Is the hardiness of cattle breeds ruined?

Cattle problems.
Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Is the hardiness of cattle breeds ruined?

Postby Allenw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:50 am

Ebenezer wrote:Need some data on native North american species of cattle to compare.

There are some feral cattle on islands in Alaska, that would be about as close as one could get. I believe Pharo had something in one of his news letters about some of them.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:55 am

Just being honest. Folks are always asking questions that have no basis. And if we really want to be honest, the story of the bison has not really been the same for eons if we read up on something other than what has been re-written for history. An eye opener: a book titled 1491.

How would you ever compare unmanaged Spanish decent cattle on a range to selected animals in an intensive grazing program? Do the folks who ask these questions also keep their kids out of public school because they get no immunizations for them? Sort of a re-occurring question for no real start or finish. Personally, I'd prefer to own and perpetuate live cattle and livestock.
0 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 am

An eye opener: a book titled 1491.

As are 1493 and The Wizard and the Prophet. His other books are on my must read list.
0 x

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:07 am

What about the Adams family in south Florida that started Braford they run 10,000 or so cattle 98% of their only see humans like once or twice a year and their cattle are hardy and healthy also the Morman Ranch in central Fl they run veI belive about 20,000 head they do not work their cattle like some people do it is survival of the fittest I am sure they have some system to see which cows calve every year but that would be about all.
1 x
If you are going to be stupid you gotta be tough

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am

True Grit Farms wrote:There's a lot of time and money spent on pastures, water, and minerals to keep our cattle healthy. So that me got thinking about people, those that eat right and live right don't hardly get sick. So why can't a cow be the same under ideal conditions? We all know thin cows are the first to get sick and die in harsh conditions, don't usually breed back on time, or raise the nicest calf even if they've been properly vaccinated. I think proper nutrition is more important than vaccines if you want to have healthy cattle.

Come here ,, and I'll show you some places that are managed in the opposite direction.... It's a little scary.. Raising cattle,it takes a whole lotta """common sense"""...
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:48 am

Ebenezer wrote:Just being honest. Folks are always asking questions that have no basis. And if we really want to be honest, the story of the bison has not really been the same for eons if we read up on something other than what has been re-written for history. An eye opener: a book titled 1491.

How would you ever compare unmanaged Spanish decent cattle on a range to selected animals in an intensive grazing program? Do the folks who ask these questions also keep their kids out of public school because they get no immunizations for them? Sort of a re-occurring question for no real start or finish. Personally, I'd prefer to own and perpetuate live cattle and livestock.

Totally agree.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:57 pm

msplmtneer wrote:What about the Adams family in south Florida that started Braford they run 10,000 or so cattle 98% of their only see humans like once or twice a year and their cattle are hardy and healthy also the Morman Ranch in central Fl they run veI belive about 20,000 head they do not work their cattle like some people do it is survival of the fittest I am sure they have some system to see which cows calve every year but that would be about all.

Not that I don't agree with what you've said but,You'd be surprised ...I've heard of some of those old cows that drop dead on their way to the catch pen ...running that many head ain't no big loss, for those outfits..it took Adams some time before they found what would work for them..some of their first attempts melted like snowballs.before the landed on the Braford ..I'm sure you'll see plenty of bones laying around here and there...if I Lose one, my whole world comes apart :cowboy:
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:With all the different vaccination and worming protocols, people supplementing cattle with feed and minerals have we have taken the hardiness out of the cattle breeds? We have definitely made it easy for cattle to be able to survive and reproduce even if their not hardy. Sometimes I feel we're our own worst enemy.

No more so than we've also affected our own ability to survive, flourish, and multiply.
4 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 pm

TexasBred wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:With all the different vaccination and worming protocols, people supplementing cattle with feed and minerals have we have taken the hardiness out of the cattle breeds? We have definitely made it easy for cattle to be able to survive and reproduce even if their not hardy. Sometimes I feel we're our own worst enemy.

No more so than we've also affected our own ability to survive, flourish, and multiply.
Pretty much right , we ate dirt, lead paint, rode bikes without helmets and much much more , and we're still here . As crusty as we may be , we have survived .
2 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 pm

TexasBred wrote:

Maybe we've just at some point, began to view our livestock similar to how we view ourselves?

I'm pretty sure, if ticks were to suddenly return to this area like they were in the mid 60s, the cattle here wouldn't be able to cope worth a crap even with modern anti parasitic treatment, much less just running them thru a vat once/year.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:14 am

Vince

I meant to ask you! You started this thread. Is this subject just a curiosity or are there issues occurring in your herd that indicate a lack of hardiness - such as poor condition, feet problems, disease, etc?
0 x
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:27 am

Calving problems?
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:32 am

Bright Raven wrote:Vince

I meant to ask you! You started this thread. Is this subject just a curiosity or are there issues occurring in your herd that indicate a lack of hardiness - such as poor condition, feet problems, disease, etc?

No problems in our herd besides the cows only have one calf a year.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Vince

No problems in our herd besides the cows only have one calf a year.

Mine have the same issue. Dam Simmentals.
0 x
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:42 am

Angus and Hereford share the same affliction.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Return to “Health & Nutrition”