Rabies Symptoms?

Cattle problems.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Rabies Symptoms?

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Agree with pneumonia as the most likely scenario. Learned my lesson last year with a calf I saw every day and kept him on my radar but rarely made him actually get up. They're darn sneaky when they want to hide something and will look perfectly fine with no obvious symptoms except your gut tells you otherwise. Didn't follow my gut and ended up treating him after he was away from the herd, still no snotty nose/watery eyes but a little frothy and 105 temp. Draxxin, Resflor Gold, Sustain boluses, drenched, Banamine for 7 weeks and he still died. It sucks but it happens and I'm sorry for your loss.
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Thank you. Well at least if he was going to die, he didn't hang on for seven weeks. I kind of think he might have hung on a few more days without the stress of running him through the chute to give him the shot and get a temperature. He came unglued and started rearing and crashing up and down. Used up the energy he had left. He had been through the chute several times before, including on the 3rd of July when we ran everyone through for some pour-on to control flys. He hadn't acted like that then, but he always had others going through with him and we didn't even catch heads for the pour on.

This one did not have a snotty nose or runny eyes either. Just lethargic, breathing with kind of a tick sound and slightly frothy mouth that was extreme after he exited the chute. Going in I thought our odds of saving him were decent, but when he came out I kind of knew he was unlikely to last the night.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:07 pm

I had a bottle calf get rabies. We had a blind dog that I locked up with the bottle calf to keep her from wandering in with the mule when we weren't around to keep an eye on her and at night. Mule kept attacking her when she wandered into the pasture. During one night, our other dogs(all vaccinated) chased a skunk into the pen with the calf and dog. The dog was a stray I picked up off the highway after seeing her sitting in one spot for days, she was blind, had only 2 good working legs bless her heart.. Had her only a few weeks till this time, wasn't sure what I was going to do with her, she appeared to be full of puppies. Anywho, the dog started acing funny a couple weeks after we found the dead skunk in their pen. She started howling and walking around in circles. Other than that, she did nothing until she got really hot and went comatose.. The skunk was still in our mind that it was dead in their pen and made us think that maybe it had rabies. Had her head sent off and it tested positive. Meanwhile, the calf quit eating. Before that time I was trying to get it to eat grain so my hand was in his mouth a lot...from what I remember, the calf just withered away over a couple of days until it could no longer stand. When the positive test came back, the calf was past saving and we though, could it also be rabies. Sent it off to and it was positive.. No one was going to get rabies from the dog, but our kids were young and I wasn't 100% sure that at some point they didn't let her lick them..she was very friendly, just in case they all got shots. I though, was exposed. I had a bunch of cuts on my hand from working cows, I remember the calfs milk soaked mouth stung my cuts when I tried getting him to eat grain after his bottle.... I always think back that if I had never picked up that dog, I would have never guessed rabies in the calf. If rabies wasn't diagnosed, I would have gone on with my life until I got rabies...lol...although I can seem like i'm rabid at times. Very scary period of our life. The shots made me so sick.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 pm

I had a friend that had been exposed to rabid cattle in a feedlot. If I remember correct there weren't any out standing symptoms, they just weren't right and didn't respond to treatment. Finally one was checked for rabies and found to have it. Every one in contact with the cattle had to have shots.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 am

I’ve heard sometimes cattle get real nervous and fidgity with rabies. Also heard they will move the tail head like a pump jack when walking. Friend of mine had a horse get it earlier this year, it’s a long story put luckily he decided to send the head off. He said it’s just one shot based on your body weight now but it hurts like all get out.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:47 am

I have never ever thought about a cow getting rabies before and have now been informed, thanks to this post.

Sorry about the loss! It's hard losing one.
0 x

Hook2.0
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Hook2.0 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:05 am

Rabid animals also have an aversion to water, that is why they foam at the mouth. The real problem with rabies is once it’s symptomatic, it’s untreatable. Humans too
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:35 pm

I am kind of wondering about mint poisoning now. It was mentioned in another thread. We always have quite a bit growing in areas that flood in winter, but it seems like the cows don't eat it. It is flowering right now and smells very strong, so I would not think they would consume it as long as there still is grass. I have never seen a cow eat it and they leave the grass where Mint is intermixed, but calves tend to be willing to try more things. Mine will chew on every twine string they find tied to a gate and they are always mouthing things to see if they are edible. There is a winter pond right next to where the calf was laying in the shade. It is dry now and the entire bottom is covered in a beautiful purple carpet of mint. Apparently pneumonia is a symptom of Mint poisoning. I've never had an issue with Mint before, but I have never had an issue with pneumonia either.
0 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:03 pm

Based on your location, your mint is likely Pennyroyal and consequently not the culprit in your calf's situation. Highly unpalatable as you know and from everything I've read, non toxic/poisonous. Overview:
https://wric.ucdavis.edu/information/natural%20areas/wr_M/Mentha.pdf
As an aside, hay twine is a magnet for those little suckers (pun intended) even when its snugged up tight and the ends trimmed short. :roll:
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”