Pasture Pneumonia ?

Cattle problems.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Pasture Pneumonia ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu May 31, 2018 11:24 pm

I have seen a few cases in the past. Usually a calf with a poor milking mother and less than ideal weather. I assume stress is a factor.

Neighbor has an outbreak currently. He is a rope um and drag um dummy with pool table pastures. I assume stress is a factor.

When I was at a KSU Stocker event, they thought Inforce 3 was effective in preventing pasture pneumonia. Any tips or treatment comments on this disease?
0 x
Stocker Steve

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Re: Pasture Pneumonia ?

Postby ddd75 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:43 am

i've used nuflor on those and had good results. consult the label as I don't think you are supposed to give it to calves under a certain age.
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:12 am

Nuflor or Draxxin. You can vaccinate at birdt with Once PMH for pasturella.

Inforce covers BRD problems.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 am

Resflor works well for this also.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 am

Steve -
We give inforce 3 and Once PMH IN to all calves at birth.
I believe Once PMH has done us a world of good in preventing calf pneumonia and highly recommend it.

http://www.leedstone.com/once-reg-pmh-in-2.html/
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:44 pm

I had been using Inforce 3 and Calfguard at birth, but that is not a total solution.
I think a rough April, the record heat in May, and a late pasture turn out set us up for more problems this year.
I often cull (the cow) for pasture pneumonia, but obviously this is after the fact.
0 x
Stocker Steve

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:05 pm

I had a batch of it one year for reasons unknown but I have a theory. I had a batch of weaned calves on a 25 acre pasture during the hot part of the year and only had a very small area of shade. The rest of the herd was on it usual rotation and didn't have any sickness.
My theory was the calves respiratory system was getting compromised by the dust, manure, urine and flys from this small batch of shade that they crowded into every day. It was downright nasty underneath these trees. No matter what I gave them, some of them could not shake the virus. I think the nasty dust was the major problem. I opened up the fence to give them a larger area of shade and the problem got better but some calves still looked rough with a ragged looking hide.
I sold them earlier than I wanted to as I was afraid the problem would get worse.
Stress was probably a contributing factor but these calves had been weaned a few weeks before they got sickly.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Son of Butch wrote:Steve -
We give inforce 3 and Once PMH IN to all calves at birth.
I believe Once PMH has done us a world of good in preventing calf pneumonia and highly recommend it.

http://www.leedstone.com/once-reg-pmh-in-2.html/

I might be mistaken but thought it unusual for a vaccine to have a 21 day slaughter withdrawal period, must be to give time for the attenuated organism to clear the system.

Ken
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:50 pm

Oddly enough, I had a 2 year old bull start acting droopy Sunday. Slobbering, walking a bit stiff, occasional cough, laying in the shade while the rest of the boys are out grazing. I hit him with Nuflor, since I was out of Draxxin. Was going to give him a magnet yesterday just in case, but he is back to himself. Our weather is just not cooperating. Even the goats are not loving it. Glad I don't have any spring born calves to worry about.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Return to “Health & Nutrition”