Udder Topic

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Udder Topic

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am

As a herd, I am pleased with the udders I see. I have one cow that I plan to cull at the end of this calf season because of udder.

Here are some pictures:
Miss Mo. Second calver:
Tatum. Grandmaster her 5th calf.
Love My Heart. Second calver out of my Flying B Cut Above cow.
Alice. Shear Force. Heifer due Nov. 1.
Optimum Price. First calf. Sired by Cowboy Cut.
Last edited by Bright Raven on Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Redgully
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Udder Topic

Postby Redgully » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 am

Nice udders. Excellent teats. I like udders like that because as the cow ages you don't end up with a saggy baggy udder.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:17 am

yep, teats the size of a thumb are just perfect.. This is the cow I lost this spring at 12 years old.. probably as perfect as it gets for a beef cow.. Mother of my last homeraised bull, so hoping his daughters carry some of that on.. She was Shorthorn Saler

4 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:05 pm

I have always liked cows that had white on their udders... not sure if there is a scientific explanation or not, but they just seem to have the best udders. That, and that is what my dad has always said. Anyone else have any insight to this?
2 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:13 pm

Mr. Winter was one of our mentors when we first got cattle, he always said white on the udder meant more milk. I haven't found that to be true but I can't disprove it either. Keep in mind this was before we had DNA on everything and folks had to breed based on eye appeal and performance, not by numbers. I understand progress in most cases is good but I do believe that having all this data has eliminated some cattle that were just bred to be good but get overlooked because they don't have big numbers. I still like seeing some white on an udder, it reminds me of Mr. Calvin and God bless him he is worth remembering. He sure had some fine Angus cattle over the years.

gizmom
3 x
Respect give it to get it!

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:52 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:I have always liked cows that had white on their udders... not sure if there is a scientific explanation or not, but they just seem to have the best udders. That, and that is what my dad has always said. Anyone else have any insight to this?

You probably weren't looking at herefords. :nod:
5 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:28 pm

TexasBred wrote:
TN Cattle Man wrote:I have always liked cows that had white on their udders... not sure if there is a scientific explanation or not, but they just seem to have the best udders. That, and that is what my dad has always said. Anyone else have any insight to this?

seen some that looked like a bundle of bananas...
2 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:29 pm

Yes Ron, nice looking udders but how do they actually perform? You subsidise their performance by creep feeding and early weaning.

Ken
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:31 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Yes Ron, nice looking udders but how do they actually perform? You subsidise their performance by creep feeding and early weaning.

Ken

They perform well under the demands of my system. If I kept the calves on longer, it would put more stress on the udder.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

seen some that looked like a bundle of bananas...

better than a bundle of turnips, which I've seen
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:38 pm

Speaking of, brings up the Jim Lentz video I saw on linebreeding... shame he paid so much attention to frame score and none to the the udders.. I like the cattle looking at the top half and shudder when I see the udder
1 x
-Christopher Hitchens

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 am

Overall I have been pretty happy with the overall udder quality in our herd... Have culled out some cows with bad udders and only been keeping heifers from our cows with better udders.. I know a lot of people say that the sire influences the udder more than dam but a lot of our heifers udders turn out just like moms..

Both these cows have decent udders but I prefer the red cows udder over the tan cow...

2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 am

both of those have perfectly functioning udders.. I certainly wouldn't have any reservations about keeping calves from the red.
I've found maternal lines very important for udder traits.. after 4 generations of breeding to similar bulls, the maternal lines that started with good udders still have good udders, the ones that didn't, well, they're hit and miss.
0 x
-Christopher Hitchens

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 am

Nesi this is the udder on a heifer we kept from that red cow. She’s a smaller heifer with a smaller bag but she must make ALOT of milk as she is doing good her first year. I imagine her bag will be bigger and so will her tests come next calving but if it stays as nice and uniform as it is it should be good.. I found heifers usually have smaller bags their first year and then come second year they have bags that are noticeably bigger?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 am

Bright Raven wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:Yes Ron, nice looking udders but how do they actually perform? You subsidise their performance by creep feeding and early weaning.

Ken

They perform well under the demands of my system. If I kept the calves on longer, it would put more stress on the udder.
how will you ever find out if their udder will stand up under stress? I've had cows into their Mid 20s that their udders look like heifers...
2 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Return to “Health & Nutrition”