Ritchie engrave-able tags the last few years because I'm tired of ink fade on the others. We had quit Ritchie quite a few years ago because a lot of the tags were breaking off well below the button on the stem of the tag, but it looks like they fixed that.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:32 pm

My heifers get a calf tag with whatever number they were born at in the order, they keep that number until they calve then then get double tagged with their cow number in each ear.

All calves get tagged as they come out, heifers too as I dont know which I'll be keeping until months after.
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Tbrake wrote:Off topic what tags does everyone have good luck with as for tags? I have been using ztag feedlot tags (15$ for 50) by yearling time id day close to half are gone. I like to use allflex maxi’s for cows, anyone know a tag that last longer than allflex?

I like Ytex tags for the cows. Retention is really good. The calves get Ztag feedlot tags.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”