Fat Cows

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Fat Cows

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 7:19 am

BTW: year over year, I have 100 % breed back. All AI. No bull. Of my first 17 AI services this winter - 16 stuck. So breeding is absolutely not being adversely affected by the over conditioning.

Never had an abortion.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Metabolic function of a fat cow: not enough output. Bonsma has some stuff to say on fat cows as it relates to endocrine gland functions; Not positive. We all have preferences. I prefer a cow that gains up and milks off. Seem to last longer.

Obesity has a dramatic impact on the endocrine system in humans.

I see no signs that my fat cows are experiencing any negative endocrine functions. They all have regular normal estrus cycles. Fertility in my herd is good - I have for two years averaged 80 % conception on first serve based on natural heats. Gestation has been normal. Not experiencing any abortions. It is possible that the small percentage that require a second service experienced an early embryonic death.
0 x
Diogenes.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Thu May 24, 2018 12:51 pm

However we look at it, they are fat cows. It can be a genetic disposition, great feed, ... If fertility is great(it is), then there is a level of production being missed if heavier calves are worth more. But if it works and you are happy - good.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Ebenezer wrote:However we look at it, they are fat cows. It can be a genetic disposition, great feed, ... If fertility is great(it is), then there is a level of production being missed if heavier calves are worth more. But if it works and you are happy - good.

I agree.
0 x
Diogenes.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm

I have one I call Fatty MC Butterpants....
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 24, 2018 6:33 pm

I see well muscled cattle in great condition. I only saw the one animal with ugly tail head fat on her. None of the others appeared super fat to me. If I am correct, these were mostly bred heifers. Not milking yet. I want my heifers in BCS of 6.5 to 7 prior to calving. They look spot on.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu May 24, 2018 7:13 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I see well muscled cattle in great condition. I only saw the one animal with ugly tail head fat on her. None of the others appeared super fat to me. If I am correct, these were mostly bred heifers. Not milking yet. I want my heifers in BCS of 6.5 to 7 prior to calving. They look spot on.

You can talk like that all day!

Seriously, I am glad to hear that. I do worry about them getting too fat.
0 x
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 pm

I did not see bulging briskets or fat deposit in the flanks. Not trying to boost you up or saying that because they are Simmies. They just look like really good quality cattle IMHO. Just the way I like them.
A producer can try to save money by "grass feeding" their weaned calves thru breeding & calving. But, the little I spend on a weaned heifer is MORE than paid for by not losing a calf because she was not grown out properly.
They will lose any excess fat when they start milking.
1 x

BFE
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BFE » Fri May 25, 2018 6:53 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
BFE wrote:Good problem to have! That's what I'm going for here. So many claim the Simmental is hard doing, but ours stay in better than good flesh and raise good calves on nothing but grass and mineral.
Same here on the grass. I was chasing a calf through a hayfield yesterday, chest high fescue and OG, and I'm 6'2". We should be making hay next week.

Even longhorn and Corriente cattle would be pig fat on that kind of grass. Hard doing cattle don't show up in good times, it's the hard times that separates cattle that can hustle and those that can't.

I seen more ponds dry up last year than I ever have in my life, and those sim cows stayed in good flesh with no feed or tubs. I guess extended drought is good times.
0 x
Formerly known as Clodhopper from SE IL

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 25, 2018 12:43 pm

You fall calve right?..... seems you would want wet cows on your best grass of the year.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 25, 2018 5:02 pm

fence - you talking to me? If so, I "mostly" calve 1-1 to 3-10 with a small group (10 this year) in the fall.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:fence - you talking to me? If so, I "mostly" calve 1-1 to 3-10 with a small group (10 this year) in the fall.

No ma'am.
I was talking to Raven.. his cow's get to fat every year on his high caliber Kentucky grass.
But he fall calves. The solution seems obvious to me.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 25, 2018 7:29 pm

callmefence wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:fence - you talking to me? If so, I "mostly" calve 1-1 to 3-10 with a small group (10 this year) in the fall.

No ma'am.
I was talking to Raven.. his cow's get to fat every year on his high caliber Kentucky grass.
But he fall calves. The solution seems obvious to me.

Andy, I am 100% AI. For 2 reasons: 1. I enjoy the process. 2. It relieves me of the cost and management of a bull.

As a result of doing all AI, I found in my area, heat detection and access to the facility is difficult and frustrating during the spring. When it warms up and the grass comes on, the cows become inaccessible for AI. They spend their time in remote areas and get down in the hollers. To have spring calves on my farm would require a bull. Therefore, I went to all fall calving. All my calves are born in September and October. I begin my AI breeding on Thanksgiving. The cows are on hay, they stay close to the headquarters, and Heat detection is easy. When I need to AI, it is easy to move them into the facility.

No way I will ever go back to spring calving!
0 x
Diogenes.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri May 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Don't change anything. You have too many "GOOD" things going with your cattle to begin playing games with them. BTW only one you showed was a bit overconditioned.
3 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 pm

TB - I totally agree.
We all need to manage our herds under our own individual "management", facilities, and environment.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”