What's this?

Cattle problems.
NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

What's this?

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed May 02, 2018 10:40 am

I saw this yesterday on one of my cows. I don't think its lice as I treated for that in early spring and she's not showing it anywhere else. Based on the location it could be some type of rubbing? Should I treat it?

0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: What's this?

Postby M-5 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:46 am

pour her for lice again . looks like an itch had to be scratched
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Angus Rocks
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Angus Rocks » Sun May 06, 2018 7:08 pm

If it's lice just leave it. It won't hurt her and it will go away
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun May 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Ringworm. We get it on some of the calves, occasionally on a cow. Although not technically caused by a "worm". It is a fungus and is frequently seen on calves late winter, early spring. It is supposed to be contagious but we find it seems to affect only a few in a group. Easy way to get rid of it is to "smother it". We use either an iodine solution put on with a "paintbrush" and really soaked into the skin; or use vaseline and smother the spot on the skin so that it is completely covered. They make other topical solutions for it, but usually one or two applications of the iodine and they are growing new hair in a couple of weeks.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun May 06, 2018 8:29 pm

farmerjan wrote:Ringworm. We get it on some of the calves, occasionally on a cow. Although not technically caused by a "worm". It is a fungus and is frequently seen on calves late winter, early spring. It is supposed to be contagious but we find it seems to affect only a few in a group. Easy way to get rid of it is to "smother it". We use either an iodine solution put on with a "paintbrush" and really soaked into the skin; or use vaseline and smother the spot on the skin so that it is completely covered. They make other topical solutions for it, but usually one or two applications of the iodine and they are growing new hair in a couple of weeks.

In the past, I've used Captan on horses that had it. It worked very well! Its a fungicide for plants. I had a vet suggest it.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Mon May 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Thanks FJ! I'll give vaseline a try as I have some on hand.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon May 07, 2018 5:43 pm

I've never had ringworm until this year and I do have quite a few with it. Asked my vet what I should do & he said nothing, it will go away. As Dun would say, benign neglect.
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon May 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Toothpaste with flouride does the trick too. But that's funny looking ringworm.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 10, 2018 10:06 am

I am not convinced it is ringworm. Looks more like a lice area rubbed off - but pictures are deceiving. RW should have crustie white all over the area. Obviously, we get it - as FJ suggested, vaseline works great, after I dose the area with clorox. Normally, I scrape the heck out of the area, even making it bleed, getting off all the crust. Then clorox, then vaseline several times.
Benign neglect also works great - but not if you want to show. (Thanks Dun)
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Health & Nutrition”