Ringworm?

Cattle problems.
User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Ringworm?

Postby Black and Good » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:18 am

I'm sure this has been discussed before but, are there any "sure fire cures" for clearing up ringworm. One up my show calves has all of the sudden developed it. Thanks B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6924
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Ringworm?

Postby M-5 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:30 am

need to find the right ear of a bull bat , 3 tuffs of hair from albino coon and crush all this up and add to a paste of Vaseline, apply it on the 15th of a month that ends in T. wait 3 days then sprinkle it with swamp water out of an old turtle shell. In about a month it will be gone.
1 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Black and Good » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:12 am

M-5 wrote:need to find the right ear of a bull bat , 3 tuffs of hair from albino coon and crush all this up and add to a paste of Vaseline, apply it on the 15th of a month that ends in T. wait 3 days then sprinkle it with swamp water out of an old turtle shell. In about a month it will be gone.

LOL!
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: Ringworm?

Postby TCRanch » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:45 pm

I remember seeing sure-fire cures for ringworm and I did scrub one of them with a toothbrush & iodine but we had our first real outbreak earlier this year & my vet said to leave it be, would clear up in a couple months. It did. No scars, nothing, can't even tell which ones had it - and that includes the one I "doctored" twice a day for 2 weeks. BUT when are you showing this calf? There's probably something faster/better than sunlight & time.
0 x

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Black and Good » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:12 pm

TCRanch wrote:I remember seeing sure-fire cures for ringworm and I did scrub one of them with a toothbrush & iodine but we had our first real outbreak earlier this year & my vet said to leave it be, would clear up in a couple months. It did. No scars, nothing, can't even tell which ones had it - and that includes the one I "doctored" twice a day for 2 weeks. BUT when are you showing this calf? There's probably something faster/better than sunlight & time.



He'll be shown in late October. Thanks for your input. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:11 am

I show cattle and generally can get it cleaned up to pass a vet health check in a week.
I am NOT susceptible to ringworm, so I do not protect myself.
I use a curry comb, scrape all the dry crusty (even around the edges under the hair) until you are down to raw skin & it probably will bleed. Pour clorox on it. Cover it with vaseline. Put vaseline on it 2-3 times a day. I use my thumb nail and scrape the vaseline into the skin. By day 3 or 4 should have healthy soft skin.
Biggest thing is to keep an eye out for NEW ones. I wash cattle with EQ Solution and it acts as a fungicide, helping not to spread it. Be sure to clean your curry comb and any other equipment (clippers) so you don't spread to others.
Ringworm is like a child hood disease. Once they have it and goes away, they never "should" get it again. Any calves outside, I just let it run it's course and let any of them catch it. It's strictly a cosmetic issue.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4316
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Ringworm?

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:21 am

Sunshine
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:02 am

Yes, everyone says sunshine is good for it, and it may be, but, that may not get rid of it in time for his show. Especially if he gets more spots - which is very likely.
Sunshine is all my "normal" calves get for a cure, but not my show string.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Black and Good » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Thanks everyone. So far I've poured him with Warbex and put grease on it. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5693
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl

Re: Ringworm?

Postby dieselbeef » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:58 pm

50% bleach
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9306
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Black and Good wrote:Thanks everyone. So far I've poured him with Warbex and put grease on it. B&G

Isn't Warbex a pesticide? That is not going to help ringworm at all. Ringworm is not a worm - it is a FUNGUS. The reason I keep vaseline (or greese) is to SMOTHER it. It needs air to live.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5693
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am
Location: myakka city fl

Re: Ringworm?

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:09 am

hence the bleach..kills fungus...cheap..easy..vet recommended
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein


sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7588
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:23 am

I don't get a single case here. I take a bull out to Fire Sweep and in a month, they have it. Ringworm fungus is ubiquitous so I know the spores are here, but there is something that prevents it in their environment here. IDK
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Black and Good
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1558
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Eastern Kansas

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Black and Good » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 am

Bright Raven wrote:I don't get a single case here. I take a bull out to Fire Sweep and in a month, they have it. Ringworm fungus is ubiquitous so I know the spores are here, but there is something that prevents it in their environment here. IDK

Interesting, I guess it must be like lice huh? B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7588
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Ringworm?

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:36 am

Black and Good wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I don't get a single case here. I take a bull out to Fire Sweep and in a month, they have it. Ringworm fungus is ubiquitous so I know the spores are here, but there is something that prevents it in their environment here. IDK

Interesting, I guess it must be like lice huh? B&G


Ringworm is a Lot different than lice. Not sure what you mean? I guess you mean they are everywhere. That is probably true.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests