Please tell me about Anaplasmosis?

Cattle problems.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Please tell me about Anaplasmosis?

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:44 am

After having a couple of dead new born calves Dr Jones from UGA would like us to send him 20+ blood samples so he can check for anaplasmosis in our herd. My main questions is if he finds anaplasmosis in our herd will we be able to sell our cows? Will our property be quarantined? He mentioned something to my wife that if the cows test positive for anaplasmosis that cows shouldn't go back into the pasture where we found the dead calves. Right now we don't have the time to drawblood and learn about this mess.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Please tell me about Anaplasmosis?

Postby M-5 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:52 am

If your looking for a reason you will certainly find one. A couple of dead calves out of the numbers to run is not alarming.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 am

This is a recent thread on it. I think Lucky commented. Check that but I don't think it addressed quarantine or selling your cattle.

I know a higher tier Simmental/Angus operation here that has intensive protocols to deal with anaplasmosis just for the same reasons you are raising these questions.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=115183
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:16 am

Bright Raven wrote:This is a recent thread on it. I think Lucky commented. Check that but I don't think it addressed quarantine or selling your cattle.

I know a higher tier Simmental/Angus operation here that has intensive protocols to deal with anaplasmosis just for the same reasons you are raising these questions.

My attention span is to short for all those stinking commercials, worse than a football game. Thanks for the heads up on the thread.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:31 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:This is a recent thread on it. I think Lucky commented. Check that but I don't think it addressed quarantine or selling your cattle.

My attention span is to short for all those stinking commercials, worse than a football game. Thanks for the heads up on the thread.

This is the post made by Lucky:

pdf and all
As far as I'm aware, the Anaplasmosis vaccine from University Products LLC requires a yearly booster after the initial two-dose series.
Vaccine does not prevent infection, but prevents clinical disease... and yes, those vaccinated animals will test 'seropositive' - but they may also be seropositive due to persistent low-level parasitemia... they won't get sick and die, but could still serve as a source of infection for ticks that may then feed on and transmit the parasite to uninfected cattle.

If I (or my next-door neighbor) had Anaplasmosis in our herd(s)... I would be vaccinating.

The level of CTC allowed in mineral will only protect up to a 750 lb animal - and then, only if they're eating their theoretical 4oz of mineral every day. There's not enough, and consumption is so variable, that I would never trust CTC-medicated mineral to provide 'protection' for mature cows/bulls. It might help, but the likelihood of 'breakthrough' cases is pretty high.
For effective 'control' of clinical disease, cattle need to consume 0.5mg CTC/lb body weight DAILY throughout the vector season(Apr-Nov here). Note that those animals consuming that level of CTC can/will still become infected... they just will be far less likely to develop clinical illness and die.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:37 am

M-5 wrote:If your looking for a reason you will certainly find one. A couple of dead calves out of the numbers to run is not alarming.

A couple of dead calves in a row isn't normal for us. I wouldn't be concerned at all if the calves needed some kind of help. Both were fully developed, looked normal and no visible signs of a hard birth. If there's a problem somewhere we need to find out ASAP. The farm visit and blood testing is being covered by the beef checkoff program. I'm just leary of government intervention and opening a can of worms that I can't close.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:50 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
M-5 wrote:If your looking for a reason you will certainly find one. A couple of dead calves out of the numbers to run is not alarming.

A couple of dead calves in a row isn't normal for us. I wouldn't be concerned at all if the calves needed some kind of help. Both were fully developed, looked normal and no visible signs of a hard birth. If there's a problem somewhere we need to find out ASAP. The farm visit and blood testing is being covered by the beef checkoff program. I'm just leary of government intervention and opening a can of worms that I can't close.

It is especially serious for seedstock producers. Selling breeding stock carrying Anaplasma spp. is a potential business ending disaster.
0 x
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:36 pm

0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:00 pm

Anaplasmosis can cause abortions. But I’m not sure about stillborn calves that are full term. Do you know if these cows were full term?

Edited to add: potential causes of weak and stillborn calves are brucellosis, anaplasmosis, neosporosis, BVD, IBR, Blue Tongue disease, and nitrate toxicity.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:31 pm

Grit - if I remember correctly, you have a good vaccination program don't you?
What do you use on your cows?
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:29 am

JMJ Farms wrote:Anaplasmosis can cause abortions. But I’m not sure about stillborn calves that are full term. Do you know if these cows were full term?

Edited to add: potential causes of weak and stillborn calves are brucellosis, anaplasmosis, neosporosis, BVD, IBR, Blue Tongue disease, and nitrate toxicity.

Both calves looked completely normal.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:34 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Grit - if I remember correctly, you have a good vaccination program don't you?
What do you use on your cows?

We're some in between with our vaccination program. Everyone gets Triangle 10 HB, Calvary 9 and boosters yearly. We wormed everyone good this year with Cydectin injectable and a white drench. Most of the time we only worm calves and yearlings. We've had two live caves in a row now so things are improving.
1 x

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:48 am

Worked a case several years ago... well-managed herd with some hiqh quality genetics.
Several near-term abortions occurred over a very short timeframe... fresh fetuses and placenta submitted for diagnostics... absolutely normal, no pathogens detected. But when the cows started dying 3-5 days later, the cause was quite apparent... anaplasmosis.

It may vary from state to state, but to my knowledge, anaplasmosis is not a 'reportable disease' and there's no quarantine or embargo on selling cattle out of an infected herd.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:00 am

That's a little scary to hear. Cattle could be moving all over and be carriers. Is it really prevalent? Sounds like a very sneaky threat to our herds. Been around a long time, though.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:28 am

True Grit Farms wrote:After having a couple of dead new born calves Dr Jones from UGA would like us to send him 20+ blood samples so he can check for anaplasmosis in our herd. My main questions is if he finds anaplasmosis in our herd will we be able to sell our cows? Will our property be quarantined? He mentioned something to my wife that if the cows test positive for anaplasmosis that cows shouldn't go back into the pasture where we found the dead calves. Right now we don't have the time to drawblood and learn about this mess.

I think you can sale the cattle might want to sell as ''slaughter only''
Property should not be quarantined it is carried through the blood, needles. preg. checking, and ticks, most vets will tell you that it can be transmitted by the horse fly. some do not agree with that. The year I fought it the vet I was using gave everything a shot of LA200 even if they did not look to have it. If you did that make sure you do not reuse needles.
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Return to “Health & Nutrition”