Bloody butt ?

Cattle problems.
Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Bloody butt ?

Postby Black and Good » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 pm

I have young bull calf DOB 1/30/18 that started not feeling well a week ago. I gave him some Draxxin and Vitamin B Complex he seems to be feeling a little better but, he has a bloody discharge streak from his anus down between his cheeks. I darted him so no temp was taken. Any ideas or thoughts on treatment, cause or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :tiphat: B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Bloody butt ?

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:34 pm

Coccidiosis?
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:Coccidiosis?

I considered that but, I don't ever remember a calf that young with it?? B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 pm

I think it can affect anything under 1 year old or thereabouts. I would treat for it, and give a boost with electrolytes. They can go down hill pretty fast if it is Cocci.
2 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 pm

In 2016 I had a bull calf born 3/4 that ended up with bloody stools (probably Coccidiosis) on 4/14. It happens. At the time all I had on hand was LA300, Sustain III calf boluses & electrolytes but it worked, was nursing & back with the herd the next day.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Coccidiosis will hit anytime after 2-3 weeks. I have had it in bottle calves and that is the first thing I treat for if they go even a little off bottle at that age. Bloody discharge/scours type is a dead giveaway. Your calf is about 6 plus weeks, prime time for it to hit and you add in the stress of this up and down crazy weather and temps. I'd definitely treat for that. You might be better off getting him in with his dam and making sure he is getting over it. It is a 4-5 day thing if you do it by the instructions, but I have found on the advice of our vet, that 4-5 cc straight corid down the throat every other day for 3 treatments will take care of it. He told us that the dilution thing is okay but that we would have better luck with it straight and they would rebound quicker. That's what I do for bottle calves now if they even seem to be a little off.
2 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks everyone foe the help! B&G
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”