Getting a calf up

Cattle problems.
ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Getting a calf up

Postby ez14. » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 am

Texasmark wrote:
Lucky wrote:I’d poke hime with something to get him irritated or pop him with a hot shot to see what happens when he tries to get up. Did anybody take his temper? Calcium deficiency?

Calcium deficiency a good question. Not a registered looking Holstein bull, but white with black spots and probably a dairy bull reject...I got started with them for my first bovines...eat and sale barn material. CD is certainly an option. Don't know what she has been feeding it. Had what looked like rabbit pellets in the bucket it was eating out of.

In your asking the question, what are the symptoms besides maybe soft bones? I felt and moved the legs and didn't notice any abnormalities.

My hot shot batteries are dead from years of non use. I ordered some online and will be here in a few days. I may check with her and see if it is still down and see if she is acceptable to my shooting her calf.
calcium deficiency AKA milk fever, will cause their ears to become cold,

If he's only 300ish pounds couldn't you get a strap under him and with 2 people just lift him by hand?
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:59 am

Don't have the two capable people. Been off milk for who knows how long so I doubt that's a problem. Ears didn't feel funny to the touch when I rubbed his face. Thanks
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:43 am

The best thing to do with a down cow or calf is make them get up. I know some people don't like to drag the animal or poke it with a hotshot but asking nicely rarely works. This guy needs to be forced to try and get up. Probably too late by now though. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”