Losing Cows

Cattle problems.
rollinhills
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Losing Cows

Postby rollinhills » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:17 pm

Anaplasmosis is the verdict, going to start treating them in the morning. He said he's seen 4 other farms with it in the last ten days must be getting bad around here.
2 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:03 pm

rollinhills wrote:Anaplasmosis is the verdict, going to start treating them in the morning. He said he's seen 4 other farms with it in the last ten days must be getting bad around here.

Sorry to hear. But, glad that you have a definitive diagnosis. Glad that y'all will be getting treatment started right away.
Good luck!

Thanks for the update.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:34 pm

rollinhills wrote:Anaplasmosis is the verdict, going to start treating them in the morning. He said he's seen 4 other farms with it in the last ten days must be getting bad around here.

Is this transmitted by ticks?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:58 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

Is this transmitted by ticks?

Yes. Ticks are the primary vector.

It pays to use UltraBoss or Ultrasabre because they also repel ticks.
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Did he do a blood stained blood smear or is he just guessing?

Ken
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:09 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Did he do a blood stained blood smear or is he just guessing?

Ken

Lol. I bet he is guessing. :hide:

Maybe took a sample to confirm. I am only an hour from rollinhills. There have been cases here. This is one reason I use UltraBoss on their back and spray their feet and navel with permethrin.
0 x
Diogenes.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:21 pm

I know nothing on this subject but it seems we are north of what is reported as being the problem area. Mostly tropical. Says north to 32 S and were north of that a bit.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:33 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I know nothing on this subject but it seems we are north of what is reported as being the problem area. Mostly tropical. Says north to 32 S and were north of that a bit.

Don't put too much stock in that! It would be a bad investment. Dr. Darin Stanfield gave an hour long presentation at the UK Extension office in Maysville. The movement of cattle over the last 5 years has made those distribution maps of recent years obsolete.
0 x
Diogenes.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:32 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I know nothing on this subject but it seems we are north of what is reported as being the problem area. Mostly tropical. Says north to 32 S and were north of that a bit.

Don't put too much stock in that! It would be a bad investment. Dr. Darin Stanfield gave an hour long presentation at the UK Extension office in Maysville. The movement of cattle over the last 5 years has made those distribution maps of recent years obsolete.

Ok, so does the problem go away in the winter?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:46 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

The disease can still be transmitted mechanically by needle. If it is in your herd. Some cattle become carriers. So no, it can still be a problem.
0 x
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

The disease can still be transmitted mechanically by needle. If it is in your herd. Some cattle become carriers. So no, it can still be a problem.

Just another excellent reason to change needless between cows.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:58 pm

I hate to hear that. any thing that has it and you get them well needs to be sold, and not sold to put back on the farm ''Slaughter Only'' they can be carriers. As for a problem in the winter its not near the problem in the winter. Ticks are the big spreader of it and needles, preg. checking, anything that can transfer blood from one cow to the other. Horse flies about half the vets will swear they can spread it and the other half will say they can't ?????
1 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:03 pm

Vets treat Anaplasmosis around here with medicated mineral... it does take a VFD but a sure way to make sure that you are treating all of your cows. The medication is usually Aureomycin (sp?) in the 5600 dose/serving.
1 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:19 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:Vets treat Anaplasmosis around here with medicated mineral... it does take a VFD but a sure way to make sure that you are treating all of your cows. The medication is usually Aureomycin (sp?) in the 5600 dose/serving.

That is a trade name for Chlortetracycline. Just pass on what Dr. Stanfield said about using mineral.

1. It is not a treatment. It is a form of prevention or control.

2. It is difficult to assure that all cows are getting the levels of Chlortetracycline to prevent the onset of the disease.

3. It is difficult to get mineral with the levels necessary to control anaplasmosis.

BTW: there are threads on anaplasmosis. I know I started one. Lucky_P has made similar comments to those I listed.

Good ectoparasite control is very important. Some of the fly controls also control ticks. Ticks are by far the primary vector.
0 x
Diogenes.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:27 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:Vets treat Anaplasmosis around here with medicated mineral... it does take a VFD but a sure way to make sure that you are treating all of your cows. The medication is usually Aureomycin (sp?) in the 5600 dose/serving.

''Treat Anaplasmosis'' or do you mean they use it as a preventive ?? I used the mineral till you had to have a VFD, there is also a shot you can give them in spring. I think it is two shots the first year then a booster each year after, not for sure maybe some one will say
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Return to “Health & Nutrition”