Guess the weight

Cattle problems.
artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Guess the weightq

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
artesianspringsfarm wrote:One more of this pair while we wait for a few more guesses. This is from 9/1. If it changes anyone's mind, go back and edit your post. Maybe I will send the winner some syrup. I know at least Vince will take it more seriously if I dangle that carrot.

Image

I can't believe we didn't make the time to get up there this year. I had big plans on going salmon fishing this fall, bought waders, fly rod and some tackle. With the moon on the grow are the salmon starting up the river? Anyone who hasn't had your maple syrup is missing out.



First big run must have started in the last two days judging by all the clowns in the river. I gotta get out there before Saturday since I will be out of town for a week after that.
1 x

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Contact:

Re: Guess the weight

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:30 pm

cow 1000, calf 375
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5368
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Guess the weight

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:36 pm

1089/437 more as an effort to be closer than bball :)
1 x

bmcdonald
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:45 am
Location: grimes county texas

Re: Guess the weight

Postby bmcdonald » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 pm

calf 375
momma 1005
0 x
Why would you step over a dollar to pick up a dime
Welcome to the cattle business

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8111
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Guess the weight

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 pm

Calf 345, cow 935
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Guess the weight

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Figures a lousy "hobby trader" like Kenny would go and ruin the game :-D. Off by a whopping 25 lbs. total. Cow is 986 and the calf is 321. If I can step on my soapbox for a minute, this is the elusive 1100 cow that many of you dont think exists. 1000 lbs. now and will be another 100 pounds heavier next summer and top out there. I will bet good solid money she will be in my pasture a lot longer than some of the 16-1800 tanks I see on here and also that I have. And when I have enough just like her, if I need to mash the scales, I will use a Charolais or Simmental to make it happen but it will be an all terminal cross. I can afford to do that because she will last long enough that I dont need to replace her for another 10 years. Of course, this pair is actually for sale this weekend because I am getting to have quite a few just like them.

On another note, I do think maybe the first picture made the calf look taller than she is, but are some of you who guessed 500+ pounds seriously expecting that out of a straight angus calf thats 4 months old? That calf will be 550+ when weaned and 700+ when bred and 850+ when she has her first calf. Just how I like em.
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 403
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:11 am
Location: TX

Re: Guess the weight

Postby Lucky » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Well going by the old 2 pounds a day plus the birth weight rule the calf is on target. I like the smaller 1,000 - 1,150 pound cows too. It’s really neat to be able say “look at that big cow, she can eat a whole bale of hay all by herself”. But in the end the moderate frame cows just seem to last longer.
0 x

RyanE7
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 am
Location: Manitoba

Re: Guess the weight

Postby RyanE7 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 pm

calf: 500
cow: 1200

Edit: lol i didnt go to the next page :D
0 x

User avatar
Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Eastern Canada

Re: Guess the weight

Postby Supa Dexta » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:15 am

Lucky wrote:Well going by the old 2 pounds a day plus the birth weight rule the calf is on target.


Thats a poor target.

Gotta be doing atleast 2.4/2.5 here or they dont stick around, even as heifers. Cows should be closer to 3. I weighed a few a couple weeks back that are similar age and around 350 (on heifers), so I added 25lbs to my guess. Cow looked tall for 1000 lb'er
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7802
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Guess the weight

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:31 am

artesianspringsfarm wrote:Figures a lousy "hobby trader" like Kenny would go and ruin the game :-D. Off by a whopping 25 lbs. total. Cow is 986 and the calf is 321. If I can step on my soapbox for a minute, this is the elusive 1100 cow that many of you dont think exists. 1000 lbs. now and will be another 100 pounds heavier next summer and top out there. I will bet good solid money she will be in my pasture a lot longer than some of the 16-1800 tanks I see on here and also that I have. And when I have enough just like her, if I need to mash the scales, I will use a Charolais or Simmental to make it happen but it will be an all terminal cross. I can afford to do that because she will last long enough that I dont need to replace her for another 10 years. Of course, this pair is actually for sale this weekend because I am getting to have quite a few just like them.

On another note, I do think maybe the first picture made the calf look taller than she is, but are some of you who guessed 500+ pounds seriously expecting that out of a straight angus calf thats 4 months old? That calf will be 550+ when weaned and 700+ when bred and 850+ when she has her first calf. Just how I like em.

