Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Try holding them till mid april when the market is usually topping out
0 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Can I turn them around?

Postby Aaron » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:38 pm

I don't know why you wouldn't keep them. Grass is cheap gain, very good gains on fall calves and especially if you think you will get hammered at barn right now - seems like nobrainer.
6 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 pm

I agree with Aaaron. If you sell yours and take a beating then replace them with more expensive steers, you'll never make up the difference. Keep your own. I'd worm 'em, wean 'em, vaccinate & implant. Put em on grass and wait. August is a strong month around here for selling calves. I also have fall calves. I try to buy enough steers of the same weight and type so that when I go to town with them, I've got enough to get buyers attention.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Since I do other more profitable things than raise cattle as my primary source of income. Like I believe most here do.
I seem to generally come out ahead by cutting loose problems and getting on to the next thing. You mentioned a sorry bull. Might not be able to feed your way outta that. I'd probably haul em and be glad their gone. Grow some grass and look forward.
5 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:14 pm

If they have frame to grow and just need weight they will make money. I buy that kind all the time.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:42 pm

kenny thomas wrote:If they have frame to grow and just need weight they will make money. I buy that kind all the time.

Sounds like you two need to get together.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:47 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:If they have frame to grow and just need weight they will make money. I buy that kind all the time.

I need yours also.
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:51 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

I need yours also.

You'll have to pry them out of my cold dead hands.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:00 pm

Those thin calves are the money makers
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:12 am

kenny thomas wrote:Those thin calves are the money makers

I agree Kenny, All you have to do is feed them. That’s a difficult theme for some to follow.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:47 am

Aaron wrote:I don't know why you wouldn't keep them. Grass is cheap gain, very good gains on fall calves

Very few stocker operators here. I think many operators are concerned about having to pay a lot of income tax. :nod: Others have only spring calves, where modern steers would go back to grass at 800 to 900 pounds. :shock: Do you see guys making money grazing that kind up on the Rainy?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:19 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:I don't know why you wouldn't keep them. Grass is cheap gain, very good gains on fall calves

Very few stocker operators here. I think many operators are concerned about having to pay a lot of income tax. :nod: Others have only spring calves, where modern steers would go back to grass at 800 to 900 pounds. :shock: Do you see guys making money grazing that kind up on the Rainy?

Not sure what you mean. No one takes 800 lbers to grass. 725-750 lbs is pretty much the cutoff.

Buy a potload of 6-weight yearling steers in the spring, dump them on community pasture grass from June to Oct for $70 a head and put 300 lbs on each one. Lots of guys do that here.

Heck, one guy was sending 15-20 pots of stocker cattle from southern MN or WI to pastures here via Emerson, MB and up around Kenora to here - that's over 1000 miles one way plus all the customs paperwork. And the kicker was they were originally Canadian calves as they had the CDN brand and when they were done pasturing here, they went back stateside to get finished. Figure about 3000 miles easy on each those calves lives. That worked until the cattle and fuel prices went too high. And the manager here was far too stupid to run that many cattle in the first place - death losses were high.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:08 am

True Grit Farms wrote:You need some chains your just spinning your wheels. A while back you didn't have enough hay, and then you buy more cattle, now your wanting to feed these calves out. First thing you do in the cow business is pull the calves off cows when times are tough. I can't keep up with Farmville.

I found enough hay to make it (wasn't super quality, but they're not going hungry), and I bought 7 long bred cows at kill price. Yeah I'm about spin out. Totally out of control for sure.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:43 am

Been tough here too, with no fall grass due to drought , 8 inches of rain, and things are greening up. Wean em, and keep em if you can , but as others have said, they will make someone money so there will be competition for them at the barn.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:24 am

[quote="Aaron"]Not sure what you mean. No one takes 800 lbers to grass. 725-750 lbs is pretty much the cutoff.
Buy a pot load of 6-weight yearling steers in the spring, dump them on community pasture grass from June to Oct for $70 a head and put 300 lbs on each one. quote]

Spring born calves out of high weaning weight bulls get big by time the next May rolls around. There are folks taking that kind back to grass, but ADG and stocking rate are both suffer unless you like growing high energy annuals. They justify this by focusing on the evils on monoculture row crop and maximizing gross $ sales per cow... :|

A few in Wisconsin import stockers from the mid south. Consistent success in the north/south thing seems to be based on someone who can aggregate, castrate, and precondition #2 calves before they go north for the summer. Never thought about sending calves all the way to Canada. Is there a non resident quota in the community pasture?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Health & Nutrition”