MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Texas Bred (And anyone else) Feed Analysis

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:15 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Straight liquid. Most common way to feed it around here is in lick wheel tanks.

that makes sence, ive seen them but never used one.

They work real good. It’s just an expensive way to feed cows imo. But it will help utilize some of this low quality standing forage.

ive thought about using it with cows on corn stalks that might be economical
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:04 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
MtnCows93 wrote:that makes sence, ive seen them but never used one.

They work real good. It’s just an expensive way to feed cows imo. But it will help utilize some of this low quality standing forage.

ive thought about using it with cows on corn stalks that might be economical

I think that would be even better than what I’m planning to use it for.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:40 pm

I just don’t like urea. I can’t give you any scientific data just real world experience. Many years ago when we were still trying to build our herd we had a contract with a big operation to be a cooperative herd. We would set up our cattle as recips the first two years we were having conception rates of 65% the first year 70% the second year. The third year we fed liquid feed with urea and our conception rate went to 35%. The only change in management was the liquid feed. When the embryologist started trying to nail down what was going on and we showed him the breakdown of the feed he told us urea would have an adverse effect on conception. Like I said I can’t show any evidence that it was the urea but by golly that was the end of liquid feed for me.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:29 pm

gizmom wrote:I just don’t like urea. I can’t give you any scientific data just real world experience. Many years ago when we were still trying to build our herd we had a contract with a big operation to be a cooperative herd. We would set up our cattle as recips the first two years we were having conception rates of 65% the first year 70% the second year. The third year we fed liquid feed with urea and our conception rate went to 35%. The only change in management was the liquid feed. When the embryologist started trying to nail down what was going on and we showed him the breakdown of the feed he told us urea would have an adverse effect on conception. Like I said I can’t show any evidence that it was the urea but by golly that was the end of liquid feed for me.

Gizmom

I’ve heard this about urea for years. But I know a lot of folks that feed liquid feed. I honestly don’t have the slightest idea if it affects conception. Hard to argue with experience though :tiphat: Could be an expensive lesson to learn.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Health & Nutrition”