“Gold Nugget”???

Cattle problems.
lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

“Gold Nugget”???

Postby lms0229 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:48 am

Does anybody know or suspect what is actually in Purina’s “Gold Nugget” feed? Suppose to be high fat and high energy but what do you suspect that to actually be. Curious what you would use as an equivalent to the gold nugget if you were making your own feed? Thanks!
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: “Gold Nugget”???

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:07 pm

soybean oil, and coconut fat, with some kind of binder. You could get the same results with soy oil, and any kind of animal or vegetable fat, (just not from ruminantes of course). Some fats will work better than others, and there is only so much fat you can use.
You can also achieve the same results, with minor reformulation, by using milk replacer, whole soybeans, or cotton seeds. Just have to adjust for the higher protein.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can find it appears that "Gold Nugget" is simply one small part of a complete feed. A "golden nugget" within the feed which is high fat, high energy. Probably the same tiny little pellet they put in Ultium Horse fed. If so it's little more than stabilized rice bran. The remainder of the mix will be a protein pellet, corn, molasses and cottonseed hulls. Yeast, Availa 4 etc are just additives but very good additives.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for your replies; i really appreciate the insight. Any of you have experience in growing and harvesting your own cattle feed outside of hay fields?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 am

lms0229 wrote:Thanks for your replies; i really appreciate the insight. Any of you have experience in growing and harvesting your own cattle feed outside of hay fields?

Too much land, equipment and know how involved for me to try it.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lms0229 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:31 pm

I completely understand lol
0 x

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:40 pm

lms0229 wrote:Thanks for your replies; i really appreciate the insight. Any of you have experience in growing and harvesting your own cattle feed outside of hay fields?

Not on my list at all, right now I'm beginning to work towards as few outside inputs as possible. Cattle have four legs and a broad mouth for a reason.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”