I figured since we adverage 2+lbs gain on our sorry grass you should be closer to 3 lbs on your grass and clover mix. Maybe the calf was a little late being born and it's system hasn't been able to take advantage of the available forage? The cow looks like she's putting all she can into the calf. I'd be interested to see what that cow could do if bred to a terminal GAR bull.
On a side note you have the cow equation figured out. You can't raise a moderate size cow using bulls that look like the pictures that are posted on CT. If you want larger weaning weights your going to need a larger bull. AI would be really beneficial to your operation.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Guess the weight

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:16 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
artesianspringsfarm wrote:Figures a lousy "hobby trader" like Kenny would go and ruin the game :-D. Off by a whopping 25 lbs. total. Cow is 986 and the calf is 321. If I can step on my soapbox for a minute, this is the elusive 1100 cow that many of you dont think exists. 1000 lbs. now and will be another 100 pounds heavier next summer and top out there. I will bet good solid money she will be in my pasture a lot longer than some of the 16-1800 tanks I see on here and also that I have. And when I have enough just like her, if I need to mash the scales, I will use a Charolais or Simmental to make it happen but it will be an all terminal cross. I can afford to do that because she will last long enough that I dont need to replace her for another 10 years. Of course, this pair is actually for sale this weekend because I am getting to have quite a few just like them.

On another note, I do think maybe the first picture made the calf look taller than she is, but are some of you who guessed 500+ pounds seriously expecting that out of a straight angus calf thats 4 months old? That calf will be 550+ when weaned and 700+ when bred and 850+ when she has her first calf. Just how I like em.

I figured since we adverage 2+lbs gain on our sorry grass you should be closer to 3 lbs on your grass and clover mix. Maybe the calf was a little late being born and it's system hasn't been able to take advantage of the available forage? The cow looks like she's putting all she can into the calf. I'd be interested to see what that cow could do if bred to a terminal GAR bull.
On a side note you have the cow equation figured out. You can't raise a moderate size cow using bulls that look like the pictures that are posted on CT. If you want larger weaning weights your going to need a larger bull. AI would be really beneficial to your operation.



Vince,

I think I've been on this board for about 5 years and I've only been breeding beef cattle for 6-7 but I've said for the last 4-5 my goal is to consistently grow my her by retaining females that I know will be long-lasting, maternal cows after all the mess I started with by having a mix of all the "best" mainstream Angus genetics. I'm making progress on that front even quicker than I would have guessed by using "rat-tail inbred bullz" to borrow your phrase on another thread. I am to the point where if I cant secure more land, I will be at a little impasse for a few years. If thats what happens, you will get to see what some of these moderate cows can do with a charolais calf at their side and I think it will surprise some people. The catch is, you can bet that none of those calves, bulls or heifers are going to stay here. I just dont get how so many of you think you can get away with chasing Ribeye this and hanging weight that without realizing you are creating a nightmare of a cow herd but to each their own. I havent chimed in on the other thread because Ebenezer has pretty much said exactly how I feel and I dont have much to add other than I would enjoy seeing some of Ebenezer's cows too.
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Guess the weight

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:33 am

BTW,

This is the moderately inbred, old genetics, crappy EPD bull that sired the runty calf out of the mongrel cow. :-D

https://youtu.be/E49MKuKymEU

He works for me.
0 x

User avatar
Silver
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country

Re: Guess the weight

Postby Silver » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 am

artesianspringsfarm wrote: I just dont get how so many of you think you can get away with chasing Ribeye this and hanging weight that without realizing you are creating a nightmare of a cow herd but to each their own.


My nightmare cow herd does just fine thank you very much.
1 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:02 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Guess the weight

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:43 am

Silver wrote:
artesianspringsfarm wrote: I just dont get how so many of you think you can get away with chasing Ribeye this and hanging weight that without realizing you are creating a nightmare of a cow herd but to each their own.


My nightmare cow herd does just fine thank you very much.


That "mutt" cow you posted is anything but a nightmare. I would also guess she cant be over 1300 lbs? Don't misunderstand me. I'm by no means saying that everyone needs a back angus, very maternal, cow herd. To each their own. But at the same time, the way I see you blending to get the best of what every breed has to offer makes a ton of sense to me, especially for a guy who needs both a good cow herd and feeders every year. Do you replace from your own stock or buy in heifers as well as bulls?
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7802
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Guess the weight

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:15 am

Why a Charolais bull? There's not much tenderness or marble there. You can breed terminal to Angus or SimAngus bulls with good beef meat numbers and still sell to your target market. And then breed your keeper cows to your bull and hope for heifers to retain as replacements. We sell our cows by the pound and normally a powerful bull will give you more pounds at weaning and there's no question about that. The buyers at the commercial and elite sales like the bigger heifers, I prefer a smaller well put together heifer so it works out good. Here's something you might find interesting, our adverage cow is 3 - 4 hundred pounds lighter then it was 6 years ago. But our weaning weights are less than 50 lbs lighter, and if we fed like we did 5 years ago I feel we could get within 25 lbs. I know genetics plays a part in weaning weights, but cross breeding seems to play a major role in the size of the calf at weaning also.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests