Can I turn them around?

Cattle problems.
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Can I turn them around?

Postby farmerjan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:37 am

I would sell them especially if you just bought some more cows at kill price. There will be competition for them as stated. We just sold some small calves off some of the "old cows" and the steers were 300 lbs and brought 1.85. The heifer calves less, but it was time those cows went. This real cold winter was hard on them even with some silage and grain top dress. If the dairy market continues to get worse, there will be farms that HAVE to sell out due to the amount of money they have borrowed. There will be a ton of cull cows going to market and the prices will drop. We got .50 and .60 2 weeks ago for some open 1000 lb young cows, but these old cows brought in the low 40's. They looked their age. Glad they are gone.

Some lightweight steers brought 2.00 here last week. We look for the feeders to start hitting the sale barn the next few weeks. Grass had greened a little but temps will be in the 20's at night for the next week or two now. More back to normal. At least the faucet has turned off for a few days, only one day of rain forecast this week. Sure hope things get back to a more normal pattern.
1 x

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:00 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Not sure what you mean. No one takes 800 lbers to grass. 725-750 lbs is pretty much the cutoff.
Buy a pot load of 6-weight yearling steers in the spring, dump them on community pasture grass from June to Oct for $70 a head and put 300 lbs on each one. quote]

Spring born calves out of high weaning weight bulls get big by time the next May rolls around. There are folks taking that kind back to grass, but ADG and stocking rate are both suffer unless you like growing high energy annuals. They justify this by focusing on the evils on monoculture row crop and maximizing gross $ sales per cow... :|

A few in Wisconsin import stockers from the mid south. Consistent success in the north/south thing seems to be based on someone who can aggregate, castrate, and precondition #2 calves before they go north for the summer. Never thought about sending calves all the way to Canada. Is there a non resident quota in the community pasture?

Here, if you start taking those big yearlings to grass and come back 1050 to 1200 lbs, your going to get docked at barn. No buyers for fat cattle here, so dockage could be .30 or more. Order buyers don't have market for them either, they just buy and flip in another market.

In their case, I am not sure if they used the community pasture or not. The manager was busy making land deals and leasing the majority of what they needed for pasture. Need a lot of acreage for 1000 stockers and community pasture limit is about 750 head, and full the day they day they start taking applications in March. With the waiting list of locals, I don't think they would consider non-resident applications.
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:25 am

Aaron wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:Not sure what you mean. No one takes 800 lbers to grass. 725-750 lbs is pretty much the cutoff.
Buy a pot load of 6-weight yearling steers in the spring, dump them on community pasture grass from June to Oct for $70 a head and put 300 lbs on each one. quote]

Spring born calves out of high weaning weight bulls get big by time the next May rolls around. There are folks taking that kind back to grass, but ADG and stocking rate are both suffer unless you like growing high energy annuals. They justify this by focusing on the evils on monoculture row crop and maximizing gross $ sales per cow... :|

A few in Wisconsin import stockers from the mid south. Consistent success in the north/south thing seems to be based on someone who can aggregate, castrate, and precondition #2 calves before they go north for the summer. Never thought about sending calves all the way to Canada. Is there a non resident quota in the community pasture?

Here, if you start taking those big yearlings to grass and come back 1050 to 1200 lbs, your going to get docked at barn. No buyers for fat cattle here, so dockage could be .30 or more. Order buyers don't have market for them either, they just buy and flip in another market.

In their case, I am not sure if they used the community pasture or not. The manager was busy making land deals and leasing the majority of what they needed for pasture. Need a lot of acreage for 1000 stockers and community pasture limit is about 750 head, and full the day they day they start taking applications in March. With the waiting list of locals, I don't think they would consider non-resident applications.

We're getting screwed again by NAFTA.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:45 am

Aaron wrote:With the waiting list of locals, I don't think they would consider non-resident applications.

