Udder Topic

Cattle problems.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Udder Topic

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:01 am

Bright Raven wrote:Here is a ten year old cow that still has a good udder. She just had a calf yesterday and he already has her nursed.

I still have a couple like that left here, but as soon as the market reaches a $1k for them their gone.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:49 pm

What do you see about that one, that's bad enough to sell..using her in a commercial operation??
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:11 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:What do you see about that one, that's bad enough to sell..using her in a commercial operation??

Just her age, she's a nice cow with some value left in her if sold as a bred cow in the spring. But for how long is the question I always ask myself.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Comments from the kids that have helped us calve the last few years make us feel we are culling properly for udders. If we have to intervene with 10% to get a calf sucking it is far too many.

We have started selling cows as breds at 8 or 9 years old. They are worth a fair bit to others who may calve earlier in a barn or don't have a large bunch and don't mind getting a calf going.

Ron, how many cows do you have that are 8 and older. That is the test.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:45 pm

gcreekrch wrote:Comments from the kids that have helped us calve the last few years make us feel we are culling properly for udders. If we have to intervene with 10% to get a calf sucking it is far too many.

We have started selling cows as breds at 8 or 9 years old. They are worth a fair bit to others who may calve earlier in a barn or don't have a large bunch and don't mind getting a calf going.

Ron, how many cows do you have that are 8 and older. That is the test.

Dave, welcome back. Hope you visit often!

I have 4 that are 8 or older out of a herd of 18. Three are still excellent, one is still functional but the suspension in the back is failing.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Calve in the natural flush and you will know about the udder ASAP.

Yes it will teach you some lessons real fast.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 pm

gcreekrch wrote:We have started selling cows as breds at 8 or 9 years old. They are worth a fair bit to others who may calve earlier in a barn or don't have a large bunch and don't mind getting a calf going.

Selling all, or just problem udders?
0 x
Stocker Steve

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:36 pm

Nesikep wrote:Speaking of, brings up the Jim Lentz video I saw on linebreeding... shame he paid so much attention to frame score and none to the the udders.. I like the cattle looking at the top half and shudder when I see the udder

Nesi I plan to go visit the Lents herd and the Richard Day herds before too long. I have seen this video numerous times. I have also talked to several who have visited his herd and also used his bulls. The reviews are mixed. Some say this video isn't representative of his herd and others say it is. I will wait and see what I think after visiting it. I know some used his bulls to take some frame off after the frame race and had good results and the cows have good udders. Some say you need to pay attention to cow lines when selecting bulls from that herd. Again I will reserve judgement until I see for myself.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 pm

elkwc wrote:Nesi I plan to go visit the Lents herd and the Richard Day herds before too long. I have seen this video numerous times. I have also talked to several who have visited his herd and also used his bulls. The reviews are mixed. Some say this video isn't representative of his herd and others say it is. I will wait and see what I think after visiting it. I know some used his bulls to take some frame off after the frame race and had good results and the cows have good udders. Some say you need to pay attention to cow lines when selecting bulls from that herd. Again I will reserve judgement until I see for myself.

I'm all ears... I hope their udders are better than what I see there, though if they've been linebreeding for so long I'd just have expected consistency there as well.

Maybe the cows are short so your eyes are drawn to their nice topline instead of the udder :P
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:26 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:We have started selling cows as breds at 8 or 9 years old. They are worth a fair bit to others who may calve earlier in a barn or don't have a large bunch and don't mind getting a calf going.

Selling all, or just problem udders?

Selling all while they have value. The last few years our older cows have been bringing as much as the average heifers bring because people are finding out that they really will do a job. The culls get sold with the empties for the kill plant.
1 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Return to “Health & Nutrition”