Postby kickinbull » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:58 am

How’d that happen?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Anthrax in herd in SD

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:09 am

The South Dakota Animal Industry Board says anthrax spores survive indefinitely in contaminated soil. The board says strict enforcement of quarantines and proper burning and burying of carcasses suspected to have died from anthrax is important to prevent further soil contamination from bacterial spores.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kickinbull » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:40 am

I’ve read information about anthrax. I’m curious what happened to revive it on this farm?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:46 am

kickinbull wrote:I’ve read information about anthrax. I’m curious what happened to revive it on this farm?

One can only speculate. The reports don't suggest why it suddenly infected these cows. Perhaps the owner worked the soil that exposed the spores then the cows went in and got infected.
0 x
Diogenes.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:55 am

Hard to say, and I haven't read the article nor do I know the timeline. S.Dakota and that region recently got some uncharacteristically heavy rains in May and again last week.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 am

Weather, and someone forgot to vaccinate.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:01 am

Remote pastures that do not get checked often can get out of control.
Was out shooting dogs in SD and came up to a big berm in a pasture.
They had used a dozer to help dispose of all the anthrax victims...
They bring in a state vet and make quite of deal out of an outbreak.
Are wild animals a reservoir?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:31 pm

SS - Shooting dogs??
Anyway, I googled this and found that all of SD is potential for Anthrax. They just posted a 2nd case in SD.
The two articles I read said "Significant climate changes such as drought, floods and wind can expose anthrax spores to grazing livestock".
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:SS - Shooting dogs??
Anyway, I googled this and found that all of SD is potential for Anthrax. They just posted a 2nd case in SD.
The two articles I read said "Significant climate changes such as drought, floods and wind can expose anthrax spores to grazing livestock".

Prairie Dogs. Not canine dogs.
1 x
Diogenes.

Dempster
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dempster » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:46 pm

The ideal conditions for anthrax spore activation are periods of high heat that follow a heavy washing rain.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:SS - Shooting dogs??

Suspected Anthrax cases shouldn't be post mortem'd. Sudden death with dark tarry blood from anus is very suspicious and a faecal smear stained is easy accurate diagnosis of the disease from what I can remember but Luckyp may comment and give his opinion. The carcase is best left whole and disposed on the spot by burning and burying anything left rather than open it and spread it around.

Ken
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
kickinbull wrote:I’ve read information about anthrax. I’m curious what happened to revive it on this farm?

One can only speculate. The reports don't suggest why it suddenly infected these cows. Perhaps the owner worked the soil that exposed the spores then the cows went in and got infected.

Had this same thing happen locally a couple of months ago. Only it was blackleg, not anthrax. Vet said it too could live indefinitely in the soil.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:50 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Had this same thing happen locally a couple of months ago. Only it was blackleg, not anthrax. Vet said it too could live indefinitely in the soil.

Mike - blackleg is of the genus Clostridium. They are also spore forming bacteria like anthrax. Very hardy organisms. Your vet is correct.
0 x
Diogenes.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Mike - blackleg is of the genus Clostridium. They are also sore forming bacteria like anthrax. Very hardy organisms. Your vet is correct.

It was eye opening for a bunch of us local village idiots that thought blackleg was no longer a threat. We got complacent in the fact that we hadn’t seen any locally in many many years. I WILL be vaccinating for it from now on. It’s a no brainer. Only cost around a $1 a dose.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:59 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:

Mike - blackleg is of the genus Clostridium. They are also sore forming bacteria like anthrax. Very hardy organisms. Your vet is correct.

It was eye opening for a bunch of us local village idiots that thought blackleg was no longer a threat. We got complacent in the fact that we hadn’t seen any locally in many many years. I WILL be vaccinating for it from now on. It’s a no brainer. Only cost around a $1 a dose.

Should be spore not sore. Lol. Yes. The Clostridial 7 way , 8 way. However many ways means that the vaccine covers 7 species or 8 species, all of the genus Clostridium. They are everywhere in the environment, world wide. My dad basically died from Clostridium difficile. He was on antibiotics for a prostate infection. The antibiotics depressed his intestinal flora and the difficile took over. He was 92 and essentially starved to death.
0 x
Diogenes.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”