Flies

Cattle problems.
Texas Gal
Rancher
Rancher

Flies

Postby Texas Gal » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 am

We've had some rain in the last few days ( Thank you, Lord). Now the flies have gone from practically zero to a gazillion. We were checking some pairs in the east pasture yesterday evening. They had probably 250-300 flies per cow! I had checked them about mid-week and found just a few flies on them. It was terrible. I drove back to the barn, mixed up fly spray and sprayed them all down. I honestly don't remember having flies that bad in the past.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Flies

Postby slick4591 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:00 am

Same over here. I have one pasture where the heifers don't give a rat's butt about getting sprayed, and the adults in the other think it's a death ray so I can't get near them with it. Guess I'm going to have to get those penned up just to spray them.
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am

They have been bad here for 75 days or more. The sprays I’ve been using last about 2 weeks unless it rains.Most of our cows have got to where I can spray them while they eat. Only a couple ran off this weekend. The calves are harder to get.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:51 pm

Everybody that I know in this area has the same problem this year. Now with the rain, can't do anything until it stops.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:50 pm

When will the love bugs start?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:42 pm

Add me to the same situation. I just sprayed 10 days ago and they're covered already. We've had spotty rain & most of them are at the lake so spraying again is pointless right now.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 pm

kenny thomas wrote:When will the love bugs start?

Please.... I'm still trying to forget last years horde...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:47 pm

greybeard wrote:

Please.... I'm still trying to forget last years horde...

Yep , and last years horde came after the hurricane rains. Some places got that much rain today
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:04 am

I usually use Ultra Boss and have pretty good luck with the flies...so I thought I'd change it up a little and got some Cyclence...not been very happy with its performance at all. Actually, I think I saw the flies on a cows back drinking the stuff to get drunk LOL! I hate flies!

Tim
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:08 am

elkwc wrote:They have been bad here for 75 days or more. The sprays I’ve been using last about 2 weeks unless it rains.Most of our cows have got to where I can spray them while they eat. Only a couple ran off this weekend. The calves are harder to get.

Would gladly spray every to weeks if it would just rain to wash it off.....

Been here since May.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:06 am

Agree C&D...Cylence is vastly over rated for fly as well as lice control.
0 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:07 am

Whoops...make that D&C.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:I usually use Ultra Boss and have pretty good luck with the flies...so I thought I'd change it up a little and got some Cyclence...not been very happy with its performance at all. Actually, I think I saw the flies on a cows back drinking the stuff to get drunk LOL! I hate flies!

Tim

I was rotating between Ultra Boss and Ultra Saber. Now I’m buying concentrated sprays with their active ingredients and mixing with mineral oil. So far has worked well and a lot cheaper. Less than $50.00 to spray 190 had including calves. I try to rotate at least every 3rd time I spray. When using the premixed sprays it costs over $150.00 depending on what I used.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:52 pm

We've been using Permectrin for fly control. They've been bad this year. Literal swarms as cattle graze. While the Permectrin hasn't resolved the issue, it has helped a lot.

When we purchased that, we also purchased a little sprayer to hook into our side by side. So, we just mix the concentrate and spray as we cube them. We have to re-apply every two weeks but they like to bathe in the dams and we've had a lot of blessed rain.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:25 am

elkwc wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:I usually use Ultra Boss and have pretty good luck with the flies...so I thought I'd change it up a little and got some Cyclence...not been very happy with its performance at all. Actually, I think I saw the flies on a cows back drinking the stuff to get drunk LOL! I hate flies!

Tim

I was rotating between Ultra Boss and Ultra Saber. Now I’m buying concentrated sprays with their active ingredients and mixing with mineral oil. So far has worked well and a lot cheaper. Less than $50.00 to spray 190 had including calves. I try to rotate at least every 3rd time I spray. When using the premixed sprays it costs over $150.00 depending on what I used.

Having tried both. we use diesel instead of mineral oil. Cheaper, lasts longer, works better. Downside: cows can smell it more and try to get away.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”