Postby 76 Bar » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:47 am

I've lived long enough nothing surprises me, eh! VBG
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: I'm confused

Postby Nesikep » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:38 pm

checked on her this morning, she was laying down, had a little bit of clear discharge.. I'll just keep watching her
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Postby Aaron » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:36 pm

Nesikep wrote:Udder feels good, just full.. doesn't kick if I touch it.

I'd be pulling on each tit and seeing what comes out. I've dealt with enough mastitis to know that looking good and feeling good doesn't mean squat.

"The most common way to detect clinical mastitis is stripping a few squirts of milk into a strip cup at the beginning of milking to check for abnormalities such as clots and flakes.

Visual observation and palpating the udder for signs of inflammation can also help identify clinical mastitis but should not substitute for stripping."
0 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:31 am

Aaron wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Udder feels good, just full.. doesn't kick if I touch it.

I'd be pulling on each tit and seeing what comes out. I've dealt with enough mastitis to know that looking good and feeling good doesn't mean squat.

"The most common way to detect clinical mastitis is stripping a few squirts of milk into a strip cup at the beginning of milking to check for abnormalities such as clots and flakes.

Visual observation and palpating the udder for signs of inflammation can also help identify clinical mastitis but should not substitute for stripping."

did that today, it's clean milk (doesn't look like colostrum, of course it's not like she built up colostrum for a long time before anyhow)
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:00 am

Just a note of interest. You should NEVER open a teat prior to calving. You remove the natural "plug", therefore opening up the possibility of bacteria getting into the udder.
If you have a teat dip that is colored, or take a teat dip & add food coloring (like blue). Dip her teats and you will know if a calf sucks her (blue teats will get cleaned off). Before cameras in my calving pens, I would do that if I was in doubt that the newborn sucked.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:24 am

There is a malfunction with her endocrine system. It could start with the "master" gland in the brain - the pituitary. It has unbalanced her hormone secretions and her body is responding to the hormones that cause milk production. Phytoestrogens in clover have been documented to cause this condition. In your case, it is more likely a foul up in the pituitary.

There is no response from you that is needed. The endocrine system needs to reset. Unless, there is a tumor on one of the glands such as an ovary or on the pituitary.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Bright Raven wrote:There is a malfunction with her endocrine system. It could start with the "master" gland in the brain - the pituitary. It has unbalanced her hormone secretions and her body is responding to the hormones that cause milk production. Phytoestrogens in clover have been documented to cause this condition. In your case, it is more likely a foul up in the pituitary.

There is no response from you that is needed. The endocrine system needs to reset. Unless, there is a tumor on one of the glands such as an ovary or on the pituitary.

Nesi, hit control/alt/del to reset or something like that.

Ken
3 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:51 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:There is a malfunction with her endocrine system. It could start with the "master" gland in the brain - the pituitary. It has unbalanced her hormone secretions and her body is responding to the hormones that cause milk production. Phytoestrogens in clover have been documented to cause this condition. In your case, it is more likely a foul up in the pituitary.

Nesi, hit control/alt/del to reset or something like that.

Ken

Where is Ctrl/Alt/Del on a cow? tail, a hoof and the nose? Must be done with one hand?
4 x
-Christopher Hitchens

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:47 pm

One thing, since she aborted once, and now would be 6 months along, if she were to have aborted again, she may very well have come to some milk. And this "premature" it would likely NOT look like colostrum. If she is anywhere you can get her in, I'd preg check her. If she is still carrying a calf, then I'd chalk it up to some hormone issues and not worry about it unless she gets hard or real tight and it looks like mastitis.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:51 pm

One other thing, I had a jersey that "came in heat" and I mean full standing heat, all during one pregnancy. Had her preg chckd 4 times and calved 2 days before her original due date. Are you sure she aborted? And have had a cow abort a twin one time that was dead inside her, but went on to carry the other twin to full term and calved right about when she was due.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:17 pm

farmerjan wrote:One other thing, I had a jersey that "came in heat" and I mean full standing heat, all during one pregnancy. Had her preg chckd 4 times and calved 2 days before her original due date. Are you sure she aborted? And have had a cow abort a twin one time that was dead inside her, but went on to carry the other twin to full term and calved right about when she was due.

No, I'm not sure about anything with her right now.. I will preg check her, but I'm dealing with 4 cows with pneumonia right now.. got bigger problems to deal with!

I did have one cow in full standing heat a month or two before calving before.. rare but it does happen.
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 am

Sorry you are having pnuemonia problems. Seems to be alot of it this year. Knock on wood, not been a problem here.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”