Down cow after uterine prolapse

Cattle problems.
BButler
Beginner
Beginner

Down cow after uterine prolapse

Postby BButler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:09 pm

We had a cow give birth Friday night & when we found them, she was laying down & the calf was dead. She had a prolapsed uterus and couldn't get up. It rained all night & all of the next day. She wouldn't get up at all Saturday, but had moved around quite a bit. The vet was finally able to come out Sunday & put her uterus back in. He gave her some vaginal bolus & 20mg LA200. Tried to get her up, but she wasn't budging. Monday we got her up in the AM with a hip harness, but she was only able to support herself for maybe 2 minutes. Got her back up in the evening with the hip harness & she supported herself for about 15 minutes. Ate, drank and even tried to chase after our dogs. Today she seems to have gotten worse. Will hardly eat or drink anything. Got her up with the hip harness, but she can't seem to use her back right leg. She's been laying on her sides. Her belly also seemed pretty bloated this evening. She's been getting 20mg of the LA200 every day since Sunday. Any suggestions on what else we can try?

0 x

Dempster
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Down cow after uterine prolapse

Postby Dempster » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:34 pm

It sounds like she is developing peritonitis, I would not expect her to be alive tomorrow. If I understand correctly, she had a prolapsed uterus for ~36 hrs, with rain a significant portion of that time. Its a wonder she was still alive when the vet came out. Additionally, LA 200 is not a daily medication. Sounds like you have treated her three days now and likely still have not totaled a single days worth of the products labeled dose.
6 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:59 am

Dempster wrote:It sounds like she is developing peritonitis, I would not expect her to be alive tomorrow. If I understand correctly, she had a prolapsed uterus for ~36 hrs, with rain a significant portion of that time. Its a wonder she was still alive when the vet came out. Additionally, LA 200 is not a daily medication. Sounds like you have treated her three days now and likely still have not totaled a single days worth of the products labeled dose.

You have spoken much more eloquently than I.
2 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:55 am

Yes, doesn't sound like it is going to end well.

Ken
0 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:10 am

Very sorry if it turns out that way. That's a tough loss.
0 x

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:51 pm

I would be looking for a new vet, he knew better than that. could not have got someone to help push them back in & sew up. sounds like she has a pinched nerve also. sorry, hope she gets up
1 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Once they quit drinking its over....so sorry
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:35 pm

And the longer their down, the less likely they will get up...though some have..
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:45 pm

As long as their trying you need to be trying.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:23 pm

It does not sound good but if she is trying then you have to try. LA200 is not going to be much help and waiting 36 hours to put the prolapse back in after being out and in the rain is really not a good recipe for success. I have to agree that it sounds like peritonitis, and she will more than likely be full of infection. I cannot imagine a vet waiting that long to come put it back in. Have to agree that I would be finding a new vet. With the antibiotic in her she is also not a candidate to butcher for hamburger either. If she is still alive, she should be getting antibiotics IV to get them in her system faster.
Good luck to you, it isn't a good situation you are finding yourself in.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”