@!#$%&*# Foot Rot is consuming my life

Cattle problems.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: @!#$%&*# Foot Rot is consuming my life

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I am surprised that you guys are having success with an antibiotic like Draxxin. LA200/LA300/Biomycin is the only thing I knew to work on foot rot.

Some percentage will get better if you inject them with water...
Question is why send so much for the latest meds?
0 x
Stocker Steve

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I am surprised that you guys are having success with an antibiotic like Draxxin. LA200/LA300/Biomycin is the only thing I knew to work on foot rot.

Some percentage will get better if you inject them with water...
Question is why send so much for the latest meds?

Steve with us it isn't because it is the latest medicine. It is because it seems to work consistently. We need something we can rely on that works most if not all of the time. LA200/300 doesn't work on most around here with one treatment. Nuflor does and Draxxin has all but once. We also keep Draxxin on hand for other illnesses so it saves having a fridge full of medicine.
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 pm

elkwc wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Are you sure your not fighting ergot ? As it will cause lameness as well.

If you are talking to me I'm pretty sure. For several reasons. First they have the smell. I have took a tie rope and worked it between their toes. Also the year it was so bad after about 3 we took one to the vet and he verified it. I also wanted to get his input on treatment. Which was basically the same as we had been doing. Either Nuflor or Draxxin and turn out in a pasture with no ponds they could stand in or a good dry lot. Then later took another one and both times the vet verified it. So no doubt about them. Both vets say that the bacteria can live in the soil for a while so once you get it in a pasture you are more likely to have reoccurences in that pasture.

Spray their feet down with a 10% chlorox solution out of a pump up sprayer it will help.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
elkwc wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Are you sure your not fighting ergot ? As it will cause lameness as well.

If you are talking to me I'm pretty sure. For several reasons. First they have the smell. I have took a tie rope and worked it between their toes. Also the year it was so bad after about 3 we took one to the vet and he verified it. I also wanted to get his input on treatment. Which was basically the same as we had been doing. Either Nuflor or Draxxin and turn out in a pasture with no ponds they could stand in or a good dry lot. Then later took another one and both times the vet verified it. So no doubt about them. Both vets say that the bacteria can live in the soil for a while so once you get it in a pasture you are more likely to have reoccurences in that pasture.

Spray their feet down with a 10% chlorox solution out of a pump up sprayer it will help.

It will help, putting them where there is no mud to stand in helps as much but in some cases we have found they only get worse unless we treat them.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:24 pm

CB nothing seems to work consistently. Use to spray dairy cattle feed with chlorox, then we switched to using a solution heavy in copper sulfate. Put in a foot bath and had them walking through formaldehyde. Had hoof trimmer come out monthly and work on foot rot. Nothing got rid of it completely and it's just as bad in the heat of summer as the cold mess of winter.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 am

One shot of antibiotic is giving significant improvement, so I doubt it. I always check hooves at least on the first treatment because I had one get a twig stuck in the soft tissue like a giant splinter several years ago.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:06 pm

Nuflor has worked great for foot rot for us. I also mix salt with my mineral and it seems to help.
1 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 am

What kind of cattle are y’all having foot rot problems with? I’ve only seen it in my Herefords. My Brahmans haven’t had a problem with it. I started mixing iodine with my salt/mineral after the 3rd case of it this year and haven’t had a problem since though. Using this
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:56 pm

5S Cattle wrote:What kind of cattle are y’all having foot rot problems with? I’ve only seen it in my Herefords.

Augus bulls. Seems to be an occupational hazard.
0 x
Stocker Steve

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Angus cows and heifers. Only one bull in 4 years.
0 x

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:35 am

[quote="5S Cattle"]What kind of cattle are y’all having foot rot problems with? I’ve only seen it in my Herefords. My Brahmans haven’t had a problem with it. I started mixing iodine with my salt/mineral after the 3rd case of it this year and haven’t had a problem since though. Using this
Image[/I quote]
My angus cows
0 x
Backward B Ranch
Registered Brangus Cattle

Turkeybird
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Turkeybird » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:49 am

Excede is labeled for foot rot I do believe
0 x