Losing Cows

Cattle problems.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Losing Cows

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:48 pm

Lucky_P what do you do on your own herd?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:59 am

If we experienced it... we'd be vaccinating.
In the face of an outbreak, we'd treat affected animals with Long-acting oxytetracycline injection and, I guess, start feeding.. somehow... CTC.

As I've related in the past, whole-herd treatment with LA-OTC may prolong the outbreak - if you treat animals in the early, incubation stage of the infection, as soon as the drug wears off, the pathogen picks right back up where it left off, and you may have new clinical cases 3-6 weeks later, when you're thinking you're 'home free'.
I'll dig around my files and see if I can find an overview I wrote a while back.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:28 am

Lucky_P wrote:If we experienced it... we'd be vaccinating.
In the face of an outbreak, we'd treat affected animals with Long-acting oxytetracycline injection and, I guess, start feeding.. somehow... CTC.

As I've related in the past, whole-herd treatment with LA-OTC may prolong the outbreak - if you treat animals in the early, incubation stage of the infection, as soon as the drug wears off, the pathogen picks right back up where it left off, and you may have new clinical cases 3-6 weeks later, when you're thinking you're 'home free'.
I'll dig around my files and see if I can find an overview I wrote a while back.

Is there a vaccine that you could reference? I could find only one vaccine and it is described as experimental.

Currently, there is only one vaccine available for the disease, manufactured by University Products LLC, Louisiana State University (LSU), Baton Rouge, La.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Postby Lucky_P » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 am

That's it.
'Experimental' is govt. regulatory speak.
It's a formerly fully licensed product that's been around for 30+ years... but was dropped by the big vet biologics manufacturers and released back to the folks who initially developed it.
1 x

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cjmc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:03 am

Bright Raven wrote:Lucky_P posted this on the thread "Anaplasmosis".

The level of CTC allowed in mineral will only protect up to a 750 lb animal - and then, only if they're eating their theoretical 4oz of mineral every day. There's (That's) not enough, and consumption is so variable, that I would never trust CTC-medicated mineral to provide 'protection' for mature cows/bulls. It might help, but the likelihood of 'breakthrough' cases is pretty high.
For effective 'control' of clinical disease, cattle need to consume 0.5mg CTC/lb body weight DAILY throughout the vector season(Apr-Nov here). Note that those animals consuming that level of CTC can/will still become infected... they just will be far less likely to develop clinical illness and die.

I think he miss interpreted what he heard/read. There are two label claims, one for cattle UP TO 700 lbs. And then one for cattle over 700 lbs. The dose is bw dependent, legal dose range is .5 to 2.0 mg/lb body weight/day to treat an "active case". If it's at 2.0mg/lb of bw for your size of cows and you typically get consistent mineral intake I think you would get somewhat reliable control, but certainly not perfect.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:13 pm

We have a trivalent vaccine to cover 2 Babesia sp as well as Anaplasma marginale. It is a live vaccine and basically consists of diluted blood containing attenuated organisms. You order it as needed and is made up and dispatched immediately and has to be used within 72hrs. One dose is all that is needed. I routinely do all my bull calves just after weaning as at that age you don't get the occaisional reaction. I live west of the ranges and ticks are not an issue however once you go east of me down to the coast ticks are endemic along with Tick Fever. Vaccinating allows my bulls to be sold to the coast with minimal risk.

Ken
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:16 pm

Lucky_P wrote:That's it.
It's a formerly fully licensed product that's been around for 30+ years... but was dropped by the big vet biologics manufacturers and released back to the folks who initially developed it.

What's the name of the vaccine
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Lucky_P wrote:That's it.

What's the name of the vaccine

Kenny, I don't know if they've actually named it and at least initially it wasn't available in all states. I do know that one of the breeders where we buy bulls uses it and most likely gets it through their vet but the 2nd link below provides contact info for University Products, LLC (manufacturer).
http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/extra/ ... mosis.html
http://anaplasmosisvaccine.com/aboutus.html
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:30 am

Why I Am Not Going to Vaccinate. Yet!

1. It has not occurred in my herd but it has occurred in this region.

2. It is not transmitted from cow to cow. The cow has to get it primarily from a TICK. Flies are not thought to be a vector of importance.

3. I change needles between each cow.

4. I see my cows everyday and I keep them treated for ectoparasites.

There is a study being conducted in Kansas that is focused on determining what percentage of the tick population actually has Anaplasma ssp. in their system. The researcher is doing the work as part of the requirements for a PhD at Kansas State. He has collected thousands of ticks and is in the process of determining what percentage of them are harboring the Anaplasma ssp.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”