Mineral Cost

Cattle problems.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Mineral Cost

Postby M-5 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 am

Trucking deserves alot of credit for some of the increase.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:09 pm

bird dog wrote:"Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you."

I looked at my receipt and is really about $300 a ton or $7.50 a bag. Maybe they are gauging me? The Vigortone IGR with similar ingredients at the feed store is about $35 a bag. I am paying $24 with no vitamins.

That's still a heck of a kick in the mouth. $24 is still a bit high if it has no vitamins. For what you're getting Vigortone is overpriced at any price. Same mineral they've made for ages with yeast added. Best thing about it is the yeast.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:20 pm

The $24 is with IGR. I have not priced it without in a while. Don't really have an opinion on Vigortone, its just what is sold locally so I used them as a comparison. Its hard for a simpleton like me to judge one from the other by looking at the ingredient tag. The product I use is from Nutrition Plus. Maybe the worst product on the market, but the cows seem to look good and and my calving rate is better than the averages, so I judge the mineral as being okay.

Do you know a better option?
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 pm

bird dog wrote:"Can't imagine why it would have gone up that much other than just the opportunity to gouge you."

I looked at my receipt and is really about $300 a ton or $7.50 a bag. Maybe they are gauging me? The Vigortone IGR with similar ingredients at the feed store is about $35 a bag. I am paying $24 with no vitamins.

Nice price, we pay in the neighbourhood of $1600 per tonne for our custom mix mineral. We do add BioMoss and Rumensin to it.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:43 pm

I’m really beginning to wonder if all the vaccinations and mineral pay. So many of my neighbors do nothing a seem to get along fine. Throw a bunch of junk cows out on big pasture, turn a bunch of skinny crap looking bulls on them. Gather them once a year and pull the calves off and strait to the sale barn.
This year all I’m going to do is virasheild HB, and pinkeye on the cows. HB, pinkeye, and blackleg on calves. Skipping the wormer, everything got cydectin injectable last fall.
Been feeding vitaferm mineral. Priced IGR and decided against it. Added almost 9$ a bag.
Have to cut some corners somewhere, not sure this is the place to do it or not. Being able to graze wheat, turnips, and cover crops in the winter has helped. I keep track of my expenses very closely, very hard to turn a profit right now
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:47 am

bird dog wrote:The $24 is with IGR. I have not priced it without in a while. Don't really have an opinion on Vigortone, its just what is sold locally so I used them as a comparison. Its hard for a simpleton like me to judge one from the other by looking at the ingredient tag. The product I use is from Nutrition Plus. Maybe the worst product on the market, but the cows seem to look good and and my calving rate is better than the averages, so I judge the mineral as being okay.

Do you know a better option?

Not knowing the guarantees I have no idea what's in it nor how much. I think you really need vitamins but as long as you are comfortable with it I wouldn't change a thing.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:48 am

gcreekrch wrote:

Nice price, we pay in the neighbourhood of $1600 per tonne for our custom mix mineral. We do add BioMoss and Rumensin to it.

Wow, GC.....is that pesos?? lolol.....Pretty expensive but may well be worth it as well.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:21 pm

I have not been affected in the slightest by the rising cost of mineral :pop:
1 x

Angus Rocks
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Angus Rocks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:48 pm

We haven't for our mineral yet for this year but on wormers we haven't wormed most of the cow herd for I think it is close to 5 years now and we have pulled fecal samples on several that look poor and the vet has said it's not high just average. We did have coccidiosis outbreak couple years ago but put corid in the water and didn't have a problem after. We do rotational grazing probably helps some to.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:55 pm

We don't routinely worm our cows, just the ones that seem thin, or have real rough coats or don't want to shed off. But we use DE in out feed and mineral and it has seemed to take care of the worm problem pretty much. We also cull for "poor doers" and unthriftiness. We also do alot of rotational grazing too. We haven't done more than an occasional spot check for worms and it has been low.
1 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:01 pm

TexasBred wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:

Wow, GC.....is that pesos?? lolol.....Pretty expensive but may well be worth it as well.

Seems to make a difference from when we didn’t use any and a big difference once we knew what it was capable of when designed for this Ranch specifically.
2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:04 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:

Seems to make a difference from when we didn’t use any and a big difference once we knew what it was capable of when designed for this Ranch specifically.

Sure would like to see the guarantees on it, feeding rate, and what might be in it other than standard vitamins and minerals. This is just extremely expensive even for a custom mineral.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:39 pm

TexasBred wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Wow, GC.....is that pesos?? lolol.....Pretty expensive but may well be worth it as well.

Sure would like to see the guarantees on it, feeding rate, and what might be in it other than standard vitamins and minerals. This is just extremely expensive even for a custom mineral.

This is Canada Eh........

I will try to find an ingredients slip. Rumensin and Bio Moss are added. Lots of copper, less phos and cal as we have lots in the feed.

There are only 2 mills in BC that make mineral for custon orders. This is cheap compared to the generic stuff at the feed store.
0 x

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:05 pm

TB or anybody else, what does the vitamin A or whatever is so expensive do for cattle? Asked them to mix me some, leave that teaspoon of whatever out, they want me to just go down a grade and keep whatever the vitamin is, can't wrap my head around it, unless it's there big money maker. Don't know
0 x

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Vitamin A is necessary for eyes, not having retained placentas.
https://beef.unl.edu/vitamin-A-importan ... r-nutrient
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”