When is a Bull Calf too big to band?

Cattle problems.
M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Re: When is a Bull Calf too big to band?

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:52 am

It sure would be a good idea. I work through the side bars of the chute, but I have to be careful. Normally, if I touch them a few times instead of just going straight in and grabbing the sack they don't move much, if at all. If one kicks too much I just tie his leg to a chute bar. But I'm working with a half-azzed set up.
0 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:54 am

I found a Youtube video that mentions they're working on a mini zip bandit for smaller calves.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am

I don't know about others, but we "tail" our cattle. If you hold their tail straight up & hold the tail putting pressure at the base of the tail pushing toward their spine/head - they cannot lift their hind legs. They can still jump around, but they soon stop because they really can't feel their legs. We do it when we clip teats on heifers or band or cut castrate bulls.
I tail. I stand inside the chute on the side of the animal - using two hands, one at the middle of the tail to stabilize it/hold it down near their sping & one at the base pushing hard. Nephew kneels down behind. Knock on wood, he has NEVER been kicked ---- or hubby in previous years.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:55 pm

I’m counting down the years til my boys are old enough to help. :D
1 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:19 pm

I tried to call the bussiness that makes the bands and left a message. The owner called and talked to me for a while today. A very nice man. Said it took him and his wife two years to perfect this where it was reliable and worked well. Said since they have started selling to the public they have sold over 20,000 and had 4-5 that failed while applying them but haven't heard of any failures once applied. Said they had determined some of the bands weren't being made of a consistent quality and thickness. For now they are stretch testing each band before shipping. Confirmed they were working on a band for smaller calves but said it would likely be a while before it was available. Also asked me to let him know my thoughts and opinion once I had used them. Also said to contact him with any questions or about any issues. Seemed like a very nice person. I told him that I would.
4 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:00 pm

M.Magis wrote:It sure would be a good idea. I work through the side bars of the chute, but I have to be careful. Normally, if I touch them a few times instead of just going straight in and grabbing the sack they don't move much, if at all. If one kicks too much I just tie his leg to a chute bar. But I'm working with a half-azzed set up.

Google Imobolizer. I knife cut every bull calf I raise or buy by myself. So much easier for me and the calves. Seems I gave $235 a 2-3 years ago. Charge it up and it lasts for hours.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm

M.Magis wrote:I’m counting down the years til my boys are old enough to help. :D

Don't wish too much. It won't be long that they will be away from home and can't help! :heart:
1 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:44 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
M.Magis wrote:It sure would be a good idea. I work through the side bars of the chute, but I have to be careful. Normally, if I touch them a few times instead of just going straight in and grabbing the sack they don't move much, if at all. If one kicks too much I just tie his leg to a chute bar. But I'm working with a half-azzed set up.

Google Imobolizer. I knife cut every bull calf I raise or buy by myself. So much easier for me and the calves. Seems I gave $235 a 2-3 years ago. Charge it up and it lasts for hours.

I’ve seen them advertised on CL and was wondering if they were worth looking into. Thanks.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:03 pm

M.Magis wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:

I’ve seen them advertised on CL and was wondering if they were worth looking into. Thanks.

To me they are very worth it. If I want to work 1 calf or 20 I don't need help so I can do it on my schedule.
Mine is not the one on Craiglist. I will get the name to you over the weekend.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Texas PaPaw
GURU
GURU

Postby Texas PaPaw » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:04 am

sstterry wrote:
M.Magis wrote:I have a California bander I use for just a few per year. Its about as easy and fool proof as I can imagine. If I cut a slit in the sack, everything is gone within 2 weeks. I keep saying I’ll do them earlier each year, but they’re usually 400-600 lbs before I get to it.

What is the benefit of cutting the slit?

It lets the cord and nuts dry out, fall off and heal up in half the time of unslit. I started slitting years ago after watching an 800 lb bull that had been banded a couple of weeks walking around with dried out leather sack dangling from just the cord. Seems the sack turns to leather and slows the drying and detachment of the cord.
2 x
Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Brock's Law "If you do enough stumblin', you'll stumble on to something"

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:02 pm

When we knife castrate, we take the bottom 1/3 of the scrotum off. We do not make "slits" like they used to (one for each testicle). So, are you talking about making a vertical slit? or slit open the bottom. If you didn't open the bottom, I would be afraid of "pooling".
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:54 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:When we knife castrate, we take the bottom 1/3 of the scrotum off. We do not make "slits" like they used to (one for each testicle). So, are you talking about making a vertical slit? or slit open the bottom. If you didn't open the bottom, I would be afraid of "pooling".

I have never had any issues with by not slitting the bag.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:04 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:When we knife castrate, we take the bottom 1/3 of the scrotum off. We do not make "slits" like they used to (one for each testicle). So, are you talking about making a vertical slit? or slit open the bottom. If you didn't open the bottom, I would be afraid of "pooling".

I make one slit between the nuts, right on the bottom for that reason. I’ve done plenty without the slit, but now that I’ve seen the difference I slit them all.
1 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”