Mineral Cost

Cattle problems.
bse
GURU
GURU

Mineral Cost

Postby bse » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Friend called me yesterday asked if ive ordered my fly control mineral, said be sitting when they tell me, he was right!!! Up $6 per bag. was told some suppliers of micro something of which theres only 2 factories in the world, 1 had burned down and they shut the other down for doing something wrong which causes the increase, they assured me when the place was up and running again the price would drop immediatly, my answer was do you really believe that. anybody else pricing mineral?
On top of that Longrange is up $50 per 500ml, done with that for sure
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Re: Mineral Cost

Postby pricefarm » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Sounds about right. Everything goes up except the price of calves.
1 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Oh yes, I've notice the price increase on minerals. :(
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Mineral cost are too high, it can't really cost that much to produce. It's about $60 a hd per year best I can figure.

The first year I used Long Range I thought I'd found the miracle wormer. My cows slicked off and looked better than ever. The next year we used it they looked like we used the cheapest pour on made, I'm going back to a different injectable this year.
0 x

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cjmc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm not a vet. But in my simple brain sees longrange as a fad product. I just don't see how it can be in the cow for that long and stay effective year after year. To me its a expensive recipe for starting a resistance problem. But I have a simple mind.
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 pm

My vet told me not to use long range on my cows. He said it is best used on calves/ stockers
2 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:16 pm

It's vitamin A that is hard to buy now, and I guess the fire really only damaged the computers but it's taking longer than expected to get things up and running again

Fun fact 1 ton of vitamin A cost about $480000 right now (almost double what it was before or at least that's what I was told)
1 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 am

I just bought the meds to do the spring working on our cows/calves/yearlings and would guess that the cost has more than doubled in the last ten years. I used to be able to make a little money on the cattle but not sure anymore. Everything has gotten so high it's hard to figure a profit. I guess if you figure the big expenses as long terms investments you can make a little money.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:08 am

bse wrote:Friend called me yesterday asked if ive ordered my fly control mineral, said be sitting when they tell me, he was right!!! Up $6 per bag. was told some suppliers of micro something of which theres only 2 factories in the world, 1 had burned down and they shut the other down for doing something wrong which causes the increase, they assured me when the place was up and running again the price would drop immediatly, my answer was do you really believe that. anybody else pricing mineral?
On top of that Longrange is up $50 per 500ml, done with that for sure
Cost of trace minerals have not changed that much. Vitamins is what is running up the cost.
Examples:
Vitamin A-1000 was $1.33 lb..................now $177.00 per pound
Vitamin D3 was$.98 a lb.......................now 5.77 per pound
Vitamin E-50 was 6.20 per lb................. now $7.70 per pound.
These are highly concentrated sources so luckily a ton of mineral does not require a huge amount but even a half pound of A-1000 would raise the price considerably.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Vitamins prices drove my mineral up $350 per ton. I had them leave them out and will give them to them by injection instead. Vet said it might be the better way to go. It insures every animal will get some. The vitamins stay in the liver for around 6 months. They had to special make by minerals and tag them specifically to me with a no resale warning.

The bad news is, another shot at working time. Cost about $1.35 per cow.
The good news is I guess is I have my own personal mineral with my Ranch name on the tag.
0 x

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:55 pm

About a month ago we went to a Cargill sponsored free meal, and the speaker said the BASF plant in Germany, that made vitamin A and E had burned and they were the only source.

I was feeding their cheap brand of Cattle Grazer minreral, but his speech convinced me to go back to "Right Now"

Still not sure if Im feeding the right color... Bought Gold with altosid. He said we should start using Valentines Day, but I waited a couple of weeks.
Must be working have not seen a fly yet......
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:05 pm

We use Right Now onyx. Picking some up today, so we shall see....
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:14 pm

bird dog wrote:Vitamins prices drove my mineral up $350 per ton. I had them leave them out and will give them to them by injection instead. Vet said it might be the better way to go. It insures every animal will get some. The vitamins stay in the liver for around 6 months. They had to special make by minerals and tag them specifically to me with a no resale warning.

The bad news is, another shot at working time. Cost about $1.35 per cow.
The good news is I guess is I have my own personal mineral with my Ranch name on the tag.

Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 pm

"Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you."

I looked at my receipt and is really about $300 a ton or $7.50 a bag. Maybe they are gauging me? The Vigortone IGR with similar ingredients at the feed store is about $35 a bag. I am paying $24 with no vitamins.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:43 am

i noticed vaccines went up in price as well.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”