Too bad. I was ready to buy a cabin cruiser and write it off as my northern line shack...
0 x
Stocker Steve

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:07 pm

If you have the extra grass and don’t need the money right now I would keep them. They are just gonna eat grass and get bigger until June. It’s been a tough year on cattle around here too.
0 x

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I see a lot of post on here, that seem to be intended to brag. I guess this post is the polar opposite of that:

I've spent the day, getting things ready to start weaning my fall born calves. It's 25-30 calves, all 6-7 months old. Worst looking calf crop I believe I've ever turned out. I could blame a lot of things. 1. Bull power.....he's gone thank goodness. 2. Bad hay. 3. There off of my oldest cows. 4. Wet winter (hey, anything is better than taking the blame myself).

They are smaller than what I like to wean, and they look like what I call hard winter calves.

If I went to the yard, to buy calves I wouldn't buy these calves.

Think it would pay to worm em again, to keep them till mid June? Give em a few pounds of feed a day, and hope they hit a pound and half of gain a day. Maybe a little more on the best ones. Wgat would you do? send them down the road, and hope for brighter days?

What do you think they weigh? We pulled some ourselves and pretty disappointed. Blaming it some on my bull also and considering changing.
0 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:24 am

Didn't you guys down south have a colder winter? Wet at times? Thats hard on cattle, living next to the ocean I deal with it yearly. Takes good feed and good genes to overcome.

Pour the feed to them, thats all anyone else is going to go with them once they steal them from you.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 am

[quote="Supa Dexta"]Didn't you guys down south have a colder winter? Wet at times? Thats hard on cattle, ....we did..I looked at some registered cattle yesterday that looked horrible,horrible...and they are well taken care of..mine, Thank God... Are starting to look more like their old selves which wasn't much to start with..
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:23 am

Years ago someone said on here "you can't starve a profit out of a cow" With the price of fuel, corn and cotton seed feed was as cheap as I've seen in years.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:25 am

tom4018 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I see a lot of post on here, that seem to be intended to brag. I guess this post is the polar opposite of that:

I've spent the day, getting things ready to start weaning my fall born calves. It's 25-30 calves, all 6-7 months old. Worst looking calf crop I believe I've ever turned out. I could blame a lot of things. 1. Bull power.....he's gone thank goodness. 2. Bad hay. 3. There off of my oldest cows. 4. Wet winter (hey, anything is better than taking the blame myself).

They are smaller than what I like to wean, and they look like what I call hard winter calves.

Think it would pay to worm em again, to keep them till mid June? Give em a few pounds of feed a day, and hope they hit a pound and half of gain a day. Maybe a little more on the best ones. Wgat would you do? send them down the road, and hope for brighter days?

What do you think they weigh? We pulled some ourselves and pretty disappointed. Blaming it some on my bull also and considering changing.

The best cows went on, and had good calves. I guess that's why you call them your best cows. I'd say the average on the rest is going to be 425.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 am

Bigfoot wrote:
tom4018 wrote:

The best cows went on, and had good calves. I guess that's why you call them your best cows. I'd say the average on the rest is going to be 425.

I'd be happy with that gain around here. I figure anything over 2 lbs a day is gravy.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:52 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
tom4018 wrote:

I'd be happy with that gain around here. I figure anything over 2 lbs a day is gravy.

They look bad though.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:56 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:

We're getting screwed again by NAFTA.

Care to enlighten us?
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:10 am

Bigfoot wrote:I'll be glad to just get them off these cows. There sucking the life out of them, in conjunction with the hay I'm feeding. I usually feed my cows a little to, starting in February, and run til grass comes out. I didn't do that this year.

That's why I calve in the spring BF, it always helps when you work with mother nature not against her.
1 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 am

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I'll be glad to just get them off these cows. There sucking the life out of them, in conjunction with the hay I'm feeding. I usually feed my cows a little to, starting in February, and run til grass comes out. I didn't do that this year.

That's why I calve in the spring BF, it always helps when you work with mother nature not against her.

75% of my cows calve spring, and probably 25% in the fall. I usually find little difference in weaning weights, and normally a higher price on the ones I sell in spring. And then this happened.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”