Liver Abscess

Cattle problems.
HDRider
GURU
GURU

Liver Abscess

Postby HDRider » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:14 am

How often do your cattle develop liver abscesses while you are feeding them out for processing?

Another way of asking this is, how often do you get to eat the liver?

If you routinely have healthy livers, what do you attribute this to?

Thanks
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Liver Abscess

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:27 pm

It's been a long time since I've had a liver condemned. I don't feed a lot of grain. Pretty much an all forage diet supplemented with some form of protein.

More importantly-I am concerned with the amount of grain that is fed to young bulls before production sales. At one time, I had 2-3 that could easily have been considered 'failure to thrive'. After learning about the tremendous amount of grain this particular producer fed-35 lbs per head per day- to achieve impressive sale weights -I felt the bulls were a lost cause and sent them to slaughter. I always attributed their Ethiopian appearance to acidosis from too much grain which caused liver abscesses.
3 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Do you have liver flukes in your area? That could also impact that.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Knock wood, mine have never had liver abscesses. I always get the livers back with the rest of the meat.

I attribute it to the way I feed them, when finishing them. I keep them in a small pasture/lot area, about an acre or 2. They're on grass, usually in late fall, through early winter, along with free-choice good hay & minerals and I give them a mixed feed ration twice a day. A mix of ground corn, soy beans, oats & barley. (a mix I get from a local guy who mills it himself). And of course, fresh clean water.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Chocolate Cow2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Ebenezer-no. we don't have liver flukes or my Veterinarian says they're not an issue. You get some rain?
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:Ebenezer-no. we don't have liver flukes or my Veterinarian says they're not an issue. You get some rain?

3" here. Glad to get it. Fall arrived last night.

Liver flukes are a coastal, swamp issue. Did not know where originator lives.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”